Thread: Does my HVAC needs to be replaced urgently? Works fine, but noted this exterior sign

Post Likes

Does my HVAC needs to be replaced urgently? Works fine, but noted this exterior sign

I bought and moved into this townhome; had to waive home inspection in a very competitive market. According to the sticker, this was installed in 2007 when townhome was built. However both heating and cooling works fine. Based on the damage seen on the pictures, does this need to be replaced urgently? How long do you think it'll last?Name:  HVAC front.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  447.4 KBName:  HVAC right side.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  514.3 KBName:  HVAC left side.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  365.2 KBName:  HVAC back.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  291.4 KBName:  HVAC unit cleaned.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  85.0 KBName:  furnace.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  75.9 KB

Post Likes
    So what did the home inspector say?

Yes it is damaged and “Should” be replaced.

Home inspectors know less about HVAC then the homeowner.
    Hire a contractor.

3. Likes R600a, cosmicruminatio liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I’ve seen dog urine ruin quite a few in my time. If the condenser coil isn’t leaking, it soon will be.

You’d be better off replacing it now than waiting til it goes and getting caught unexpectedly. Equipment is getting more and more scarce and lead times are becoming longer.

5. Likes R600a, STEVEusaPA, cosmicruminatio liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Was buying in Maryland and the typical advice here is to waive the home inspection due to competitive bids/market - we didn't get it. I think the bigger mistake was not to tour the home in-person, we were in a different state and tried to do the home buying process virtually.

Post Likes
    Do you think the indoor unit needs to be replaced too? I posted the white sticker image from the unit.

Post Likes
    New equipment requires that both indoor and outdoor units be an AHRI match. Your old AHU is not a match to new equipment.
    If you have a furnace with and evaporator coil, you can keep the old furnace if it’s in good shape and do the coil and outdoor unit. However, if the furnace is the same age as the outdoor unit, it may be prudent to replace it at the same time as that would be less costly than doing it separately.
    Again, we’re in 2022, not 2019 and I can’t emphasize enough how things have changed and equipment availability and costs will get worse for sometime going forward.

Post Likes
    I have a few clients running condensers far worse than that from dog pee. Thankfully the tubing was copper like yours.

Post Likes
    Sis's unit is far worse than that. Been like that probably 15 years. She didn't have a dog at that time. Must have been a little one, it's a Rheem with a louvered cabinet and he shot his wizz up into it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in