+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: High school level trade schools

Post Likes
    Taught hs hvac and adult night classes one year. One class I brought bread & peanut butter in because they would spend their lunch money on pot and come to class with the munchies. Some had nearly 100 tardies for the year, office would just sign them in and send to class. Other class spent every other day in an alternative elective, Making it hard to cover base materials.

Principal wanted mostly shop activities to keep the students entertained. He did not understand safety liabilities. I had no shop activities for the first six weeks.

I was pleasantly surprised at the willingness of local business and industry to help out. Failed compressors for teardown diagnostics, cu pipe & fittings, tools, etc….every place I contacted was willing to help in some manner.

2. Likes R600a, Scoobie liked this post.
    Post Likes
    As someone who discovered my mechanical calling late in life, I really missed having a good-hearted guidance counselor pointing at my aptitude test scores and saying, "Do this." Instead I wandered through my 20's trying this and that and getting into trouble. If we as a society wanted to get serious, then HS students would be directed into occupations where they stand the best chance of becoming useful. I'd love to get into one of those offices and save a few lives just for the good karma.

4. Likes R600a liked this post.
    R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tmst View Post
    As someone who discovered my mechanical calling late in life, I really missed having a good-hearted guidance counselor pointing at my aptitude test scores and saying, "Do this." Instead I wandered through my 20's trying this and that and getting into trouble. If we as a society wanted to get serious, then HS students would be directed into occupations where they stand the best chance of becoming useful. I'd love to get into one of those offices and save a few lives just for the good karma.
    As someone who didn't have good enough grades in high school to get into any classes like that I think the whole education system essentially needs scrapped and rebuilt from the ground up.
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

6. Likes ksefan, Juan Madera liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    And that was probably the best $1000 the government gave away.
    Best ever! This is some big government that I could get behind.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    As someone who didn't have good enough grades in high school to get into any classes like that I think the whole education system essentially needs scrapped and rebuilt from the ground up.
    I've thought a lot about this. I think an essential element of anything workable involves students taking responsibility for one another's academic progress. They need to be paired up and held accountable to each other as a group. This fosters socialization, responsibility and so much other goodness.

Post Likes
    I’ve had hires from fortis and local high school/adult Ed class.

The ones that are 100% private corp, I’d rather take a kid from a jiffy lube. None of them had seen a real ac before, it was all computer generated. Fortis is this setup. All about money.

A local one public funded here is oaks
    They run high school kids during the day, adult classes at night.
    Most of their money comes from school tuition from the state as a vocational school.
    The night classes are for additional funding to help keep the place nice.
    Generally, they actually care.

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tmst View Post
    I've thought a lot about this. I think an essential element of anything workable involves students taking responsibility for one another's academic progress. They need to be paired up and held accountable to each other as a group. This fosters socialization, responsibility and so much other goodness.
    And not eating every kid into the same educational mode with a 10-pound sledgehammer. I quit doing all homework and class work when I got answers marked wrong because I didn't do it their way I said to hell with that. Oh yeah and when I switch schools in fifth grade and my new school was doing the exact same curriculum the exact same books as I had done in fourth grade and they wouldn't let me skip to 6th grade so I I got really used to not doing anything that year because it was so stupid doing it all over again I mean I remembered the answers from the previous year.
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    It was all computer generated. Fortis is this setup. All about money.
    Maybe any serious student would quickly leave such a profit-oriented program. Better to study in peace on one's own than put up with that crap.

12. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    When I went to UTI in Phoenix, AZ, the first half of the day was classroom, the second half hands on with the equipment. For nine months. That's how you run a tech school.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

14. Likes ksefan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    When I went to UTI in Phoenix, AZ, the first half of the day was classroom, the second half hands on with the equipment. For nine months. That's how you run a tech school.
    Wow. This is probably now totally unheard-of. One might validly gauge the health of a technically-based society such as this one on that fact alone, IMO. The middle class can no longer afford to perpetuate its own survival.

I attended a community college recently in order to study HVAC. The school recently built a brand new $5 million HVAC training facility and managed to find a decent department head. But I think he's stuck teaching every class from mechanical on, now, and half the courses in the catalog go untaught.
    Last edited by tmst; 07-25-2022 at 02:14 AM. Reason: add note

Post Likes
    Here'e my binder of notes from that trade school, probably carried it with me at work for the first 2-3 years. I still cherish that binder. Second is a shot of opening to a random page. It was the best school in America, which is why I chose that one, then NASCAR bought them out and discontinued the HVACR program.

Name:  20220725_062703[1].jpg
Views: 88
Size:  1.19 MB

Name:  20220725_062736[1].jpg
Views: 97
Size:  1.33 MB

Post Likes
    Ah, the ol' sidewys photo. But just try and find a trade school out there today teaching that type of detail.

Post Likes
    In HS I never knew what I wanted, I did not get along in Wood Working Class or even in the "Build Your Own Radio Class". The only thing that I did know was that I wanted to do was to join the the US NAVY and I signed up for the Military at 17. Then while in Chicago I saw a WWII German Submarine at a museum and I fell in love with all those valves,pipes,wires,gauges,hatches,etc,etc. Then while serving on a US Sub, I stumbled into the "A" Gang and I fell in love(again) w/ ACR and ever since then I have been to a few hundred HVACR Classes/Schools. I stumbled in the right direction, luckily and happily.

19. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    In HS I never knew what I wanted, I did not get along in Wood Working Class or even in the "Build Your Own Radio Class". The only thing that I did know was that I wanted to do was to join the the US NAVY and I signed up for the Military at 17. Then while in Chicago I saw a WWII German Submarine at a museum and I fell in love with all those valves,pipes,wires,gauges,hatches,etc,etc. Then while serving on a US Sub, I stumbled into the "A" Gang and I fell in love(again) w/ ACR and ever since then I have been to a few hundred HVACR Classes/Schools. I stumbled in the right direction, luckily and happily.
    What port & boat?

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=ehsx;26252510]What port & boat?[/QUO

Groton,Ct. SS-346, USS Corporal, EN2(SS),Auxiliary Gang, RPPO(Repair Parts Petty Officer) 68-72'

Post Likes
    Here'e my binder of notes from that trade school, probably carried it with me at work for the first 2-3 years.
    Nice. There's a guy here in San Diego who was teaching a college HVAC electrical course somewhat along these lines a few years ago, demanding that students draw circuits freehand with correct symbology, etc. I think the pandemic shot that to hell.

I bet the average Chinese HS student can probably do this stuff in his sleep. America watches TV.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=TechmanTerry;26252535]
    Quote Originally Posted by ehsx View Post
    What port & boat?[/QUO

Groton,Ct. SS-346, USS Corporal, EN2(SS),Auxiliary Gang, RPPO(Repair Parts Petty Officer) 68-72'
    Did a fair amount of work on boats in Charleston, SC. They had fast attacks, frigates, destroyers, & tenders with york marine paks. 1976- 1988.

Post Likes
    I'd like to see mandatory military service for all teenagers as in some countries. 2 years in a disciplined environment. Can you imagine the woke and ruling class hysterics?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in