Thread: Multimeter Choices

Post Likes

Multimeter Choices

I was looking at the Fluke 115 but see the 87 can be used to test the new inverter motors (ASD), supposedly. Primarily looking at the mini splits for this, though it seems a few traditional split units have the inverters too. Is it worth spending the extra for the model 87?

Also looking at testing capacitors. Supposedly the 87 can test to 10,000 uf but the manual only shows to 2600. So you model 87 users out there, what is the actual range?

Post Likes
    The fluke 87 will only test capacitors to 5 uf per the manual and real life. We have a bunch of them and cant use them for much. Personally I use the 289, much better all around ability.

Post Likes
    The Fluke 87 is limited to 5uF capacitance measurements, but the newest 87V model is specified to 9999uF. The 87V also measures duty cycle, which I believe is what you are referencing with inverter motors. I don't have any personal experience with this particular meter - i.e., I ain't used one.....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    I was looking at the Fluke 115 but see the 87 can be used to test the new inverter motors (ASD), supposedly. Primarily looking at the mini splits for this, though it seems a few traditional split units have the inverters too. Is it worth spending the extra for the model 87?

Also looking at testing capacitors. Supposedly the 87 can test to 10,000 uf but the manual only shows to 2600. So you model 87 users out there, what is the actual range?
    You must be looking at a old manual. The 87V is the latest version. Tests capacitance just fine. Actually the latest version is the 87MAX

Hurst11 is offline Professional Member/Membership Committee
    Post Likes
    The 87 is an excellent meter and with an auxiliary amp clamp it will do most anything you ask of it. You didn’t mention if you were using an amp clamp of any kind and so my thoughts for you would be if you are only going to be using one meter, you might look at the fieldpiece sc680 it has several features for that for minisplits and it is marketed toward those as well.

6. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Is there other options as well, other than fieldpiece sc680?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by josedennis View Post
    Is there other options as well, other than fieldpiece sc680?
    Fieldpiece SC480? Amprobe AMP-320 or AMP-330? UEi DL599?