Thread: Does plasticc-capped copper tubing have a shelf life?

Post Likes

Does plasticc-capped copper tubing have a shelf life?

Doing a project after being out of business a good while. I have a lot of copper tubing stored and wondering if I should flush it with something before using it on a project that recently came up. It's new and in the box with plastic end caps. It's been in storage 10 years.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by donphillipe View Post
    Doing a project after being out of business a good while. I have a lot of copper tubing stored and wondering if I should flush it with something before using it on a project that recently came up. It's new and in the box with plastic end caps. It's been in storage 10 years.
    I’ve never seen plastic covered copper for refrigeration!

Post Likes
    So the dust covers to copper tubing. They look sort of like a tiny version of a rubber piece that fits over a crutch or ladder leg only tiny and they keep dust out of the line.

Post Likes
    So the dust covers to copper tubing. They look sort of like a tiny version of a rubber piece that fits over a crutch or ladder leg only tiny and they keep dust out of the line.
    With questions like these, don’t use them. Buy new.

Post Likes
    How do you store your copper tubing? Seal and vacuum?

R600a is online now Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    It'll be fine as long as it's actually acr copper. Obviously purge with nitrogen before and preferably while brazing and pull a good vacuum when you're done.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

7. Likes STEVEusaPA liked this post.
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    I store it thrown behind the passenger seat of my van it's a really good deterrent to anybody else who thinks they might want to ride with me in my van. The rattling will drive any sane person crazy I'm not sane so it doesn't bother me. As for capping I either put the factory caps back on or if I don't have enough factory caps I put some tape on them on it. I keep the little yellow factory caps and keep the spare ones in a coffee can so that I've usually got enough when I need them.

I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the kind response. Interestingly, it's not a topic often discussed .... only capping https://www.achrnews.com/articles/14...igerant-tubing

Post Likes
    I used a few rolls last year that had been in storage for about 10 years and my boss is broke down spare van. The outside of the copper was a little bit more oxidized and had a pretty red color to it it wasn't quite as pale as a brand new roll but that was the only difference.

Post Likes
    I don’t store it for 10 years!

POE oil will scrub the inside clean, can you afford all that crap coming back?

Post Likes
    One thing to keep in mind though those yellow caps are 100% worthless for keeping water out so if a roll has ever been rained on with just those yellow caps on it there is going to be liquid water in it. I've seen it happen way too many times once was way too many but I've seen it at least two or three times now.

Post Likes
    I Needed some 3/4" hard pressed to finish some piping. Well I told the guy picking it up for me I only need 6-8' but get a full 20' stick just in case. So I call ahead so they'll have it ready for him. I tell them, cut it in half so he doesn't have to fight with it or mess around, Just make sure to tape the end's of the pipe. Sure enough, guy comes back, they cut it and taped the ends with caps and left each cut end open. I say to my co-worker, they were probably saying to themselves, What difference does tape make its already got a plastic cap!

14. Likes R600a liked this post.