Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum Gauges

Post Likes

Vacuum Gauges

I pulled up an old thread on recommendations. Seems like Blu Vac is the way to go. Any opinions today on something that won't break the bank. Don't need wi-fi or anything fancy, just something reliable.

Post Likes
    Seems like any decent one is going to be at least over $200. BluVac is definitely the most recommended here, and with good reason. The micro is just under $220. The +Pro is just under $400. I have both. I prefer the +Pro because of its additional functions. The function I like most is the decay test, which will tell you if there's still moisture in the system.

3. Likes dieseldude, ksefan, Zamoramax, HVAC/R 19 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I have 2 BluVac+ Pros. I like the decay resolution at 0.1u/min so you can watch the graph and tell what's going on. If my decay is steady 1.0u/min I'm going to N2 sweep the lines and pull another vacuum. Once I'm down below 0.4u/min it's good, but I like to wait until it hits 0.1-0.0.
    With other gauges the resolution is only 1.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

5. Likes HVAC/R 19 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I use the micro and love it. Best thing is being able to let the charge go and not needing to isolate it. Saves hooking up another vcrt

7. Likes HVAC/R 19 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I have a 10 yr old JB a Testo. never has a problem with either

Post Likes
    I have a BluVac pro+ and a new Fieldpiece that is wireless and both work great. The BT range on the BluVac is terrible, sometimes I can be standing right next to it and it has trouble hooking, but as a vacuum gauge it can't be beat. The FP range is stellar and it works well, and costs $215ish. Of all the vacuum gauges I've used, which amounts to quite a few, I would stick with the two mentioned above with BluVac getting the nod, as I don't really care all that much for the BT feature, as I consider it simply a convenience.

10. Likes ksefan, kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by channellxbob View Post
    I have a BluVac pro+ and a new Fieldpiece that is wireless and both work great. The BT range on the BluVac is terrible, sometimes I can be standing right next to it and it has trouble hooking, but as a vacuum gauge it can't be beat. The FP range is stellar and it works well, and costs $215ish. Of all the vacuum gauges I've used, which amounts to quite a few, I would stick with the two mentioned above with BluVac getting the nod, as I don't really care all that much for the BT feature, as I consider it simply a convenience.
    Yes it is. Seems like in this day of long range BT (like FP's), BluVac would use it. To your connection problems, whenever I've had them, if location is off (as it is for me accept when I need it) turning it on usually solves it.

12. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I can't imagine that there isn't a BluVac in the works with longer BT range.

14. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Hurst11 is offline Professional Member/Membership Committee
    Post Likes
    I have both models that fieldpiece has available. I like them both but do like the newer mg44 better. They can both handle positive pressure and refrigerant. The sole reason I like the newer one better is the graphing feature. It also is a slimmer but longer profile and comes with a connector like the blue vac’s come with and that is very helpful in a lot of applications where room to use it may be difficult.

Post Likes
    I can't imagine that there isn't a BluVac in the works with longer BT range.
    Probably. I hope not to buy another, though, and honestly, the limited range isn't that big of an issue for me for pulling a vacuum. I don't need to make multiple trips in and out at that point. That said, after using the long range FP probes for quite some time, it'd be hard to give them up. It's a beautiful thing to make corrections inside and see the changes happening on your device.

17. Likes mgenius33 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mgenius33 View Post
    I have 2 BluVac+ Pros. I like the decay resolution at 0.1u/min so you can watch the graph and tell what's going on. If my decay is steady 1.0u/min I'm going to N2 sweep the lines and pull another vacuum. Once I'm down below 0.4u/min it's good, but I like to wait until it hits 0.1-0.0.
    With other gauges the resolution is only 1.
    I can't help wondering how useful these gauges are in the 0.1u range. I mean 1.0u is a astronomical fine difference in vacuum. IIRC the blue ac accuracy is something on the order of 5% +/- 5 microns. I've not yet seen two vacuum gauges that read that close together (I know precision vs accuracy). Normally a leak free system is fairly easy even when wet. It's when you have a slight leak that you have to figure it out.

