Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rheem vs Ruud

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by boueguy19 View Post
    thanks for sharing your knowledge and wisdom. It gives me some comfort and peace of mind.
    Whichever sticker or plastic name plate you get the Rheem umbrella of brands are some of my favorite however installation is always more important than brand.
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    They quoting AHRI matched systems, as if they are chances both the furnace and A/C section will qualify for money in your pocket rebates. Did they mention rebates to you? Worst case if they are not quoting a matched set, the furnace alone should qualify.

Here’s one site to check for rebates in your state, you can also check your local gas and electric utility company and certainly the bidding Contractors should know all about this.

https://www.dsireusa.org/

In case you do not know this, you don’t go by the rating of the outdoor unit alone to get your SEER and EER rating, hopefully the Contractor and the manufacturers web-site is not letting you believe that you go by the outdoor rating alone as it’s the indoor selection along with the outdoor unit that gives you those numbers. Not real world numbers but needed for rebates, and nice to know your getting a certificate showing your paying and getting a system rated at 17 SEER.

Make sure to register each piece including coil of your system of choice as manufacturers warranty decreases if never registered.

They should be doing some type of startup/ commissioning of your system, annotating your static pressures, final field refrigerant charge, etc. are within manufacturers specifications.

Here’s a generic guide they should follow. Read up on how static pressures are checked and where the probes go.

https://www.energystar.gov/sites/def...n_fillable.pdf

Here’s the web-site to check your ratings if they are installing AHRI matched system. Ask for the number and enter to view certificate.

https://www.ahridirectory.org/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joe View Post
    They quoting AHRI matched systems, as if they are chances both the furnace and A/C section will qualify for money in your pocket rebates. Did they mention rebates to you? Worst case if they are not quoting a matched set, the furnace alone should qualify.

Here’s one site to check for rebates in your state, you can also check your local gas and electric utility company and certainly the bidding Contractors should know all about this.

https://www.dsireusa.org/

In case you do not know this, you don’t go by the rating of the outdoor unit alone to get your SEER and EER rating, hopefully the Contractor and the manufacturers web-site is not letting you believe that you go by the outdoor rating alone as it’s the indoor selection along with the outdoor unit that gives you those numbers. Not real world numbers but needed for rebates, and nice to know your getting a certificate showing your paying and getting a system rated at 17 SEER.

Make sure to register each piece including coil of your system of choice as manufacturers warranty decreases if never registered.

They should be doing some type of startup/ commissioning of your system, annotating your static pressures, final field refrigerant charge, etc. are within manufacturers specifications.

Here’s a generic guide they should follow. Read up on how static pressures are checked and where the probes go.

https://www.energystar.gov/sites/def...n_fillable.pdf

Here’s the web-site to check your ratings if they are installing AHRI matched system. Ask for the number and enter to view certificate.

https://www.ahridirectory.org/
    thank you, I will look into it. They're certainly installing matched units but thanks for these useful resources. I do plan on registering the units on manufacturer website.

Post Likes
    yeah the HVAC sub is very experienced so hoping the install will be amazing and our GC speaks very highly about them. currently we are torn about location of the vents, most of the vents are right below the windows, which seems like the way to go and standard practice. But we are used to keeping windows open even when HVAC is running to get fresh air in, literally throwing the money down the drain. There isn't much I can do to change our habits.

Post Likes
    thank you, I will look into it. They're certainly installing “matched units” but thanks for these useful resources. I do plan on registering the units on manufacturer website.
    What is “matched units” mean to you? A AHRI matched system,….or……a same color, same brand on each section and same tonnage from outdoor unit to indoor coil? If you say latter, and the Contractor is letting you believe that, then that is not a matched system, it’s close but you only get SEER and EER, BTU ratings etc. and a certificate proving it from the web-site given you. Did they mention rebates to you?

Post Likes
    https://www.ahridirectory.org/Home/D...uctTypeId=3500

this is one that comes up for our combinations on ahri website.

Post Likes
    Chances are those ratings will meet minimum standards of your state for rebates, are they going to file the info for you for your money in your pocket rebates, or as some states have, Contractors have to be on a states web-site to offer them other states they do not. Which is yours, if they ( Contractors ) need to be listed to offer rebates are they?

If your proactive with your system, you may want to ask them the sequence of operation in both heat and cool mode, once room temperature is close to set point setting and what happens when the room temperature is further from set point setting to get an idea how your system suppose to work.

Post Likes
    I have no idea. I'm in NJ.

Post Likes
    back in the olden days, equipment manufacturing used to be very regional. So carrier was big in NY trane was big in Wisconsin Lennox was big etc etc etc.

Carrier said hey we want to expand to Indiana but Payne has a big presence there, it’s gonna be really hard to break in, so let’s just buy Payne, use our manufacturing but keep their name since everyone in Indiana knows Payne.

Next thing you know, 5 companies own 40+ brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I have no idea. I'm in NJ.
    https://www.njcleanenergy.com/heatin...ipment-rebates

Says your local utility company offers them.

If the bidding Contractor never mentioned them to you, chances they where not going to help you get them ( as they look to be pretty generous with the amount ) or they are not on a list to offer them. Did not read the info package of what is required from Contactors

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KathleenRol View Post
    So briefly and to the point, that's what I've found on the Internet - "Rheem units tend to be quieter while Ruud units appear to have more solid construction".
    Yeah I came across that article as well. Reads like a fake news, like someone’s got a beef with Ruud. Last night I compared the 24 page specifications for both the same exact Rheem and Ruud units, and they’re identical word to word and number to number.

