Thread: Oxy Acetylene torch issues...

Post Likes

Oxy Acetylene torch issues...

I seem to be having issues again with my oxy/acetylene torch kit. I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the handle and the arrestor. When I replaced the last torch that lasted many years, I was having the same issue. It's a basic mc tank Victor torch kit with #2 tip. The new torch worked like a dream for a couple years, then the issue started recurring.

Basically what happens is the flame starts off fine and then begins to lift as the copper pipe starts heating up. I'm not sure if it's the wet rags releasing water vapor or if it's torch itself. As the flame lifts, flutters and turns a bit orange, it begins to get louder and then sccchhhwittttt off. It's really not a popping or snapping noise, just a rush of air noise then out. I can easily reignite the torch without even adjusting the control knobs which tells me the regulators aren't doing anything wrong. Once I begin to heat up the copper tubing and wet rag the issue starts again. If I hold the flame on then move away I can continue to braze. The issue seems to be getting increasingly worse. Do I need to rebuild the handle, or clean it or something, or are the wet rags causing the problem? Also, yes I do have nitrogen flowing, but I do use a purge/ brazing adapter.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    I’m typically more comfortable with more of a slightly oxidizing flame. I realize a neutral flame is supposed to be ideal, but that’s just how I got used to brazing and feel the hotter flame reduces time for service valves to potentially overheat.

So, the scchwwitt noise is almost like the flame is becoming more oxidizing before snuffing itself out.

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    I have had steam put out my flame.
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

4. Likes mnbvcxz liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Should not be using oxidizing flame, steam or tip spacing control to brazing surface can cause flame issues as well as pressure settings.

6. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Well, so far so good just needed a tip cleaning.