Thread: Fieldpiece SC440 temp probe switch

Post Likes

Fieldpiece SC440 temp probe switch

Hello,

The tab for the temp switch on my SC440 broke off.
    Has anyone ever replaced that part ?
    Is this a common problem?
    This is my first Fieldpiece meter.
    The meter is not under warranty. I would consider a flat rate factory repair if its not too much.
    I waiting for a call back.
    I currently use a safety pin to turn it on.

Thanks
    Scott

Post Likes
    I assume you're talking about the switch that open the thermocouple plug ports and at the same time blocks off the banana jack ports.

If it were me I would open the meter up and take that little piece of shit out of there.

HOWEVER, that can be dangerous if you don't use your brain. Since the meter is reading mV on the thermocouple port I'm pretty sure the GND terminal will be tied into the GND for the leads. This means that if you leave a thermocouple attached and then put on the leads and measure voltage you can make the thermocouple live and shock yourself with it.

I haven't looked at the board to know for sure, but that's my guess as to why the switch is there.

Sent from my hatch using Tapatalk
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

3. Likes STEVEusaPA, R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    They're not hard to get apart and I would imagine FP would send you the part or you could send it in for repair. I have used several 440s over the last seven years or so with no problems. Why several you ask? Well because I always have two and end up giving one to new techs to help them out. IMHO it's the best meter going bar none.

5. Likes Zamoramax, STEVEusaPA, R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by channellxbob View Post
    They're not hard to get apart and I would imagine FP would send you the part or you could send it in for repair. I have used several 440s over the last seven years or so with no problems. Why several you ask? Well because I always have two and end up giving one to new techs to help them out. IMHO it's the best meter going bar none.
    Yeah as much as I like the quality and reliability of fluke I switched to FP. I got tired of the limitations.

It’s insulting the way fluke makes an “HVAC” meter but clearly doesn’t know and/or care about our trade. Who the **** would be dumb enough to think 60K ohm max is all we need in a meter?

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

7. Likes STEVEusaPA, R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Also why in the hell would you have a temperature function on the meter but not also utilize that to add a mV function.

9. Likes STEVEusaPA, R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Hey Guys

Fieldpiece said they do not have that part, would have to send it in for repair $115 plus inbound shipping.
    Tech support says it's not a safety issue to remove it he says it only to keep people from getting confused.
    Not sure I buy that answer. I thought years ago I read something that the standard probes caused some kind of interference when using temp probe.

I think I will remove the slide and never plug in the probes with the temp sensor

I have always been a Fluke guy but I love this meter. I don't know I would of used the Bluetooth on the next model up.
    I have WAY too many meters. They are all part of the quest to equip the perfect diagnostic tool bag. LOL I have too many bags too.
    Might be time to thin out the herd, sell the extra meters and buy some digital gauges
    I don't use my tools everyday, just when I'm meeting one of our techs to help out. But when I'm trouble shooting I like to use my own meter.
    thanks for the info, stay out of the heat.
    Scott

11. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Just checked one of my older fp meters. Didn’t find any continuity between jacks and plugs.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMan7 View Post
    Also why in the hell would you have a temperature function on the meter but not also utilize that to add a mV function.
    440 does do mV

Post Likes

Fieldpiece SC440 temp probe switch

Quote Originally Posted by channellxbob View Post
    440 does do mV
    Well of course there are flukes that do mV lol (good god man do you think I’m retarded or what??? Hahaha). My point is I want to carry around 1 meter not 2 or 3 meters.

15. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I understand what you're saying now. Fluke just doesn't get it when it comes to HVACR, they think they can just put the name "HVAC meter" on it and we'll jump all over it. They make good meters, but I've not used one that was anything a whole lot better than some of the others. I come from a whole family of electricians, and am the only HVAC guy. My brother has nothing but Fluke, won't even consider anything else, that is until I showed him some FP clamp meters and he was dumbfounded at how well they worked. He works where they have calibration benches for multimeters and we have done several tests with nearly every clamp meter known to man along side his Fluke 87's and he was blown away at how accurate, consistent and durable Fp meters are.
    I've heard all kinds of stories about folks having trouble with FP, but then again.

17. Likes R600a, JayMan7 liked this post.