Thread: First Fieldpiece Probe Death

Post Likes

First Fieldpiece Probe Death

Just had my first loss of a fieldpiece psych probe. It’s been a great kit and I think 4 years for a part that’s used multiple times everyday is pretty good. The only thing that sucks is it’s about 50 bucks more now than when I last checked. Still highly recommend them though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes R600a, dieseldude, STEVEusaPA, Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Contact fieldpiece thru their website, even if its out of warranty you send the damaged one back they usually send you a new one back at a discount

4. Likes R600a, Achso017 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Any autopsy or reason you can think of?
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    These price increases on everything are getting ridiculous. Testo Smart Probes have doubled in price since I bought mine in 2016. They're on their second generation now, but I don't think that accounts for such a massive price increase. I've recently seen used first generation sets selling on eBay for more than I paid for mine 6 years ago.

Post Likes
    That’s why I snatched up a set last year when I saw them at a killer sale price. Haven’t used them yet, but got ‘‘em if I need ‘em.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVEusaPA View Post
    Any autopsy or reason you can think of?
    Not really. It turns on and flashes green like usual it just doesn’t broadcast a signal. Tried measure quick and fieldpiece app multiple times.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmiami View Post
    Contact fieldpiece thru their website, even if its out of warranty you send the damaged one back they usually send you a new one back at a discount
    I might have to try that.

10. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Did you try a firmware update?
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVEusaPA View Post
    Did you try a firmware update?
    Nope. I haven’t tried that. Would it work even when it’s not showing up on the app?

13. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Yeah I think you have to go hunt for it.

https://www.fieldpiece.com/download-...mware-updates/

Post Likes
    I don't remember now, when it was the probes were released, but I've had my set since the first day they released them. No problems so far with any of them. I do have a loose outer sheath on one of my psychrometers, but it's not a big deal, just the crimped "dot" is not holding as it had, but I put some heat shrink tubing over it and it's fine. I've not had any kind of failure of any of the probes and I have extra backups. I use them almost every day. If i were you I'd contact FP and see what they have to say. You never know, they might fix you right up.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Achso017 View Post
    I might have to try that.

If the FW update doesn't resolve the issue, definitely contact FP. They'll give you the procedure to send it in for an OOW repair. I recently sent a LP probe in and they sent back a new one (the original probe was leaking where the SS tubing met the body). It took a few weeks. It cost me around $60. That was several months back, so it likely went up, but it'll still be cheaper than buying from a retailer.