Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Infrared hand held refrigerant leak detector

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Posts
    9
    Post Likes

    Infrared hand held refrigerant leak detector

    Before getting into the HVAC industry I co-invented the first infrared refrigerant leak detector. Field Piece, Robinair, JB and others have sold it.

    Developing this product is what got me interested in the HVAC field. I continue to create products which I won't mention as to not be censored..............

    I'm a mechanical engineer by trade originally. Retired young and got involved with the crazy world of HVAC with a strong refrigeration background

  2. Dislikes pecmsg disliked this post.
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    State College, PA
    Posts
    4,208
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolzAir View Post
    Before getting into the HVAC industry I co-invented the first infrared refrigerant leak detector. Field Piece, Robinair, JB and others have sold it.

    Developing this product is what got me interested in the HVAC field. I continue to create products which I won't mention as to not be censored..............

    I'm a mechanical engineer by trade originally. Retired young and got involved with the crazy world of HVAC with a strong refrigeration background
    Waiting for a question...
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?


    Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

    Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

    Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

  4. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
  5. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Posts
    9
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Forum is called member inventions... who needs a question? Here you go... Why is grass green?

  6. Dislikes pecmsg disliked this post.
  7. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    State College, PA
    Posts
    4,208
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolzAir View Post
    Forum is called member inventions... who needs a question? Here you go... Why is grass green?
    Then where is the invention?
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?


    Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

    Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

    Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

  8. Likes VTP99 liked this post.
  9. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Posts
    9
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post
    Then where is the invention?
    I cant use links yet here.

    Just google the JB infrared refrigeratant leak detector.

  10. Dislikes pecmsg disliked this post.
  11. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    State College, PA
    Posts
    4,208
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolzAir View Post
    I cant use links yet here.

    Just google the JB infrared refrigeratant leak detector.
    OK. Thanx.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?


    Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

    Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

    Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

  12. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    On a bull named Foo Manchu
    Posts
    18,232
    Post Likes
    Twin rivers?
    Wonder who's making the new Fieldpiece ir

  13. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,203
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post
    Waiting for a question...
    Engineer humble brag detected hahaha
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

    "Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

  14. Likes pecmsg, VTP99 liked this post.
  15. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Posts
    9
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Twin Rivers is the company that drove the project and was the brains behind the idea. Also had all the rights to license or sell the product. Myself and an electrical engineer did the product design. The guy behind Twin Rivers is a really smart, persistent guy who in all honest put his life behind all of it. Deserves the credit for the creation of the product.

    Field Piece ended up in a big law suit with Twin Rivers and I believe took one in the keester. Not sure who they use now for the new IR product their selling. Allot of companies are selling the original though.

    Humble brag @Jayan7? This forum is about things HVAC people invented. I work in the HVAC/R world now. 12 years ago I couldn't even spell HVAC/R. Now I is one....

    Before it was licensed to Field Piece and others... it was originally called the PreditIR.

  16. Dislikes pecmsg disliked this post.
  17. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,203
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolzAir View Post
    Twin Rivers is the company that drove the project and was the brains behind the idea. Also had all the rights to license or sell the product. Myself and an electrical engineer did the product design. The guy behind Twin Rivers is a really smart, persistent guy who in all honest put his life behind all of it. Deserves the credit for the creation of the product.

    Field Piece ended up in a big law suit with Twin Rivers and I believe took one in the keester. Not sure who they use now for the new IR product their selling. Allot of companies are selling the original though.

    Humble brag @Jayan7? This forum is about things HVAC people invented. I work in the HVAC/R world now. 12 years ago I couldn't even spell HVAC/R. Now I is one....

    Before it was licensed to Field Piece and others... it was originally called the PreditIR.
    Good Im glad they lost. Its crazy how easily inventions get stolen. Case in point, Klein just released their version of the malco bitit is better though lol.
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

    "Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

  18. Likes CoolzAir liked this post.
  19. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    19
    Post Likes
    What is the advantage of a infrared refrigerant versus a corona-suppression or a heated diode?

  20. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    State College, PA
    Posts
    4,208
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by car46999 View Post
    What is the advantage of a infrared refrigerant versus a corona-suppression or a heated diode?
    Not sure of any advantage of one over the other. I have IR & heated diode. Sometimes one works better that the other. Not sure why or how. But it gives me the best of both worlds.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?


    Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

    Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

    Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

  21. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    19
    Post Likes
    Good to know that it helps to have multiple testers. What about refrigerant types, do you find one type works better for say 410a or 134a.

  22. #14
    R600a's Avatar
    R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Posts
    22,357
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by car46999 View Post
    Good to know that it helps to have multiple testers. What about refrigerant types, do you find one type works better for say 410a or 134a.
    I know one thing. The fieldpiece heated diode detector goes crazy over 410a but is totally worthless on r22.
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

  23. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    State College, PA
    Posts
    4,208
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by car46999 View Post
    Good to know that it helps to have multiple testers. What about refrigerant types, do you find one type works better for say 410a or 134a.
    I never thought about different refrigerants being an issue with the different technologies of leak detectors.

    All I know is that if I know there is a leak somewhere and can't find it with my IR detector, I switch to the heated diode.

    Never seen a leak I could not find. Although I will say that I do find most leaks with the IR detector (D-Tech Select).

    I think the difference is the size of the leak.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?


    Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

    Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

    Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

  24. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Posts
    9
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    The big difference in an infrared refrigerant leak detector is it uses a light spectrum filter. All refrigerants fall a certain light spectrum. Heat Diode units need to warm up before they work, and need to absorb refrigerant to detect them. Infrared are ready as soon as the unit is turned on (usually allow 30 seconds to pump air through the unit to remove any residual sample in the chamber. Once ready they can usually sense as low as 1 ppm of refrigerant. I believe the industry has adjusted that higher so they don't have to guarantee those results. I guess the great thing with the infrared is the light spectrum filter can be changed to detect other things like CO, etc. I personally have found leaks with the infrared unit that couldn't be found. Allot of your results depend on how you use it. There is a best practice. As long as you don't use the green goop... I don't care what someone uses.

  25. #17
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    35,515
    Post Likes
    I've been using the H-10 for nearly four decades. It's really about technique. Where I am now I've had guys call me for HELP. I cruise up with my H-10 and typically find the leak in short order. I haven't noticed any difference regarding the refrigerant they are on or the detector they are using. There is a procedure and technique.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

    I'm feelin' a little peculiar.

  26. Likes R600a liked this post.
  27. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    State College, PA
    Posts
    4,208
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    I've been using the H-10 for nearly four decades. It's really about technique. Where I am now I've had guys call me for HELP. I cruise up with my H-10 and typically find the leak in short order. I haven't noticed any difference regarding the refrigerant they are on or the detector they are using. There is a procedure and technique.
    I agree. Get to know your detector and how it works best.

    Lots of practice and use helps a lot.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?


    Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

    Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

    Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

  28. Likes R600a liked this post.
  29. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    19
    Post Likes
    Awesome, thanks for the replies. We have the Inficon D-Tek 3 at work (infrared), it seems to work well on 134a and 410a. We have identified and fixed several leaking fittings using it.
    Might have to see if work will buy one of the D-TEK Stratus, we could use the PPM readout to monitor and document leak rates.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •