Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vacuum Gauges

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Shittlebuff View Post
    BluVac micro has been a nightmare for me. Sent it back twice and now it sits in a drawer. Using the appion av760 now. It’s like the epitome of micron gauges. Absolute pleasure and it’s Bluetooth let’s me sit in my van and do my paperwork while watching it from 80 feet away.
    Stick with the Appion
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

R600a is online now Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Stick with the Appion
    And send me the bluvac.
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

3. Likes 2sac liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Anyone know if the appion uses two separate sensors for the full range and if so at what level does it switch over between the two?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Stick with the Appion
    Care to elaborate?

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyRyan View Post
    I've got a Uniweld UVG (rebadged original Micro BluVac) I've been happy with. It's been discontinued and replaced by the UVG2, which I see priced as low as about $150 now. If I were buying one now and wanted Bluetooth connectivity, I'd probably go for the Micro BluVac+. If Bluetooth weren't important, I'd probably be a cheapskate and go for the Supco VG64, which Amazon currently has for $114. I don't have any experience with the Supco VG64, but I'd be willing to try it because the price is right.

As mentioned previously, sub-micron resolution is nice to have but not really necessary. If I were shooting for a 0.1-microns/minute decay rate using a gauge with 1-micron resolution, I'd just look for a change of 1 micron or less over 10 minutes. However, the additional resolution might be a worthwhile time saver so you don't have to wait 10 minutes.
    I've been using the supco vg 64 for a few years now and zero complaints.

Post Likes
    No matter the resolution, there's a huge benefit in order to track the decay rate in a graph. If you can't see the rate of decay logged for you, then you'd have sit there and monitor each change in pressure and reset a timer.

I wish FP would do that on a pressure test. While you can have a temperature compensated pressure test, I tend to see a decay rate on the pressure loss with digital gauges. When you turn off the nitrogen at test pressure, it doesn't stay rock solid as you close the valve. It may go down a few tenths immediately, then taper off. It would be nice to see someone integrate a pressure test decay into their app.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    Old school. New electronics far more convenient.
    H2O tp chart for diagnostics. Necessity for diagnostics.

Name:  IMG_0893.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  111.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_0892.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  148.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_0891.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  146.5 KB
    Name:  h20tp.JPG
Views: 167
Size:  369.1 KB

9. Likes Cal50, rexp liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I like my Elitech Wireless Digital Vacuum Gauge. However, compared to the brand I got that cost about $30 more, it has less range (0-20,000 microns as opposed to 0-100,000 microns).
    For doing the evacuation vacuum test on a mini-split it's fine though, because it doesn't take long to pull the vacuum down to 20,000 or below unless you have a significant leak.

The blue backlit display is nice.

My only objection were the backlit display auto-shuts off too soon when the numbers stop changing (which is actually probably okay in most cases because it means you're either done (achieve the ideal vacuum), or you've hit a problem you need to attend to. Not sure if the shutoff of the backlight can be delayed in settings.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ehsx View Post
    Old school. New electronics far more convenient.
    H2O tp chart for diagnostics. Necessity for diagnostics.

Name:  h20tp.JPG
Views: 167
Size:  369.1 KB
    A micron is 1/1000 of a mm, not a meter. 1/1000 of a meter is a mm.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mgenius33 View Post
    A micron is 1/1000 of a mm, not a meter. 1/1000 of a meter is a mm.
    Guess york engineers aren’t as smart.

Post Likes
    The one I see in most YTs is the CPS VG200. I know there are better ones but if it does the job well enough for the vast majority of people I see it's good enough for me.

R600a is online now Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by motterpaul View Post
    The one I see in most YTs is the CPS VG200. I know there are better ones but if it does the job well enough for the vast majority of people I see it's good enough for me.
    From what I see in the field I don't want to be anything like the vast majority of technicians.
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

15. Likes jayguy, dieseldude, rexp liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by motterpaul View Post
    Why be better than most?

17. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I have used the Field Piece MG44 and the Appion AV760 at work. I like that the Appion can read to atmospheric, but like the rate of change indication on the MG44.

I have a Imperial-Thermal 4501 Thermistor Vacuum Gauge at home, it is big and bulky. But the price was right on it. What is everyone's opinion on this type of analog micron gauges?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by car46999 View Post
    I have used the Field Piece MG44 and the Appion AV760 at work. I like that the Appion can read to atmospheric, but like the rate of change indication on the MG44.

I have a Imperial-Thermal 4501 Thermistor Vacuum Gauge at home, it is big and bulky. But the price was right on it. What is everyone's opinion on this type of analog micron gauges?
    With it warmed up and stabilized adjust it to read what the Appion says while reading off a tee in the same spot 1000 microns or less. Make note of the new calibration number and recheck it frequently.

20. Likes dieseldude liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    With it warmed up and stabilized adjust it to read what the Appion says while reading off a tee in the same spot 1000 microns or less. Make note of the new calibration number and recheck it frequently.
    Good advice, I will have to do that and put a sticker on it with the correction number.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by car46999 View Post

I believe one of the guys involved with developing those, is involved with bluvac.

There was a thread years ago here, with a long discussion about gauge technology and development.

Even though this site probably only represents less than 10% of HVAC field technicians, it's nice to see so many people actually using micron gauages.

23. Likes R600a liked this post.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12