+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Installing Vacuum Breaker for WH

Post Likes

Installing Vacuum Breaker for WH

Hi All, just installed a HP water heater and had a phone call with the inspector. He asked for a vacuum breaker, which I must admit I wasn't sure I needed (not something you see on older installations, which is why it didn't already exist on my system). But I read the 2018 IPC which calls for vacuum breakers to be installed on bottom fed water heaters in section 504.2. I am wondering if there's a required location for this to be installed, the manufacturer shows it near the PRV for the water entering the house, but they also show a ball valve between the vacuum breaker and the WH, I feel like our picky inspector will balk at that. I've attached a photo of the install, where would you install a vacuum breaker in this system? For reference, the WH installed is an AO Smith HPTU-50N, manual can be found on their website.

Installed WH
    IMG_2016.jpg

Post Likes
    Did he say vacuum breaker or vacuum relief ?

Post Likes
    VTP99, I actually don't recall. I interpreted it as Vacuum breaker. Is there a difference between vacuum relief and vacuum breaker? I am a little confused by the 2018 IPC reference to ANSI Z21.22 which seems to refer to P&T Relief Valves insofar as I can tell.

Post Likes
    Ah, I now see the difference. I assume he wants a vacuum relief valve. Which is the device I thought I needed, but was using the wrong terminology. I need a vacuum relief valve, and I believe it needs to be installed above the elevation of the tank.

Post Likes
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

6. Likes ksefan, ceLebi liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in