Post Likes
    I can't help wondering how useful these gauges are in the 0.1u range. I mean 1.0u is a astronomical fine difference in vacuum. IIRC the blue ac accuracy is something on the order of 5% +/- 5 microns. I've not yet seen two vacuum gauges that read that close together (I know precision vs accuracy). Normally a leak free system is fairly easy even when wet. It's when you have a slight leak that you have to figure it out.
    True, but it’s like pressure drop across a water barrel. If I use a gage that is reading 20 psig higher than actual, I don’t really care because both ends of the barrel will be 20 psig higher or lower and that’s all I care about.

I don’t really care whether a micron gage is reading “perfect” as long as it is reasonable. But I do like that precision because I can see if the vacuum is rising or falling very quickly at 0.1 microns vs 1 micron. The exactness isn’t important when you are using a meter in this manner.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    True, but it’s like pressure drop across a water barrel. If I use a gage that is reading 20 psig higher than actual, I don’t really care because both ends of the barrel will be 20 psig higher or lower and that’s all I care about.

I don’t really care whether a micron gage is reading “perfect” as long as it is reasonable. But I do like that precision because I can see if the vacuum is rising or falling very quickly at 0.1 microns vs 1 micron. The exactness isn’t important when you are using a meter in this manner.
    Exactly, rate of change over the accuracy of the number.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    I've got a Uniweld UVG (rebadged original Micro BluVac) I've been happy with. It's been discontinued and replaced by the UVG2, which I see priced as low as about $150 now. If I were buying one now and wanted Bluetooth connectivity, I'd probably go for the Micro BluVac+. If Bluetooth weren't important, I'd probably be a cheapskate and go for the Supco VG64, which Amazon currently has for $114. I don't have any experience with the Supco VG64, but I'd be willing to try it because the price is right.

As mentioned previously, sub-micron resolution is nice to have but not really necessary. If I were shooting for a 0.1-microns/minute decay rate using a gauge with 1-micron resolution, I'd just look for a change of 1 micron or less over 10 minutes. However, the additional resolution might be a worthwhile time saver so you don't have to wait 10 minutes.

Post Likes
    Can't comment on Bluvac. I sell JB, Appion, Supco, and YJ. The YJ Omni is a piece of crap. It's the cheapest one on the market and I probably take back just as many as I sell, for warranty. The Appion is the most expensive one I sell and I've never had one come back, a few complaints on the Bluetooth range. As far as JB, I sell a few different sku's. I get a few that come back for warranty but not so many that I wouldn't recommend them. I do get complaints that they have to be cleaned all the time. Last but not least, the Supco's. I don't sell a ton of them. They connect in line rather than off a tap so you need an extra hose to use them. I've never taken one back for warranty.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    I found the repeatability of the Supco’s not very good & slow to track. Would not use on large equipment or chillers.

24. Likes 2sac, R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I probably already commented on this here, but I can't say enough about BluVac, particularly the BluVac Plus Pro. Coupled with the app, there's none better, IMO.

26. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    The last time I visited the trade school they had been given a few Appion 760s to use and I tried one and thought it was great. I still believe the Bluvac is hard to beat.
    I'm still OK with 1u accuracy, I need to see vac decay over time to make a judgment so.1u isn't important. The latest FP has phenomenal range which is darn handy when working in multi story buildings. It has a bar graph much like the BV to let you know vac is dropping, so you're not waiting with no idea something is wrong.

28. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    BluVac micro has been a nightmare for me. Sent it back twice and now it sits in a drawer. Using the appion av760 now. It’s like the epitome of micron gauges. Absolute pleasure and it’s Bluetooth let’s me sit in my van and do my paperwork while watching it from 80 feet away.

R600a is online now Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Shittlebuff View Post
    BluVac micro has been a nightmare for me. Sent it back twice and now it sits in a drawer. Using the appion av760 now. It’s like the epitome of micron gauges. Absolute pleasure and it’s Bluetooth let’s me sit in my van and do my paperwork while watching it from 80 feet away.
    Why did you send it back?
    Also would you like to sell it to me to have it out of your way?
    If you're interested my email is in my profile shoot me an email and I'll make an offer. I already have two but my boss could use a second one himself.
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast