Thread: HVAC compressor, dual stage, oscillating noise

Post Likes

HVAC compressor, dual stage, oscillating noise

Hello and thank you in advance for any advice or tips or knowledge. I don’t know enough about this and I wish I knew more because it’s pretty darn important in the high desert in the summer lol.

Anyway, I have a new system which was installed by local company and it is a dual stage that is replacing a single stage. Unfortunately, during install the guys didn’t know how or didn’t want to correctly send the wires needed up the wall to wire the dual stage system from the outside at the compressor, to the inside unit upstairs. That’s what they told me. Now I have a compressor unit that makes this alarm like oscillation noise constantly and it drives me nuts sitting in my living room (wah, wah, wah, wah… endlessly).

I’ve been reading and don’t know if this has anything to do with my issue but I think it might. During the instal the guys were honest and told me they had to Mickey Mouse it but they think it will work, not what you want to hear I know. I told them my ecobee wasn’t reading dual stage and they came back out and said they had to Mickey Mouse it but they think it will work. It is true that my system now reads dual stage on the ecobee, but I only ever see or hear it run on high inside. It never runs quietly or starts slow as it was sold to me. It just jumps on, literally the thing jolts to life and goes right to high always. I think it may be not correct. I thought the system was supposed to lightly flutter and work more often but work less. That’s definitely not happening.

My biggest problem is that there is an alarm like noise an rapid and constant oscillation noise coming 24/7 whenever the compressor is running. It’s bad to the point where I am just avoiding that room closest to the unit since it bleeds through the wall.

I am pretty disappointed overall by this install. It cost me about $***, and it has never met my expectations. I do understand that these guys are constantly working and they work hard, but frankly… my 16 year old unit is far quieter and doesn’t make this alarm like oscillating sound. The house is cool at least and that is something.

Why I am posting is, is it normal for the compressor to constantly be going “wah, wah, wah, wah, wah, wah…”

My older unit just runs at a single speed and does not do this. It does run loud but it doesn’t bleed into the house because the sound doesn’t oscillate rapidly. It’s just steady. That’s what I want the new unit to do, just be steady.

How do I get the company to understand my issue and fix it?

And, was it a mistake to accept their solution to wiring?

They did not explain to me what they did except to say they needed another wire, which did not exist… so they “Mickey moused it.”

I’ve been very polite with them, but we are 1 1/2 years post install and I am still having issues. (They sold me a dual stage in the winter and I found in the summer it was actually a single stage, then they sold me a 14 seer and gave me a 16 seer which I only knew because the sticker said 16 seer).

Incidentally, they told me that the unit was operating at 14 seer due to their wiring and that I had nothing to worry about. I hope that was not a lie.

It’s been a bad experience, and if I can’t stop this noise I will have to redo it. That’s how bad it is.

I do have video and it’s clear on the vid but I don’t think I can post it here.

Sorry for the log message and thank you very much.
    Dan

Pricing is not allowed by forum rules. Please refrain from adding them to your posts - Thanks.
    Last edited by rundawg; 06-24-2022 at 05:53 AM. Reason: removed pricing

Post Likes
    Let's start with model numbers of what's installed. If they sold you 14 SEER it would not be a 2-stage unit. Seems like there is some confusion.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortdoc View Post
    Let's start with model numbers of what's installed. If they sold you 14 SEER it would not be a 2-stage unit. Seems like there is some confusion.

Hey Doc,
    I apologize for being out for so long. Got the Rona and it actually kicked my butt. Was out for a good month and then time to recover. Just back into things the past few weeks.

I had the HVAC company come back over to check it out and they 100% assured me that this is a two stage system. They told me I wont hear or notice anything versus a single stage system, but that because of the wiring they did and the CC at the end of the label, that this unit is functioning as a two stage system.

Id like to attach photos of the label on the outdoor unit but I dont think I can, so here are the model numbers from the labels and all relevant fields.

Goodman Manufacturing:
    Model Number: ASXC160361CC

AC 208-230, Phase 1, hertz 60
    Fan motor FLA 1.0. H.P. 1/5
    Compressor RLA 14.8 LRA 84.2
    Part Number SR3R0000556
    SR107

The Seer label reads 14 Seer and they have repeatedly told me that the label is wrong and this unit is functioning as a 16 seer unit due to what they did. They said they used a writing kit to make the outdoor unit communicate with the thermostat as a 2 stage system and they keep pointing out the CC at the end of the model number indicating that this unit is different than the others and that the CC implies this unit can communicate with the thermostat as a 2 stage unit.

Frankly, it sounds like it may be BS to me. But, they are very polite and I may be wrong. I do not know anything about this stuff and I do not want to confront them on this and be wrong.

Im sorry it took so long to get back to you. I was really out of it for over a month, lungs were in bad shape. Thankfully, Im 100% now and back to it.

Post Likes
    Two stage outdoor unit, nominal 16 SEER. What is installed indoors? That will determine wha the system efficiency is. Also which controller is being used?
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortdoc View Post
    Two stage outdoor unit, nominal 16 SEER. What is installed indoors? That will determine wha the system efficiency is. Also which controller is being used?
    I dont honestly know, but I believe its a goodman. Ill look into it. Gonna have to head up there and see what it is.

Post Likes
    Having them over tomorrow, condenser wont run (again). Checked the breakers, checked the filters, waited an hour and tried again No AC, condenser wont run.

Even when it is running it cant keep the target temp. If I set it to 74 its 78/79 by mid afternoon. Granted it is upstairs and the upstairs is hotter by a fair margin, but were only talking about 1500 sqft it needs to cool and it is a 2.5 ton unit, or so I understand it. I dont think this is set up right, somehow.

Ill get up there with them tomorrow and take some pictures of the labels and get the information. This unit is larger and supposedly better than the one it replaced, but it aint doing the job of the last one by half. 17 year old unit we replaced was keeping the upstairs ice cold. This new unit struggled all summer to keep it under 79.

I appreciate your patience and help your Doc. Maybe we can figure something out. Will write back once I get the label from upstairs. I dont know if these guys are incompetent or just unlucky. But they are polite and I think they are trying. Good to know at least they finally got a 2 stage unit in (this is the 2nd unit they installed, first one was wrong).

I know its possible to do a good job cooling up their though cause the last unit did it so I dont think I am expecting too much.

Post Likes
    This is a complicated situation. Unfortunately, far too many technicians do not have a good understanding of the systems they work on. You may be in need of getting a different/better technician who can assess the whole system. They should be able to determine if there is a mismatch in the equipment or the controller, or determine if the installation was poorly done and needs to be improved.
    The links in my sig give different sources to find skilled technicians.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Site member map HERE!

Post Likes
    Does the noise happen in 1st or 2nd stage? or both stages?

Goodman wants the final field refrigerant charge in 1st stage not 2nd. Hopefully they did it that way. Maybe call them back to recheck CFM and final field refrigerant charge for starters to manufacturers subcooling/superheat? Chances are if you have a piston metering device ( that came with the Air Handler or coil if it’s a AR*F or CA*F ) AHRI web-site probably says to install a field install TXV to get the rated 16+ SEER.

As mentioned getting all the brands model number you can tell if they installed a AHRI matched system and you can tell the efficiency ratings not just in SEER but EER and cooling BTU also. Those numbers are on paper and not real world numbers but at least you know if your paying for a 16 SEER system your getting one, not to mention if your state/local utility company has rebates, at 16 SEER chances your system would qualify for money in your pocket rebates. Did they mention rebates to you?

Goodman web-site says the GSXC16 can reach up to 17 SEER, depending on indoor selection.

https://www.ahridirectory.org/Search...0&ProgramId=68

You can ask them for the AHRI number ( if they can’t give you one, chances it’s not a AHRI matched system ) does not mean your system won’t necessarily work. It just means it may not be working at optimal rated efficiency.

Add a partial model number of each component as typically it will not work if you add the complete model numbers of each piece. No need to add brand name, just a partial accurate model number. Does not matter if it’s upper or lower case.

Make sure to register your system as Goodman gives a nice manufacturer warranty on the GSXC16, failure to register system manufacturers warranty drops. California or Quebec need not be registered to receive manufacturers maximum warranty.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joe; 08-09-2022 at 09:22 AM.