+ Reply to Thread

Thread: York YK-Something Weird

Post Likes

York YK-Something Weird

Today I was call out to customer site to check for a chiller problem. York M/N YKF5FSQ7-ENG. All seemed ok with chiller but I peak at the evap site glass and see this.Attachment 834698. First thing that came to my mind was cracked tube. But after further observation I found oil in sump clear and clean looking. Refrigerant in condenser glass clear and clean and chiller running pretty good. Then I see this..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	46D5FD30-9B80-4158-BC82-66AA47064703.jpeg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	834699. If you can’t see it very well this is the filter for the evap oil return. Someone has relocated it for ease of changing (I guess). Could the added piping cause a problem with oil return? I did notice that oil level in sump is operating at the lowest level but still in the green.
    Also customer had recent oil and refrigerant testing results. No high moisture results in either.

Any Thoughts?

Post Likes
    Sorry I did something wrong on attaching the pics. Here is the glass on evap (I Hope)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	60B60A3B-B989-48F8-BE6C-B4B8264B64C7.jpeg 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	834700

Post Likes
    Don't see a line to or an inductor? appears to be connected between liquid connection and evap? May be just a cleanup filter drier? Need sketch or more pics.

Sight glass, wrong or excessive oil in evap? Prior failure debris?

Post Likes
    The filter piping that was extended runs from evap to oil sump. There is another machine of the same vintage next to this one. The piping for it is short runs and factory piping. I was just wondering if I’m loosing velocity over long run causing poor oil reclaim from evap. I’m not sure about prior failures. Customer does their own PM’s I’m told. Don’t know if oil has been changed or added but I will ask next time on site but I’m sure I already know the answer.

Post Likes
    Feel the line from the inductor to the sump, line temp should give an indication if returning.

The older machines used to have a sight glass in the inductor lines so you could see flow.
    Last edited by ehsx; 05-17-2022 at 05:51 PM.

6. Likes MAH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    9. SYMPTOM: OIL PRESSURE SYSTEM CEASES TO RETURN AN OIL/REFRIGERANT SAMPLE
    Oil refrigerant return not functioning.
    Filter-drier in oil return Replace old filter-drier with new.
    system dirty.

Jet or orifice of oil return Remove jet, inspect for dirt. Remove
    jet clogged. dirt using solvent and replace

8. Likes MAH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    What was the problem the customer had you out to look at?

Post Likes
    gotta love the oil level in the evaporator!
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

11. Likes manny238 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Make sure the solenoid valve for the educator is energized. An easy tell when the chiller is on line for a bit , half hour or more, the oil sump next to the oil return from gear case should be cold. Maybe sweating if the mechanical room is humid. The actual educator is buried in the back of the oil sump.
    Check the angle valves someone may have left them closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Likes MAH, causa liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thanks all for the replies. The original call was for another chiller. I was just being nosey and checking out their other equipment when I noticed this. I’m due to go back by there sometime next week to check on a rental that was installed. Ill check the eductor then. Thanks again

Post Likes
    Yeah, that is more than likely all oil that’s in the evap sight glass. I can expand the picture enough to detect its color. It appears to be all oil. It be interesting to learn why this was done. Keep us posted.

Post Likes
    Nice thought, those filters are in aboutbthw stupidest place possible.

I would also focus on the solenoid. If that's working, could be the line length.

There's not much pressure difference between the evap. And sump, to get things moving.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in