Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fieldpiece SMAN Leak

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    I hope he's not actually using a manifold for vacuum.
    I sure do. People have been doing it for a hundred years.
    The bible is my constitution and the constitution is my bible.

WE THE PEOPLE refers to THEM and not YOU.

B I N G O…. bingooooo

2. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    Ever since someone said let me see how cumbersome I can make this. Lets connect my high and low side guages together and add a set of valves.
    I am a probes guy.
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.

4. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    To prevent off gassing of a sealant into the micron gauge Id use Teflon tape. But don’t think of that as a lesser solution. I have lots of 1/8npt fittings that I seal with Teflon tape only and they hold 4500psi (no that’s not a typo lol). In an ideal world npt fittings especially small ones should be able to seal on their own, but unfortunately it just doesn’t work that way in the real world.
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

6. Likes R600a, Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    Well not for some people, didn't you know, none of the old school ways worked, that's why they're still systems working from the 60's and 70's and probably earlier. It's really sad, that some of the younger techs are lead to buy all the latest and greatest, because of the hype. When systems start lasting for 20-30 years like the old school equipment, I "might" buy into all this "got to have" new technology.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

8. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I'd probably be more inclined to use Locktite 554 which is a refrigerant sealant for threaded fittings. Nylog is more of a lubricant than it is a sealant and I prefer using it in anything with a rubber gasket or o-ring, I'd be worried of them constantly getting loose and having to reapply. 554 will set and harden and create a better seal which should last longer.

10. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Well not for some people, didn't you know, none of the old school ways worked, that's why they're still systems working from the 60's and 70's and probably earlier. It's really sad, that some of the younger techs are lead to buy all the latest and greatest, because of the hype. When systems start lasting for 20-30 years like the old school equipment, I "might" buy into all this "got to have" new technology.
    Nothing wrong with the old ways just the same as there's nothing wrong with the new ways - everyone has their own preferences that suit their own workflow.

12. Likes R600a, Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Silphos might work also

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Its holding... teflon, nylog...

Ive got a new set.... and some older sets... so its no biggie...

The thing I was most curious about was that.. and maybe it was on this site... but I remember reading once that you shouldnt try to fix those fittings if they begin leaking.

It could be something completely different..... I just cant remember.

Not much if any taper on those threads if I recall... cant remember..... guess I could take it back apart and see. I thought about finding an O ring that will rest on the shelf at the bottom of the female threads in the manifold..... might try that one evening at home.
    The bible is my constitution and the constitution is my bible.

WE THE PEOPLE refers to THEM and not YOU.

B I N G O…. bingooooo

Post Likes
    You know what's funny... I used my sman for the first time this year yesterday trying to charge a system and the sight glass was leaking... I use to have a tool for it to tighten but I ended up using a 1/2"? Bolt with a nut and 2nd bolt to have a bolt on each end. A little grinder action to make the bolt head a touch smaller to fit the sightglass hole, a little tighten and voila. The hook broke off several years ago but they are solid

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kangaroogod View Post
    You know what's funny... I used my sman for the first time this year yesterday trying to charge a system and the sight glass was leaking... I use to have a tool for it to tighten but I ended up using a 1/2"? Bolt with a nut and 2nd bolt to have a bolt on each end. A little grinder action to make the bolt head a touch smaller to fit the sightglass hole, a little tighten and voila. The hook broke off several years ago but they are solid

I've had issues with the sight glass leaking but once I quit trying to pull the vacuum on them I never really cared if it leaked a little bit but I never had to hook break I think I got mine after they fix that problem.
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    I've had issues with the sight glass leaking but once I quit trying to pull the vacuum on them I never really cared if it leaked a little bit but I never had to hook break I think I got mine after they fix that problem.
    I’ve not had any issues with the SM380V hooks breaking off, but I did with my old SMAN480. The hook and manifold chassis are much beefier on the new manifolds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Likes R600a liked this post.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12