+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Freezestat with latching realy

Post Likes

Freezestat with latching realy

I haven’t come across the following application before, where integral face and bypass steam heating coils shall have auto-reset freezestats and latching relays. I need to provide latching relays with LED indicator of relay status for each freezestat (10 total) so that the relay will remain latched after the freezestat resets. A momentary reset switch will be provided for remote contact reset from the DDC system for resetting the freezestat alarm. The relays shall be unlatched after a power fail.

I was planning on using DPDT relays for the latching circuit and understand how to create the latch using the first set of N.O. contacts on the relay wired in parallel with the N.O. momentary switch to keep the relay coil energized. However I’m struggling with how to achieve the above mentioned circuit in the real world and am hoping someone has experience doing this and provide some insight.

I typically have multiple freezestats (SPDT) in series with each other and a 24VAC relay coil (with one set of contacts as an input to the DDC controller) so that when any one of the freezestats trips it creates an alarm through the BAS system. The freezestat acts independently of the DDC system via a hardwire interlock and shuts down the system.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnen86 View Post
    latch using the first set of N.O. contacts on the relay wired in parallel with the N.O. momentary switch to keep the relay coil energized.
    Momentary switch should be NC and wired in series with the latching circuit. Push the button it breaks the latching circuit and the relay resets.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

3. Likes roadgear16, stanbyyourword liked this post.
    Post Likes
    It sounds like you have the right idea. Your N.O. freezestat will energize the relay (and LED) when it trips. One set of N.O. contacts on the relay will alarm to the BAS. The other N.O. relay contact, in series with the N.C. reset switch(or is it a relay from the BAS?), will parallel the freezestat. When the relay is energized, it will hold itself on until the reset button is pressed or the power drops out (and the freezestat has reset). Which part are you struggling with if not the wiring?

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Post Likes
    These guys are on in. You'll need a NC momentary push button like described. Trane did this circuit factory on the old T Series AHUs, and I believe they carried it into the PCC indoor/outdoor. The old 2S6 push button with the 2K9 relay. Another example could be a motor starter with start and stop buttons instead of an HOA. The stop is usually a NC momentary that would be the same as your "reset" button in your circuit.

6. Likes desert guy liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by roadgear16 View Post
    These guys are on in. You'll need a NC momentary push button like described. Trane did this circuit factory on the old T Series AHUs....
    Sounds like it might be diagrammed in the manual?
    Hmmmm....smells like numbatwo to me.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by numbawunfela View Post
    Sounds like it might be diagrammed in the manual?
    Maybe not the manual, but the AHU wiring diagram for sure.

Post Likes
    Maybe not the manual, but the AHU wiring diagram for sure.
    Exactly, this is often in the manual. Got that manual?
    Hmmmm....smells like numbatwo to me.

Post Likes
    So not being a controls dude but interested in the subject at hand how would this fit into the equation or wouldn't it ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

11. Likes R600a, numbawunfela liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by numbawunfela View Post
    Exactly, this is often in the manual. Got that manual?
    I do have various Trane AHU manuals, but unfortunately they do not put unit wiring diagrams in the Manual, since they are typically unit specific.

Post Likes
    Name:  drawing.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  228.2 KB

Here's a rough drawing of the circuit. The LLT relay would also have a set of contacts in the VFD/starter safety circuit, as well as a contact to the BAS for status.

14. Likes orion242, VTP99, stanbyyourword liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Bingo.

The LLT relay would also have a set of contacts in the VFD/starter safety circuit, as well as a contact to the BAS for status.
    Drawing all that up sounds like work lol.

A bonus round would be sorting it out for N.C. freezestat contacts.

16. Likes roadgear16 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnen86 View Post
    I haven’t come across the following application before, where integral face and bypass steam heating coils shall have auto-reset freezestats and latching relays. I need to provide latching relays with LED indicator of relay status for each freezestat (10 total) so that the relay will remain latched after the freezestat resets. A momentary reset switch will be provided for remote contact reset from the DDC system for resetting the freezestat alarm. The relays shall be unlatched after a power fail.

I was planning on using DPDT relays for the latching circuit and understand how to create the latch using the first set of N.O. contacts on the relay wired in parallel with the N.O. momentary switch to keep the relay coil energized. However I’m struggling with how to achieve the above mentioned circuit in the real world and am hoping someone has experience doing this and provide some insight.

I typically have multiple freezestats (SPDT) in series with each other and a 24VAC relay coil (with one set of contacts as an input to the DDC controller) so that when any one of the freezestats trips it creates an alarm through the BAS system. The freezestat acts independently of the DDC system via a hardwire interlock and shuts down the system.
    This might be old news but ACI makes a 50’ freezestats. Pain in the ass to install but less freezestats overall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Likes

Here's a rough drawing of the circuit. The LLT relay would also have a set of contacts in the VFD/starter safety circuit, as well as a contact to the BAS for status.
    Alternatively you could put the reset button in series with the LLT relay holding contacts. This way the reset button would do nothing as long as the freezestat is still tripped vs. momentarily resetting the relay and re-energizing it when the button is released.

That would really be a matter of preference.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkman Spawn View Post
    Alternatively you could put the reset button in series with the LLT relay holding contacts. This way the reset button would do nothing as long as the freezestat is still tripped vs. momentarily resetting the relay and re-energizing it when the button is released.

That would really be a matter of preference.
    For sure. More than one way to skin the cat. Although the downside to the LLT being N/O is if someone happens to unplug it or cut the wire it will never trip. Just happened to a customer and they lost 2 CHW coils. Old Trane T-series AHUs with this circuit. Someone either couldn't get the units running or pulled the plug while doing filter maintenance without knowing.

Post Likes
    For sure. More than one way to skin the cat. Although the downside to the LLT being N/O is if someone happens to unplug it or cut the wire it will never trip. Just happened to a customer and they lost 2 CHW coils. Old Trane T-series AHUs with this circuit. Someone either couldn't get the units running or pulled the plug while doing filter maintenance without knowing.
    Good point. I never though about it, but we always use N/C for our safeties, probably for that reason. If you wanted to make this a latching circuit you would have to have NC freezestat > NO reset button in parallel with NO holding contact of relay > relay coil.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkman Spawn View Post
    Would do the same. Can't reset unless fstat is cleared.

Name:  Latch.png
Views: 413
Size:  47.5 KB

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in