Thread: Midea new vari-speed motor/compressor all variable speed U-shape window unit question

Post Likes

Midea new vari-speed motor/compressor all variable speed U-shape window unit question

Considering all the motors in this new window u-shaped unit are vari-speed and microprocessor controlled I would like to ask the following opinions.

Regarding 2 green arrows overlaid on photo:

Top arrow showing long capillary tube - curious why this one seems so much longer than normal.

Bottom arrow showing temp sensor on condenser output - any idea if the micro processor is shooting to focus on refrigerant temp after condenser cooled it or if it is being used to learn the input of refrigerant temperature going into the capillary tube valve? (I'm studying feasibility of extending the front of this unit a few feet from the rear as a hobby project - again - I'm retired so please be kind.)

Post Likes
    Is that a 12,000 BTU unit ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dhg View Post
    Is that a 12,000 BTU unit ?
    Yes sir.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=donphillipe;26238650] ...........

Regarding 2 green arrows overlaid on photo:

Top arrow showing long capillary tube - curious why this one seems so much longer than normal.

Bottom arrow showing temp sensor on condenser output - any idea if the micro processor is shooting to focus on refrigerant temp after condenser cooled it or if it is being used to learn the input of refrigerant temperature going into the capillary tube valve? (I'm studying feasibility of extending the front of this unit a few feet from the rear ..........

My 2
    Not sure on the cap tube, but the liquid temperature sensor is at the outlet of condenser/inlet of metering device (cap tube) as is & MUST stay there so you must extend the liquid line upstream of the sensor.
    Eric

Post Likes
    Thanks, Eric. I appreciate it. Do you know any resources of R32? It is not available at any distributor in the DFW area. I found it at a reclamation center but would have to purchase 2 palates minimum.

Post Likes
    Doing a bit of googling (just now) it looks like a Daikin thing so I would ask them re availability (tho it’s slated for phase out in 2025) http://www.daikin.com/corporate/why_.../benefits/r-32
    Eric

Post Likes

R410a ?

Quote Originally Posted by donphillipe View Post
    Thanks, Eric. I appreciate it. Do you know any resources of R32? It is not available at any distributor in the DFW area. I found it at a reclamation center but would have to purchase 2 palates minimum.
    I have to wonder if you cannot use R410a in place of R32 if you cannot get R32. I'm sure it's not the best option and efficiency would drop but I wonder. I bet it would work. Not a pro. I just got a Toshiba for a shed and it's also R32. You cannot tell which gas is in without looking at the compressor does not say on box.

8. Likes R600a liked this post.