Thread: Traveling with manifolds - checked luggage or carry on?

Post Likes

Traveling with manifolds - checked luggage or carry on?

I am catching a flight to visit a customer in Oregon to check up on some of our equipment. Does anyone know if there are issues having a manifold in carryon luggage or do they need to be checked?

Thanks!

Post Likes
    Only carried specialized equipment. Customer should have access to common tools.

Would have to be sure pressure is bled off. Easier to check larger pieces.

Post Likes
    You might get pulled out for extra check at security if they spot it in your carry on on the scanner and don't recognize what it is. Other than that I don't know of any specific reason why you cannot carry it in your carry-on.

4. Likes STEVEusaPA liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I don’t think you will have an issue with it.

Be prepared for two things when you do that though:

1. TSA will most likely flag your bag for additional screening where you will now have to open it up and show them what you are traveling with - not a big deal.

2. Be prepared to have your bag “gate checked” at the last minute because of the lack of “Overhead” space.
    Now if those gauges are not well protected inside this bag, they might be damaged by the time you get it back on the baggage claim carousel.

I have traveled a few times with my combustion analyzer and other tools, and always checked them in my “Pelican” case to ensure they arrive just as I checked them.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

6. Likes R600a, STEVEusaPA liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I would box up my tools and send it to one of my wholesalers in the area ,and have them sign for them. Then drop the, off to be shipped home to your office or local wholesalers. Most will be glad to use your account or bill you for freight with proper po#. Just my make your life easier and less headaches
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

8. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rundawg View Post
    I don’t think you will have an issue with it.

Be prepared for two things when you do that though:

1. TSA will most likely flag your bag for additional screening where you will now have to open it up and show them what you are traveling with - not a big deal.

2. Be prepared to have your bag “gate checked” at the last minute because of the lack of “Overhead” space.
    Now if those gauges are not well protected inside this bag, they might be damaged by the time you get it back on the baggage claim carousel.

I have traveled a few times with my combustion analyzer and other tools, and always checked them in my “Pelican” case to ensure they arrive just as I checked them.
    Don't fall for the 'lack of overhead space' nonsense. If it's a properly sized carry on bag, take it on the plane.
    They use this tactic to load the plan faster. Many times they tried that when I flew, then I got on the plane and more than half the plane's overhead was empty.
    The one exception is on smaller planes, where you walk down the jet way, they take it and tag it, then they hand it back to you in the jet way when you land-it doesn't go to baggage claim.

Or make sure it's in a bag small enough to fit under your seat.
    Or even better, forget the manifold and use probes, much smaller
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVEusaPA View Post
    Don't fall for the 'lack of overhead space' nonsense. If it's a properly sized carry on bag, take it on the plane.
    They use this tactic to load the plan faster.
    Trust me, I know the game well. I have traveled more than I care to admit.

I let them tag it with the "gate checked tag", then as I walk down the jetway, I roll the tag up in the palm of my hand and walk on board and place it in an empty overhead bin - Tag inward toward the back of the bin so you can't see it.

Should there be no "overhead space", I play dumb and say - "Oh sorry. I was suppose to leave this at the airplane door................"

I can play games too.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

11. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Customer would be footing the bill for "as needed tools".
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    I traveled via aircraft quiet frequently a few years back. I just loaded up a milwaukee packout with my tools and checked it with a lock on it. They had a separate security desk where you would open it and they would briefly look at it.

Only tool I had in my carry on was batteries because there are restrictions on lithium ion batteries.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Or overnight it ups/FedEx insured properly.

I have worked with subcontractors who wanted to bring their own tools and they were just UPS it customers account or their own because they don't want to deal with the hassle of the airline.
    Unless your tools are small you could take a carry on.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Ship Them.

All TSA has to say is It COULD be a weapon and there not getting on the plane!

Post Likes
    No tools going into Canada.