Thread: Fieldpiece VP67 Oil Change Question

Post Likes

Fieldpiece VP67 Oil Change Question

Well, my boss's vacuum pump is officially dead. Will not pull a semi deep vacuum reliably. Can take hours to get down. Oil blowback. So looking at the Fieldpiece. Will invest the money for a new 6cfm unit for myself, but would like to know more about the operation.

For those of you using the Fieldpiece VP series vacuum pump on a typical 3 ton residential unit:

How long to pull a 500 or lower vacuum?

How many oil changes to do that? It seems to me that if I open the gas ballast until the listed 3000 microns it shouldn't need to be changed except for much larger systems. Just my guess. And may not even need a change every system, maybe every other system?

The directions say to drain, then fill. However, the manual says it only comes with prefilled bottles. Does it also come with an unlisted empty?

I would also presume that opening the gas ballast would prevent the oil shower if there is a little pressure still in the system?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    Well, my boss's vacuum pump is officially dead. Will not pull a semi deep vacuum reliably. Can take hours to get down. Oil blowback. So looking at the Fieldpiece. Will invest the money for a new 6cfm unit for myself, but would like to know more about the operation.

For those of you using the Fieldpiece VP series vacuum pump on a typical 3 ton residential unit:

How long to pull a 500 or lower vacuum?

How many oil changes to do that? It seems to me that if I open the gas ballast until the listed 3000 microns it shouldn't need to be changed except for much larger systems. Just my guess. And may not even need a change every system, maybe every other system?

The directions say to drain, then fill. However, the manual says it only comes with prefilled bottles. Does it also come with an unlisted empty?

I would also presume that opening the gas ballast would prevent the oil shower if there is a little pressure still in the system?
    I refill my bottles with Appion oil because after looking into that oil for another unrelated use I really liked it.

When changing oil live I put the ballast back to start up position, drain oil and refill. Then switch ballast back.

I've did some testing and I personally don't think vacuum pump oil changes are as important as they used to be in the past. The appion oil is extremely resistant to moisture absorbtion. I have used it until it looks like sewer water and had 0 effects on vacuum. I'm not saying to do that. I'm just making the point that the chemestry behind vacuum pump oil has gotten A LOT better.

As far as speed, that will have more to do with your hoses. Last week I pulled down a large minisplit system with three heads to 160 micron in 10 minutes (held at like 175 for 10 minutes so it was a true pull down).

Hopefully I covered all your questions

Sent from my hatch using Tapatalk
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

3. Likes STEVEusaPA, R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I’d go tez8. You can get parts for it and it has an automatic ballast. And a garbed hose fitting for the exhaust so you can vent the vapor elsewhere. That’s my take

5. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    My VP67 can pull under 500 on a clean 3 ton lineset and evap coil in about 50-55 seconds. However, it has little to do with the pump. It's your evacuation rig, and hoses that makes the difference. I've been using the VP67 for about a year now, and still prefer it over my JB's.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mgenius33 View Post
    My VP67 can pull under 500 on a clean 3 ton lineset and evap coil in about 50-55 seconds. However, it has little to do with the pump. It's your evacuation rig, and hoses that makes the difference. I've been using the VP67 for about a year now, and still prefer it over my JB's.

He’s 100% correct. Once down to low sub-1000 micron levels of vacuum you’re no longer sucking shit out. You’re waiting for the remaining molecules to randomly bounce around and eventually find their way out of the system. Doesn’t matter what cfm your vacuum pump has once you get to the lower micron values.. But Increasing hose diameter while reducing hose length will make the absolute most difference in total vacuum time. Essentially you’re just increasing the odds that a molecule of X will bounce into your hose and not back into the system.

8. Likes R600a liked this post.