+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tech Shortage = Signing Bonus

Post Likes

Tech Shortage = Signing Bonus

I here as high as 5 grand.

Post Likes
    I hear bonuses advertised but there’s usually a catch. I don’t know anyone who actually received a bonus over $1000. My company just implemented a referral bonus to incentivize us to find (steal) more techs/installers.
    I had a high school kid ride with me recently. He is interested in the trades and had to do an on the job research trip. That was encouraging. Hopefully more high school kids will start considering the trades.
    So many older guys getting worn out and no one to fill their shoes.

3. Likes R600a, CHAINIK, Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Im getting worn out after 30 years in the trade. This young androgynous/gender bender generation...makes me sick to even look at them. How do train one of these people when you just want to punch them in the face?

Poodle Head Mikey is online now Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    I have known this lad since he was about 3-4 years old. This picture was taken yesterday - he's 16.

Name:  Jack - 66934090021__E017AEB7-17D1-4FD6-96E7-08AD3246DC37.jpeg
Views: 465
Size:  959.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Im getting worn out after 30 years in the trade. This young androgynous/gender bender generation...makes me sick to even look at them. How do train one of these people when you just want to punch them in the face?
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

7. Likes dieseldude liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I have known this lad since he was about 3-4 years old. This picture was taken yesterday - he's 16.
    He would fit right in downtown Richmond near the College

I stay away from the City much as I can
    Tell your Cat I said "Psst Psst Psst"

It seems like everywhere I go the AC is broken

9. Likes dieseldude liked this post.
    ... sitting in the Hollywood Hawaiian Hotel, listening to the air conditioner hum
    Post Likes
    maybe your attitude there is part of why the youngsters dont want to enter the trade and take some of the burden off us geezers with bad knees. I dont give a shit if the dude has glittery nail polish and eye makeup if he can clean out a bunch of 600 ton towers so i dont have to anymore.

The great professors of the art are not immune from the malignancy of matter and the eternal cussedness of inanimate objects.

11. Likes Zamoramax, OpSys liked this post.
    R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    I worked with a lady at an RV dealership and she was a hard worker she had the long fake nails and was all made up but man she worked out worked everybody else at that company. She reminded me of my mom I think we need more women in this trade because the young men are getting too wimpy. I think several of my sisters would make great heating and air technicians if I could convince them of that fact and talk them out of being underpaid waitresses.
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    At one time I worked at a shop that had an openly gay apprentice and an apprentice who didn't know he was gay, both in their early 20's. The gay kid had a good head on his shoulders and, from what I last heard, got a job at the Chicago Metropolitan Water District. An impossible gig to get even if you are connected to the cronyism. Don't know what happened to the other kid. I doubt he's still in the trades.

PHM, no disrespect. I assume that kid is into cars. Working in a garage is one thing. Could the owner of a HVAC company send him into a home or a business, looking the way he does, and get repeat or referral business? Probably wouldn't happen even if he was a star technician. Yes, he's 16 but, at some point in time he will need to realize that putting food on his table is more important than his identity. My niece is gay, went thru 20 different colors of hair in high school. Now, she just shaves her head bald. She's graduating from Loyola University in a couple months. She's been the editor of the school newspaper since sophomore year and she's a freelance journalist. She doesn't have to deal with the public and her first impression with people is thru her writing. Nobody in the family gives a shit that she's gay but I wonder if it bothers her that she is. She's hung up on her identity and I believe it could be detrimental to her success. I've got tattoos on my upper arms, back, chest, legs, and inside lower lip. None of which can be seen if I'm wearing a t-shirt and jeans. I stopped getting tattoos 30 years ago, right before they became mainstream. I purposely left from mid upper arm down untattooed because of how I would come across to a potential employer.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Poodle Head Mikey is online now Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    Post Likes
    What is this phrase in reference to: "PHM, no disrespect." ?

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    At one time I worked at a shop that had an openly gay apprentice and an apprentice who didn't know he was gay, both in their early 20's. The gay kid had a good head on his shoulders and, from what I last heard, got a job at the Chicago Metropolitan Water District. An impossible gig to get even if you are connected to the cronyism. Don't know what happened to the other kid. I doubt he's still in the trades.

