+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AC/Heat Pumps to replace condo fireplaces

Post Likes

AC/Heat Pumps to replace condo fireplaces

Hi All, my first post.
    Thanks for any input, apologies if this offends anyone.

Can anyone point me to solutions to replacing gas fireplaces with an AC and/or heat pump?
    Any existing threads on this board?
    I found a few hoaky DIY installs on youtube & elsewhere, but no "made for fireplace insert" products.

Looking for all types of flue, but mostly sidewall direct vented. Prefer 115V/15A, but 208V might be available in some cases.
    We have a bunch of clients interested in this;
    * Retirement homes because they are worried about people dying with no AC, and are tired of maintenance and old fireplaces with pilots blowing out.
    * Condos want to add cooling without having to do a separate envelope penetration. Also because many buildings have no suite gas meters and the strata councils squabble continuously about members using too much gas.
    Since 600 people died in BC in the "heat dome" last summer everyone has been looking for any possible way to add AC in apartments. Window units are very uncommon in lower BC, and cardboard with holes for portable AC ducts are popping up everywhere. People have suggested using the fireplace flue as a place to get AC outdoor air in & out of suites.

Thanks!

Post Likes
    You could look into mini splits if you don’t want window units. It’s only two small holes, no ducts, and a small outdoor footprint. Even most window units require 208/230. I think your better off with window units or mini splits, than trying to retrofit a fireplace.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by John Foster View Post
    People have suggested using the fireplace flue as a place to get AC outdoor air in & out of suites.

Thanks!
    Air conditioners do not move air in & out of suites.
    It might be possible to route refrigerant tubing out a chimney but then the issue where to put the outdoor unit. I can't imagine mounting one near a chimney.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    I don't think you should remove the fireplaces, even though they heat worse than AC, but they are much cheaper to maintain. So I agree with those who wrote you above that you can leave the fireplaces for heat, and for cooling put a split system

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in