+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mars H-10 Pro

Post Likes

Mars H-10 Pro

What does everyone think about The MARS H-10 Pro?

Post Likes
    I've had several over the past 10 years. my most recent is almost 2 years old. It apparently has developed the battery problem others complained about, but I had never experienced. won't fully charge....so gotta order a replacement batt.

this is the first one I've had that problem with, but it's still the best thermal on the market.

Post Likes
    Thank you.

... sitting in the Hollywood Hawaiian Hotel, listening to the air conditioner hum
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    I've had several over the past 10 years. my most recent is almost 2 years old. It apparently has developed the battery problem others complained about, but I had never experienced. won't fully charge....so gotta order a replacement batt.

this is the first one I've had that problem with, but it's still the best thermal on the market.
    Exactly the same here, about a month ago. Battery was about a year and a half old, and the indicator light would never turn green when it was on the charger, but would never turn red when I was using it. New battery from Amazon for $28 and I'm back in business.

The great professors of the art are not immune from the malignancy of matter and the eternal cussedness of inanimate objects.

Post Likes
    Thank you, someone else told me to check out the new one from Fieldpiece.

Post Likes
    The nice thing about the H10 is the adjustability.

When the sensor starts to fade, you can increase the heat setting, and essentially get the most out of every sensor.

Post Likes
    On a 0 - 10 scale how good do you think it is. It doesn't come cheap.

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by emelio67 View Post
    On a 0 - 10 scale how good do you think it is. It doesn't come cheap.
    Clearly its a 10.
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

9. Likes dieseldude liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thank you, I'll make the purchase.

Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Thank you, I'll make the purchase.
    I was joking because of the name h10 but it definitely has a good reputation around here. I've never used one personally.
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.

Post Likes
    Ok. Thanks for your honesty.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    I have liked them very much since they were made by GE. I'm not an exhaustive researcher but I have never found a leak detector that I liked more than an H-10. I'm sure I must have a half dozen at this point. All 120V but one - and that one needs a battery replaced at the moment.

PHM
    -------

What does everyone think about The MARS H-10 Pro?
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

14. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Any leak detector is only as good as the person using it. You have to learn to interpret what it's telling you.

While most of the time, beeps mean a leak, there are lots of times it doesn't. VOC's and other gases can set them off.

Personally I love the H10. But I keep an infrared detector also.

16. Likes joemach liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Ok. Thanks for everyone's input.

Post Likes
    I'll be the rat at the garden party and express my discontent for the outdated, delicate, finicky, high maintenance, and heavy/clunky H-10. My biggest complaint is is actually one of ergonomics and safety. Even the battery operated unit takes two hands to use (or one hand and a stable, flat place to set the unit down - harder to find than you would think on a chiller of any size). I find it hard to believe that we can't scale this 1950s technology down to something more user-friendly and compact.

If you make your living climbing around on big chillers or on ladders trying to find leaks, you may find that it creates an unsafe condition because you become hyper-focused on not dropping your $600-700 leak detector that weighs as much as a light bowling ball, instead of where you are taking your next step. The shoulder strap is a joke.

They find leaks just fine. Everything else about them flat out sucks for current year. I've owned 4 of them over the years (battery and 120V) and I am officially done with these things. They are the leak detector of last resort for me. If I can't find the leak with my Inficon, my eyes, and/or soap bubbles, I don't know what to tell ya. Call someone with an H-10, I don't really care.
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    I'll be the rat at the garden party and express my discontent for the outdated, delicate, finicky, high maintenance, and heavy/clunky H-10. My biggest complaint is is actually one of ergonomics and safety. Even the battery operated unit takes two hands to use (or one hand and a stable, flat place to set the unit down - harder to find than you would think on a chiller of any size). I find it hard to believe that we can't scale this 1950s technology down to something more user-friendly and compact.

If you make your living climbing around on big chillers or on ladders trying to find leaks, you may find that it creates an unsafe condition because you become hyper-focused on not dropping your $600-700 leak detector that weighs as much as a light bowling ball, instead of where you are taking your next step. The shoulder strap is a joke.

They find leaks just fine. Everything else about them flat out sucks for current year. I've owned 4 of them over the years (battery and 120V) and I am officially done with these things. They are the leak detector of last resort for me. If I can't find the leak with my Inficon, my eyes, and/or soap bubbles, I don't know what to tell ya. Call someone with an H-10, I don't really care.
    Which inficon model do you like?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    Which inficon model do you like?
    I'll be honest, I don't particularly like any of 'em. My post is by no means an endorsement of Inficon. The current one I'm using is the D-Tek 3 and it has been ok so far after a year or two. The battery life seems pretty good, it's light and easy on the ol' wrist. USB rechargeable. It has found every leak I have asked it to find, and then some. R-123, R-22, R-134A. I don't work much with R-410A or anything else for that matter, so I can't really speak to how it responds.

21. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    I'll be honest, I don't particularly like any of 'em.
    That's pretty much how I feel about my Fieldpiece detector.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    That's pretty much how I feel about my Fieldpiece detector.
    Leak detectors are basically consumable items anymore. If you get more than 3 years out of any of them without problems, you're doing pretty well.

Post Likes
    My work involves R 410 only and I like mine. I own and use 2 of them

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in