PHM, no disrespect. I assume that kid is into cars. Working in a garage is one thing. Could the owner of a HVAC company send him into a home or a business, looking the way he does, and get repeat or referral business? Probably wouldn't happen even if he was a star technician. Yes, he's 16 but, at some point in time he will need to realize that putting food on his table is more important than his identity. My niece is gay, went thru 20 different colors of hair in high school. Now, she just shaves her head bald. She's graduating from Loyola University in a couple months. She's been the editor of the school newspaper since sophomore year and she's a freelance journalist. She doesn't have to deal with the public and her first impression with people is thru her writing. Nobody in the family gives a shit that she's gay but I wonder if it bothers her that she is. She's hung up on her identity and I believe it could be detrimental to her success. I've got tattoos on my upper arms, back, chest, legs, and inside lower lip. None of which can be seen if I'm wearing a t-shirt and jeans. I stopped getting tattoos 30 years ago, right before they became mainstream. I purposely left from mid upper arm down untattooed because of how I would come across to a potential employer.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    What is this phrase in reference to: "PHM, no disrespect." ?

PHM
    -------
    Didn't want you to take it like I thought that kid with the makeup was a loser.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    maybe your attitude there is part of why the youngsters dont want to enter the trade and take some of the burden off us geezers with bad knees
    I have a great attitude, work ethic, and even got a $100 tip today on a call. Its the newer generation that has the attitude, no ethics, and don't know which bathroom they should use. They don't even know what gender they are. What a phuking horror show!

Post Likes
    Oh; I see. None taken.

He's a smart kid; intellectually gifted, plays a bunch of musical instruments, has made movies since he was 6-7. Started with claymation but now does all kinds of science fiction and Dr. Who type stuff - it's good stuff too. I just think his choices of appearance are stupid. And I'm not judgmental - he can do whatever he wants to and I will support his right to do so. But . . . I would Not give him a job. Even if he could clean 600 ton cooling towers. <g>

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Didn't want you to take it like I thought that kid with the makeup was a loser.
    PHM
    --------

... sitting in the Hollywood Hawaiian Hotel, listening to the air conditioner hum
    Post Likes
    I have a great attitude, work ethic, and even got a $100 tip today on a call. Its the newer generation that has the attitude, no ethics, and don't know which bathroom they should use. They don't even know what gender they are. What a phuking horror show!

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Greeks, circa 470BC
    Children; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. They no longer rise when elders enter the room, they contradict their parents and tyrannize their teachers. Children are now tyrants.
    Don't think the youngsters give a crap what you think, they haven't for at least 2500 years, and I suspect a little bit longer than that, too. I hope that my lasting legacy is not "glad that grumpy old **** is gone."

The great professors of the art are not immune from the malignancy of matter and the eternal cussedness of inanimate objects.

19. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Hold on here PHM, you sure about that last sentence ?
    Good help is in short supply these days 🤔

Post Likes
    That would be my issue : you would have to hide them from the customers. In a production environment someone with facial tattoos or wearing garish makeup could be kept productively busy out of sight. But interfacing with customers? I don't think that would fly.

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by CHAINIK View Post
    maybe your attitude there is part of why the youngsters dont want to enter the trade and take some of the burden off us geezers with bad knees. I dont give a shit if the dude has glittery nail polish and eye makeup if he can clean out a bunch of 600 ton towers so i dont have to anymore.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    PHM
    --------

23. Likes VTP99, ESokoloff liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CHAINIK View Post
    Don't think the youngsters give a crap what you think, they haven't for at least 2500 years, and I suspect a little bit longer than that, too. I hope that my lasting legacy is not "glad that grumpy old **** is gone."
    Didn't mean to trigger you CHAINIK. Perhaps a coloring book or screaming at the sky may help you?

Post Likes
    Didn't mean to trigger you CHAINIK. Perhaps a coloring book or screaming at the sky may help you?
    Hey, never said I wasn't an old grumpy ****, I just try to be judicious about who finds out about it.

Now that, on the other hand.. to me that sounds as old as John Phillips Sousa on the Victrola. Man, y'all must all be one foot in the grave around here.

26. Likes 2sac liked this post.
    Post Likes

Name:  Jack - 66934090021__E017AEB7-17D1-4FD6-96E7-08AD3246DC37.jpeg
Views: 465
Size:  959.5 KB
    Why don't you post a picture of yourself. It's easy to ridicule others. Let some of us poke fun at the way you look.

28. Likes R600a, GoCougs liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in