Thread: Rare Refrigeration Compressor Voltage Issue (Motor)

Post Likes

Rare Refrigeration Compressor Voltage Issue (Motor)

Pardon me, this is my first post here at HVAC-Talk, I have a very old (40 years) Sub Zero unit in need of a compressor. I've found probably one of the only NOS units in the country for it. however the unit is a spare for a Taylor soft serve machine (same model and specs, except the the voltage is 220 instead of 110). Has anyone had experience with something like this? My fear is this last compressor is useless short of breaking apart the compressor and rewiring it (not worth it).

The compressor in question (although probably not familiar):
    AE121AL-014-A4 (110V)
    AE121EL-014-A4 (220V)

Thank you

Post Likes
    why not just run a 220 wire to a 120v contactor and let the wires to energize the compressor close the contactor and let the contactor turn on the compressor? I don't have a clue what you are working on but it seems like this would be an easy fix.

Post Likes
    Thanks BNME8EZ, its an older no commercial fridge, old Sub Zero residential fridge, that happens to take some beefy components. The whole system is 120V, as well as the location where its plugged in, so I'm trying to solve for that.

Post Likes
    You could use a buck booster transformer to get 230 from 120 volts and do what BNME8EZ is suggesting. You would have to make sure the original circuit could have the addition load. Or have an electrician run a 230 volt circuit to this unit.

I would post as much info you can find on this unit, model,serial, etc. I would be willing to say someone will find a replacement compressor that will work for you application in 120 volt.

Also, welcome to the site and don't be afraid to ask questions, we are always learning valuable information from other members on here.

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Why not just get a replacement compressor rather than NOS? A replacement 1/4hp R12 compressor is available. Are you trying to restore this unit or just make it operational?
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Ditto many other options out there.

Post Likes
    Get us the highlighted
    Attached Images Attached Images