Thread: Balancing Temp SP, RH, and Dew Point in Ammonia Refrigeration

Post Likes

Balancing Temp SP, RH, and Dew Point in Ammonia Refrigeration

Hello Team,

Normally on the residential forum annoying the pros - but about to annoy the pros here in commercial regarding *ideas* - not actual changes to operating commercial refrigeration equipment in a non-standard way...

Inside a facility where cool temperatures are generally preferred (50-60 F) we also have to dehumidify to avoid condensation on cold surfaces - which is a challenge.

Cold During the Day = Cold Metal Panel Walls
    Hot Water Sanitation at Night = Wet / Condensation on Walls
    Condensation Early AM = Undesirable

In general, we try to exhaust as much humid / wet hot air as possible during the sanitation process.
    In general, we try to dehumidify as much as possible with equipment while bringing in outside air.
    In general, we try to get to the coolest temperatures we can while using total system capacity; BUT...

I am trying to optimize the temperature set point, relative humidity set point, or system schedule to avoid operation near dew point or a temperature where condensation may occur on metal walls.

Not expecting an answer, just ideas or references to technical literature or discussion. We will max out our system capacity this summer - and hoping to optimize some areas for efficiency so that other process equipment can remain in operation at full capacity.

Thanks for your feedback!

2. Likes TechmanTerry liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Run the chilled water as cold as possible, use pre heat and reheat coils to control supply air temperature.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    Moore Products in Spring House PA used to use their own controls to do the majority of the space cooling in their offices and large manufacturing facility with ceiling hydronic panels held to one degree above the dew point of the subject area.

Humidity levels were maintained independently with massive chilled water coils.

And with all pneumatic controls.

My point is that I know it can be done. <g> C. B Moore is long dead and Moore Products was eventually bought out by Siemens - but controlling your equipment with dew point as the primary consideration can certainly be done.

Maybe ask over in the Controls Forums ?

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by JustGotAC View Post
    Hello Team,

Normally on the residential forum annoying the pros - but about to annoy the pros here in commercial regarding *ideas* - not actual changes to operating commercial refrigeration equipment in a non-standard way...

Inside a facility where cool temperatures are generally preferred (50-60 F) we also have to dehumidify to avoid condensation on cold surfaces - which is a challenge.

Cold During the Day = Cold Metal Panel Walls
    Hot Water Sanitation at Night = Wet / Condensation on Walls
    Condensation Early AM = Undesirable

In general, we try to exhaust as much humid / wet hot air as possible during the sanitation process.
    In general, we try to dehumidify as much as possible with equipment while bringing in outside air.
    In general, we try to get to the coolest temperatures we can while using total system capacity; BUT...

I am trying to optimize the temperature set point, relative humidity set point, or system schedule to avoid operation near dew point or a temperature where condensation may occur on metal walls.

Not expecting an answer, just ideas or references to technical literature or discussion. We will max out our system capacity this summer - and hoping to optimize some areas for efficiency so that other process equipment can remain in operation at full capacity.

Thanks for your feedback!
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in