Thread: Which house is mine ?

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    Post Likes

Which house is mine ?

This is an satellite view of a neighborhood where I own a house. Any guesses as to which house is mine?

Name:  3424 - IMG_1398.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  1.52 MB
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of Thinking

2. Likes dieseldude liked this post.
    Post Likes
    The one with 6 sheds and 20 condensing units in the back yard?

O wait that’s mine….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes dieseldude, R600a, 2sac liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    This is an satellite view of a neighborhood where I own a house. Any guesses as to which house is mine?

Name:  3424 - IMG_1398.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  1.52 MB
    White roof.....
    I'm not young enough, to know everything...

6. Likes Nuclrchiller liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dieseldude View Post
    White roof.....
    My thought as well.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Site member map HERE!

Post Likes
    Yep stands out like a sore thumb
    Attached Images Attached Images  

R600a is online now Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    I can't really see it through the washout due to the reflection. Every time we talk about roofs I tell my wife I'm going to put a polar white roof on our house and she just hates the idea.
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

R600a is online now Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    I told my mother in law she should put a polar white roof on her A frame house but her neighbors might hate her if she does.
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    White roofing products stay coolest in the sun, reflecting about 60 – 90% of sunlight. However, since about half of sunlight arrives as invisible “near infrared” radiation, we can boost the solar reflectance of dark materials by using special pigments (colorants) that preferentially reflect this invisible light. Such “cool colored” products typically reflect about 30 – 60% of sunlight, staying cooler than conventionally colored products (though not as cool as white).

https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/cool-roofs
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

12. Likes ksefan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Madera View Post
    White roofing products stay coolest in the sun, reflecting about 60 – 90% of sunlight. However, since about half of sunlight arrives as invisible “near infrared” radiation, we can boost the solar reflectance of dark materials by using special pigments (colorants) that preferentially reflect this invisible light. Such “cool colored” products typically reflect about 30 – 60% of sunlight, staying cooler than conventionally colored products (though not as cool as white).

The other side of this problem is in many climates heating is the bigger energy user. By that assumption a dark roof would save more.
    We might lower the inside temp 20 deg in cooling but might raise the temp 70 deg in heating.
    The concern might be about $$$ for electricity if the heat energy is less. I guess it's time to find the calculator.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    Post Likes
    The same solar reflectance properties can also be added to white coatings. Sheffield Metals has a white with a >90% reflectivity and about a 80-90% emissivity rating. It's one of their Cool/R products. I have it on my house in NJ.

So 90% of all the visible light is immediately reflected away and of the remaining <10% which becomes heat - about 85% of that is immediately re-emited as heat to the environment. And the white is on a metal base material - so doesn't that have an radiant heat opposition quality as well? But either way; only a few percent of the total heat available from sunlight actually makes it into the structure. The effect is truly startling.

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Madera View Post

PHM
    --------

15. Likes R600a, ksefan, captube liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Yeah; it's the bright white one. Electric bills there went from $500+ to $260. a month - July to July. The tenants denied it but I forced Duke into revealing the difference the white metal roofing had made.

Quote Originally Posted by dieseldude View Post
    White roof.....
    PHM
    --------

17. Likes dieseldude, R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I have heard that point made but I counter with the observation that heating the conditioned space would require an attic temperature higher (maybe 15-20º?) than the conditioned space is. And for a long enough period of time to heat the attic insulation, the attic floors and the ceiling below it to the increased temperature before heat could be radiated into the conditioned space.

I have been in a lot of attics on bright sunny winter days servicing furnaces and none of the attics have ever been 80-90+ degrees. <g>

Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    The other side of this problem is in many climates heating is the bigger energy user. By that assumption a dark roof would save more.
    We might lower the inside temp 20 deg in cooling but might raise the temp 70 deg in heating.
    The concern might be about $$$ for electricity if the heat energy is less. I guess it's time to find the calculator.
    PHM
    --------

19. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I have heard that point made but I counter with the observation that heating the conditioned space would require an attic temperature higher (maybe 15-20º?) than the conditioned space is. And for a long enough period of time to heat the attic insulation, the attic floors and the ceiling below it to the increased temperature before heat could be radiated into the conditioned space.

I have been in a lot of attics on bright sunny winter days servicing furnaces and none of the attics have ever been 80-90+ degrees. <g>
    I would think the cost of the utility would factor in. It might be that even with some gain advantage electrical costs usually are higher even with some offset.
    I had a white rubber roof put on about 10 years ago. I have no attic, 2x12 joists. Only about 2/3 of the total is flat roof. The rest is cathedral. with concrete tile.
    It had a good effect in summer even with the tile adding to the load. I was working on the costs considering utility costs until I got distracted.

Choose your distractions carefully. Time is all you got.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Do you think we could guess? )
    I think your house is not in this picture.

Post Likes
    That would be too tricky. My house is really in the picture. And it's fairly obvious which house is mine -if you have been following along with my periodic rantings. <g>

Quote Originally Posted by Amandagraham View Post
    Do you think we could guess? )
    I think your house is not in this picture.
    PHM
    --------

23. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes

Interesting take, I had considered getting my roof deck spray foamed but I think it would create too many fluctuations on the load for a retrofit. Probably just looking at air sealing and adding more blown in insulation.