Thread: New Fieldpiece XP67 vs used Appion TEZ8?

Post Likes

New Fieldpiece XP67 vs used Appion TEZ8?

Need to get a decent vacuum pump. New Fieldpiece is about $40 more than the used Appion. Also in the running is a used G5 Twin. Thoughts? Pros? Cons?

Post Likes
    The G5 Twin is not a vacuum pump. It is a recovery machine.

I have both the earlier model Fieldpiece vacuum pump and Appion TEZ8. I prefer the Fieldpiece though the Appion is also excellent.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Site member map HERE!

Post Likes
    Agreed! I have the tez8 and it’s a great pump but everyone I know that has the fp absolutely loves it. I’ve used the fp once and I definitely prefer it. Also paying only $40 for new vs used is worth it as well.
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

4. Likes dieseldude, STEVEusaPA liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Ok, the problem wasn't the pump but the hoses that I just changed seals on. Dumping the hoses and getting a new set, along with a dedicated vacuum evacuation hose. Depending on what goes on with the boss's business, if i'm in the market for a new vacuum pump.

Post Likes
    I like my TEZ8... it definitely sucks... grin!
    I use Appion oil in it... seems to work very well.

I bought a case of 6 of the oil cartridges...
    When I get down to only one left that has fresh oil, I clean out all the old ones with old oil, and refill them from a gallon bottle.

I have had the TEZ8 since 2011... sent it in with the G5 for a rebuild a few years ago. The G5 had quit... the TEZ was fine. Figured I would get both of them done... it was more than worth it!
    Appion will do all the upgrades to bring your pump or recovery up to current model standards... for a fixed price.
    In my case... both units work better than they did when they were new!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

7. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I bought the XP67 about a year ago and love it. My 2 JB's are sitting in the garage, got tired of replacing reed valve kits. IMO, the XP67 is so much nicer to use than my JB pumps. So, much easier to change oil, carry, connect 1/2" hoses to and store without falling over in the van. There's just something about the angle and location of the hose ports that makes it easier than the tee fitting on the JB pump.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

9. Likes ksefan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    You can get parts for a tez8. Not for the fieldpiece. That’s the way I would lean

11. Likes ga-hvac-tech, R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Too late. Had a system that needed replacing right away. Triple digits and an 18 month old in the house, no cooling for 3 days. Fought with the boss's pump to pull a refrigerator down to 500 microns, several failed attempts. Each time I pulled the evacuation hose off the system it DUMPED oil all over the place. Borrowed a known good pump from the local HVAC school and in less than 3 minutes it had a mini split that I've been agonizing with down to 140 microns. Agonized with the old pump for hours to get to 4,000 microns. Boss's son gave me an attitude about the pump and no oil. Well the oil dumped on my scaffolding and the kitchen floor. I'm not putting oil in a junk pump. And I know we needed to get that system running. 15 minutes before the local supply house closed so no way I could get over there to pick one up. Best I could do was order the Fieldpiece in and got it this afternoon.

So how did the boss's son do? He couldn't find a micron gauge, but after a few hours it was down to 30 inHg on the compound gauge (cringe). He charged it and it's running and cooling. Hopefully he ran new lines. I WAS supposed to help, but he didnt call me. I might be looking for a new boss. But I have a nice vacuum pump. Only a few more tools and I can handle most everything myself with my own tools.
    Last edited by RedSafety; 07-24-2022 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Addition

13. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    That’s the beauty of the industry. Tons of hot and ready single bosses ready to drop their panties for you. Know your worth, if the grass is greener over there, it’s their own damn fault for not buying some fertilizer and watering their god damn lawn here..

15. Likes ga-hvac-tech, R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I'm trying to help out the widow with her husband's business. But I won't knowingly do a poor job.

I've only been doing this for a few months, but seem to know much more than the boss's sons. I know when to stop and ask for help. I just finished a 2 week HVAC assistant boot camp. I learned very little, but the little I did learn was very important. I knew everything else. However, the camp have me more confidence in my knowledge and gave me a better understanding of what I already knew. Now the really good part. I got to work with the tools I already had head knowledge of, but now I have hand knowledge of it. The instructors trusted my skills as I contributed some knowledge to the lessons. They let me borrow equipment we didnt cover yet. The lead instructor gave me his business card and a textbook to study. I held back much because this was a basic kickstart class, kinda like a turbo 200 situation. It was enough to get someone started with some basic skills and knowledge and be a help from day one. It was an excellent experience and even though i learned very little new, i now have the confidence to be on my own, and the wisdom to know when to either call for help or step aside for the master.

17. Likes ga-hvac-tech, R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Good on you for helping but the reality of the situation sounds to be slowly going feral. If the boss’ son is the heir of that company and is stonewalling good techniques it may be time to count your losses. It wouldn’t be fruitful for a firefighter to run towards a nuclear blast by going off to save anyone either. It’ll just kill him too. But, those boot camps are typically oriented to make you profitable and good at the basics. But I bet this forum has a lot of wisdom too. I’m new here to hvac talk. But this forum has answered some of my age old confusing questions and it’s just a library of redneck bumble*ucks who’ve already smacked all their fingers with a hammer. But that’s why they’re so damn valuable. They’ve seen things nobody else has. So I’ll be here too asking my questions. My biggest help in learning this shit was no shit YouTube. Find HVAC School on YouTube. He’s a cabbage patch lookin fella with a goatee. But he has a lot of shit to teach too and he’s done it for free on his YouTube. Many of the classes he holds for his local company are uploaded there too. From advanced compressor diagnostics to brazing dissimilar metals. He’s a great teacher. It’s worth a google.

Post Likes
    This is the first time I've had to deal with the son. I absolutely am NOT ready to go it alone. At a minimum I need to find a master licensed HVAC tech who needs occasional help with installs and service calls. Someone to sponsor my apprentice license and answer questions when something doesn't make sense right now. Someone to pull permits. I'd probably hand those jobs over to him and assist the changout. No problem paying them a cut of the service fees.

This system he replaced? I know it got down to the low 6,000 range. Excellent chance of low 4,000s. Fair chance of it having been brought down to about 2,000ish. Minimal chance of it getting below that. Then again, with new indoor and outdoor equipment it might have gotten a bit lower. Maybe. Would have been nice to see it. I did NOT send the pump out with MY hoses. I just cleaned it up from dumping half the oil on scaffolding and the floor and into the trash bin. Took half a bottle of alcohol to clean it up. My gear is not getting damaged because he doesn't do things the right way and with faulty gear.

Post Likes
    My plan is to fine tune my resume/cover letter and post it on skill at, indeed, and at the local UAW. Hopefully someone decent will want to invest in an apprentice.

21. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.