+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drain Traps in basement ceiling ???

Post Likes

Drain Traps in basement ceiling ???

My daughter just purchased a small house in the Poconos that has a septic system, The drain traps for kitchen, bath and laundry are located in the ceiling of the basement below the floor joists , I have never seen this setup before. Can this be right? I thought drain traps need to be near the drains, Thanks

Post Likes
    It is preferable to have the drain traps as close to the fixture as possible, but they will work well downstream as long as there are no pockets upstream. This answer assumes they include cleanouts. Some installs simply trap water to prevent gasses from entering the occupied space. I wouldn't do that but have seen it done.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    I am not a plumber but I thought I remembered something about S-traps being at least frowned on - and perhaps banned.

So . . . to go straight down - rather than into a wall and then down - the P-trap would have to be under the floor.

Are the basement traps P-traps?

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by Phillylandlord View Post
    My daughter just purchased a small house in the Poconos that has a septic system, The drain traps for kitchen, bath and laundry are located in the ceiling of the basement below the floor joists , I have never seen this setup before. Can this be right? I thought drain traps need to be near the drains, Thanks
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I am not a plumber but I thought I remembered something about S-traps being at least frowned on - and perhaps banned.

So . . . to go straight down - rather than into a wall and then down - the P-trap would have to be under the floor.

Are the basement traps P-traps?

PHM
    --------
    I have heard similar stories that water flow will flush the water out of the trap leaving it open to sewer gasses when using S-traps.

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    Double back-to-back 90's in a drain line will also do it - and so are prohibited.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Siphoning the trap is velocity dependent and how full the pipe is.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    can you estimate the distance between the drains trap?

Post Likes
    Is there an Air Valve “Bladder,” where the sewage goes out to the Septic Tank? As I’ve seen that in Upstate New York, Summer Cabins. All the traps have drains, for Freeze-Burst Drainage protection. BTW There will be a huge bulge in the pipe, where the Air Valve is located.

Post Likes
    You can see a lot of properties like that in older homes. Most of the places you see are for showers or bathtubs. They still sell them and install them. It’s a way to clean out the stopped up drains and most have unions to take apart. P-traps under sinks are what you see, but I installed new plumbing and installed the 2” traps on the drain for a shower and bathtub because its nice to have if you drop something down the drain as well as keeping sewer gases from coming up through the plumbing main drain line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in