Thread: Multi-flame Brazing Tips

Post Likes

Multi-flame Brazing Tips

Twin/cap'n hook etc. Any thoughts on these and do they make the job easier? It seems like some people really like them and other don't. I guess it a case of being familiar with them and usage.

Anyone here have these and like or dislike them?

Post Likes
    I agree with you, they are a love/hate item. I've tried them several times and they just seem hard to control for me. You hit the nail on the head that you need to familiarize yourself with them and you'll have a better appreciation for whether they are for you or not. I keep trying them and think one day I will be comfortable with using them, but i'm not there yet. Each time is a tense moment when I use them I have to watch everything so carefully. I'm so used to using a torch, that I don't have to think about it, it just happens. I've seen guys braze in condensing units on split systems with a hook and do it so fast you'd think it wasn't hot enough, but it was. I can solder with SB8 really fast, even larger tubing, but some guys with a hook can braze that fast, it's pretty amazing and one of the reasons I keep trying it.
    You just need to try one and use it for quite a while and see if it works for you. It's a different animal and takes some getting used to.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by channellxbob View Post
    I agree with you, they are a love/hate item. I've tried them several times and they just seem hard to control for me. You hit the nail on the head that you need to familiarize yourself with them and you'll have a better appreciation for whether they are for you or not. I keep trying them and think one day I will be comfortable with using them, but i'm not there yet. Each time is a tense moment when I use them I have to watch everything so carefully. I'm so used to using a torch, that I don't have to think about it, it just happens. I've seen guys braze in condensing units on split systems with a hook and do it so fast you'd think it wasn't hot enough, but it was. I can solder with SB8 really fast, even larger tubing, but some guys with a hook can braze that fast, it's pretty amazing and one of the reasons I keep trying it.
    You just need to try one and use it for quite a while and see if it works for you. It's a different animal and takes some getting used to.
    Thanks for the feedback. Yes I think I will try it and see how it works for me. I'm mostly an SB8 guy also - my oxy-acetylene is hardly used. For SB8 I use a MAP Pro Turbotorch with the self lighting (black) tips.

My oxy-acetylene is a Victor set with I believe a J handle so it should fit the Uniweld Cap'n hook. I think the tips that come with the set are really designed for welding so they concentrate the heat into a small spot which is why you have to keep moving the flame and rod around the circumference of the tubing.

With the multi-flame tip based on the demo vides you get even heating all around at the same time and so it looks like you can push the rod into one spot and capillary action will draw it all around.

I've seen some pictures of coils being made and I think they are using multi-flame tips to braze in things like the U-bends for the coils.

In principle it seems like it would be easier and quicker to use than the single flame tips but I guess one has to become familiar with it as you say.

Post Likes
    I use my hook when it's needed otherwise I use the turbo torch.
    If I'm in a open area there's no need for it however on 1-1/8" I'll use the hook because it's so quick and I can get in and out without over heating.
    The hook I use in tight spaces like inside small reach-in coolers where I can direct the flame away from doing damage to the surroundings.

Post Likes
    One problem I have with the hook is I touch the tubing and it goes pop and no flame. You have to be soooo watchful and keep it in the exact place or it's a no go. I often wondered if a slightly larger one would be better. I have had no problem with 3/8" line, but 3/4" is a bit harder for me to get without losing the flame. I guess i just need to try it more and get used to it. You know how it is, you're on a job, you wanna get to the next step and you just go for what's familiar and you know will get the job done. Sometimes you just aren't in the mood to try something different. I just gotta try it more.

Post Likes
    You can tighten up your flame tip.
    Actually I find the smallest flame tip creates the most heat.
    Yes it still takes a steady hand regardless.

Post Likes
    OK so one of my supply houses was having a 20% off tool sale so I thought I would get and try out the Cap n Hook. Yes initially I also felt a bit rushed and put out the flame a couple of times by bumping it on the pipe. I got better with practice and found that you really have to go slow and have a steady hand to avoid putting out the flame. After that the flame stayed on and the pipe heated well and a couple of the joints came out well when I cut the other end open to inspect if the braze had flowed all the way into the fitting but I could have done better on the other joints.

Need more practice. Tomorrow I will cut open the joints and see how well the braze had flowed inside.

8. Likes R600a liked this post.
    R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Nice. I am waiting on my supply house to get one in. They went from a wall of torch tips regulators and gauges to I think there's like one gauge left. They are running out of everything.
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    Nice. I am waiting on my supply house to get one in. They went from a wall of torch tips regulators and gauges to I think there's like one gauge left. They are running out of everything.
    I think Amazon has them in stock.

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by szw21 View Post
    I think Amazon has them in stock.
    I am patient.
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

12. Likes szw21 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I've used both the twin tips and the C-shaped wrapper tips, but not the cap'n hook version.
    I agree with a lot of the points mentioned above . It takes practice and a steady hand, bumping on the pipe will knock the flame out , a larger size tip helps here.
    They certainly have their place, and offer lots of flexibility on the flame adjustment.
    I mostly use them in tight areas or when brazing valves or components. If I'm just brazing pipe, the turbotorch is my go to 80% of the time.
    Take the time to learn how to use them, another skill to add to the arsenal.

14. Likes VTP99 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by szw21 View Post
    Twin/cap'n hook etc. Any thoughts on these and do they make the job easier? It seems like some people really like them and other don't. I guess it a case of being familiar with them and usage.

Anyone here have these and like or dislike them?
    I use the cap'n hook, but there was a learning curve. I decided to spend about 30 minutes after work one night at the shop seeing if I could get the hang of it. Cut a bunch of pipe and wasted about $40 in fittings. It was worth it. I'm pretty good with it now. It's a great tool in tight spots.

Just set aside 30 minutes and tell your boss it's worth the $ for the wasted fittings.

16. Likes VTP99 liked this post.