Thread: McQuay Screw Compressor

Post Likes

McQuay Screw Compressor

Have multiple leaks on a McQuay Air Cooled Screw:
    M: AGS175CS12-ER10

I have located the service manual, as well as the parts breakdown. Looking for a manual specific to the compressor on the unit, to determine oil quantity.

Compressor HSA197

Thanks in advance.

Post Likes
    Not listed in the manuals. I may be able to find elsewhere, thinking ~4gals, 3200 frame compressor.

Post Likes
    16 quarts listed charge = 4 gals.....

COMPRESSOR SPECIFIC DATA
    — Compressor Sizes
    – 167mm (3216)
    – 179mm (3218)
    – 197mm (3220)
    – 203mm (3221) used on the AGS-D3 chiller
    — Motor Voltages
    – 230 60hz
    – 208 60hz
    – 380 50hz Not on US 203mm (3221)
    – 400 50hz Not on US 203mm (3221)
    – 460 60hz
    – 575 60hz
    — Compressor Weights
    – 1600 - 1852 lbs
    — Oil Charge ≈ 16 quarts

Post Likes
    Really appreciate this information. I’m wondering where you sourced this from? 4 gallons seems reasonable based on the physical size, I’m just curious for a concrete fact.

Post Likes
    I taught the product classes from my power point

Post Likes
    Where do you add the oil? There is no oil stem valve on hsa197.

Post Likes
    Easiest on suction side while operating. Check dsch sh & evap approach to verify not excessive oil in system.

Post Likes
    Oil was drained during filter change. Do I use Schrader valve next to slide valve transducer where differential oil pressure switch is terminated?

Post Likes
    I’m working on a Mcquay screw compressor HSA179QY11YB it’s a an air cooled unit AGS140DSHNN-ER10

Found circuit 1 tripped on low pressure start fail.
    I did find a leak on the suction side on a relief valve. Oil level appears low. Unit will not run trips on same fail. 26lbs refrigerant 134a added. Unit runs but with high discharge temps and low condensing pressures low sub cooling and low superheat. Discharge superheat recorded at 95degrees. I shut unit off until I can figure out where to go next.

What does this sound like to you guys can the low oil levels be causing this type of issue? Does it sound overcharged or undercharged? It has an exv with sight glass and “swirling” was observed unlike a solid liquid column.
    Appreciate the help!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Docmech77 View Post
    Oil was drained during filter change. Do I use Schrader valve next to slide valve transducer where differential oil pressure switch is terminated?
    I would drill & install an angle valve in the drain plug or the oil filter cover plate. Schrader valve way to slow.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris4u13 View Post
    I’m working on a Mcquay screw compressor HSA179QY11YB it’s a an air cooled unit AGS140DSHNN-ER10

Found circuit 1 tripped on low pressure start fail.
    I did find a leak on the suction side on a relief valve. Oil level appears low. Unit will not run trips on same fail. 26lbs refrigerant 134a added. Unit runs but with high discharge temps and low condensing pressures low sub cooling and low superheat. Discharge superheat recorded at 95degrees. I shut unit off until I can figure out where to go next.

What does this sound like to you guys can the low oil levels be causing this type of issue? Does it sound overcharged or undercharged? It has an exv with sight glass and “swirling” was observed unlike a solid liquid column.
    Appreciate the help!
    Possible gate failure.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ehsx View Post
    Possible gate failure.
    thanks for the response, could you please explain your reasoning on this.

Post Likes
    Low ssh, high dsh sh, low discharge pres, low sc.

Capacity calculation or visual inspection would confirm.

Might listen with an auto stethoscope and verify amps. Not always best, but could also give some indication.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ehsx View Post
    Low ssh, high dsh sh, low discharge pres, low sc.

Capacity calculation or visual inspection would confirm.

Might listen with an auto stethoscope and verify amps. Not always best, but could also give some indication.
    Compared to the other circuit this one was just way off. Ran hot and noisy. Can any other issue cause something like this? Looking at the oil sight glasses the one on top I can see the red ball and oil, the one in the bottom no oil or ball can be seen.
    And by visual inspection you mean opening up the compressor? What would I be looking for?
    Thinking about taking the Mcquay training this month for their chillers, I’m trying to see if my company can reimburse me something for the effort cause it will cost a pretty penny!

Post Likes
    If you pull the oil filter should be evidence of gate failure, carbon dust or chips.

To inspect the gates, pull the side covers, inspect for damage, vertical play & backlash.

Compare running dt at manual full load running one circuit then the other.

Gates can be field replaced as long as the screw is not damaged.

Post Likes
    There should be 1/2 drain valve at the bottom of oil separator,near the oil heater, vac it in ester 68 grade oil

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by COMPRESSOR TONY View Post
    There should be 1/2 drain valve at the bottom of oil separator,near the oil heater, vac it in ester 68 grade oil
    No valves from factory....

Post Likes
    Hi on the end of the oil separator, there's a round plate with 4 bolts take that off and pour the oil in it will be quicker