I’m going to call their 800 number to give them an earful about this and ask them to publish it on their website somewhere that units are exactly the same.

Post Likes
    Yeah I came across that article as well. Reads like a fake news, like someone’s got a beef with Ruud. Last night I compared the 24 page specifications for both the same exact Rheem and Ruud units, and they’re identical word to word and number to number.

I’m going to call their 800 number to give them an earful about this and ask them to publish it on their website somewhere that units are exactly the same.
    Honestly I wouldn’t waste the energy.

They do it for marketing. Every manu does it.

Daikin Amana and Goodman, same
    Trane American standard, same
    Lennox Ducane, same
    York Coleman evcon, same
    Carrier Bryant Payne heil comfortmaker arcoair Tempstar, same
    Rheem Rudd, same

The lady that answers the phone probably doesn’t even know where her ac unit is located at her house. And you think she is gonna care that rheem and Rudd are the same???

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhenergy View Post
    Honestly I wouldn’t waste the energy.

They do it for marketing. Every manu does it.

Daikin Amana and Goodman, same
    Trane American standard, same
    Lennox Ducane, same
    York Coleman evcon, same
    Carrier Bryant Payne heil comfortmaker arcoair Tempstar, same
    Rheem Rudd, same

The lady that answers the phone probably doesn’t even know where her ac unit is located at her house. And you think she is gonna care that rheem and Rudd are the same???

In my experience Goodman is not the same as Daikin. I don't know about the others.

Post Likes

Rheem vs Ruud

In my experience Goodman is not the same as Daikin. I don't know about the others.
    They are. Trust me. Look at a picture of a Goodman furnace and then a daikin furnace. The difference, the door panel….

Yes, diaken has standard pressure switch, sound blanket sweep wing fan blades…. But they are rolling down the same assembly line. Same blower motor, compressor, contactor, filter drier etc etc

Trane top end units get a fancy little cover on their ac units and American standard doesn’t. But they are the same.

What did customer service say?

Post Likes
    They are. Trust me. Look at a picture of a Goodman furnace and then a daikin furnace. The difference, the door panel….

Yes, diaken has standard pressure switch, sound blanket sweep wing fan blades…. But they are rolling down the same assembly line. Same blower motor, compressor, contactor, filter drier etc etc

Trane top end units get a fancy little cover on their ac units and American standard doesn’t. But they are the same.

What did customer service say?

Customer service would not deny or confirm if Rheem and Ruud are the same exact units. I was talking to them about Rheem Classic Plus RA17 AC 2 stage units with eco net and Ruud Achiever Plus UA17 2 stage units with eco net as well as Rheem Prestige R96V 2 stage furnace with eco net and Ruud Ultra U96V 2 stage furnace with eco net.

I told them the specs look exactly the same. Won't confirm or deny.

Post Likes
    there is also a cost difference between Daikin and Goodman. Rheem and Ruud - same exact units with model numbers starting with R or U sell for the same exact cost.

Post Likes

Rheem vs Ruud

there is also a cost difference between Daikin and Goodman. Rheem and Ruud - same exact units with model numbers starting with R or U sell for the same exact cost.
    Cost is 100% contractor not brand. I sell the same brand as one of the big guys in town. He spends 2 mill a year on advertising. His install price for a furnace and ac unit is 15k more than me. Same brand. My overhead is a weeeeeee bit smaller than his so I can pass that weeeee bit of savings on to customers.

19. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Manufacturers warranty is different between Daikin, Amana and Goodman in the same tier line, also Daikin and Amana may use Stainless Steel HX on both primary and secondary sections whereas Goodman typically uses SS and Aluminumized Steel on their HX.

Amana usually puts in more standard features, such as Copeland CoreSence whereas Goodman does not use, or use a ECM outdoor fan motor whereas Goodman is typically a PSC motor as some examples only, even thou they are the same tier line.

Extended labor warranty is different on Daikin to Goodman. Daikin is either 6 or 12 years, whereas Goodman/Amana is either 5 or 10 years.

Daikin offers the horizontal inverter Fit model whereas neither the Amana or Goodman carry that line.

Post Likes
    I can't say if this is the case in your situation or not but the past several years there has been quite a bit of a supply issue pretty much across the board. It may be a case where they ordered the unit they sold you and were told it would not be available for X# of weeks but the Ruud was available. Usually a dealer will explain that situation to the customer and that may not be what the situation is in your case but it could be.

Post Likes
    Cost is 100% contractor not brand. I sell the same brand as one of the big guys in town. He spends 2 mill a year on advertising. His install price for a furnace and ac unit is 15k more than me. Same brand. My overhead is a weeeeeee bit smaller than his so I can pass that weeeee bit of savings on to customers.

Yes I agree. I meant cost to the contractor from supply house. I have an account at Ferguson, diffident trade than HVAC and I can see most of the unit prices they've quoted - furnace is about $1,850 and AC unit is about $3,880 and coil is about $900, so for 2 systems with tax it comes to about $14,000 total, entire house duct work about $10k to $12k incl labor, and add their own margin on units and our GC's overall margin (probably 20%) - I'm paying a lot more - they're also doing bathroom vents, kitchen exhaust as well as make up air.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast