Thread: Hoshizaki 1900 Ice maker....Can I use muriatic acid to clean?

Post Likes

Confused Hoshizaki 1900 Ice maker....Can I use muriatic acid to clean?

Hello everyone! New member here... I have been in the HVAC business in San Angelo Texas for 12 years. I worked at mom and pops for doing residential service and installs for 6 years and then worked at the local college doing HVAC as well. While at the college I worked on just about everything HVAC... carrier infinity's, package units, split systems, LG ulti synces, minisplits, fumehoods, ptac, walk in vaults,, etc.

In regards to Ice machines....I have worked on nothing but Manitowoc I know it is breaking the ten commandments to use anything but nickel safe to clean it.

I recently bought a self vending RO and Ice water machine that has a Large Hoshozaki 1900 on it. It is now time to do the second semi annual cleaning and I have heard that I can use muriatic acid a a cheaper option because to coil is pure stainless steel. Is this true? The first time I cleaned it with Nickle safe cleaner and it quite frankly sucked and I was disappointed with the results and to spend the $90 on a bottle of cleaner.

I am just overly paranoid to use muriatic acids as I have been drilled via manotic to use nothing but Nickle safe. Please give me yalls opinion.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    If cleaning you need to clean the inside surface of the evap too and the whole evaporator is not pure stainless.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark.h View Post
    Hello everyone! New member here... I have been in the HVAC business in San Angelo Texas for 12 years. I worked at mom and pops for doing residential service and installs for 6 years and then worked at the local college doing HVAC as well. While at the college I worked on just about everything HVAC... carrier infinity's, package units, split systems, LG ulti synces, minisplits, fumehoods, ptac, walk in vaults,, etc.

In regards to Ice machines....I have worked on nothing but Manitowoc I know it is breaking the ten commandments to use anything but nickel safe to clean it.

I recently bought a self vending RO and Ice water machine that has a Large Hoshozaki 1900 on it. It is now time to do the second semi annual cleaning and I have heard that I can use muriatic acid a a cheaper option because to coil is pure stainless steel. Is this true? The first time I cleaned it with Nickle safe cleaner and it quite frankly sucked and I was disappointed with the results and to spend the $90 on a bottle of cleaner.

I am just overly paranoid to use muriatic acids as I have been drilled via manotic to use nothing but Nickle safe. Please give me yalls opinion.
    I would say that is a hard no. I've used small amounts of lime-a-way on really bad grids before to remove scale and deposits. It took many repeat cleanings over and over using small amounts and double overkill the rinsing x3 and toss the first few batches of ice.

Post Likes
    If you want to kill that machine, fine go for it!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Red850kid View Post
    I would say that is a hard no. I've used small amounts of lime-a-way on really bad grids before to remove scale and deposits. It took many repeat cleanings over and over using small amounts and double overkill the rinsing x3 and toss the first few batches of ice.
    The old machines recommended lime a away in the cleaning instructions
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

7. Likes Red850kid liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crazzycajun View Post
    The old machines recommended lime a away in the cleaning instructions
    My wife's old highschool had a spot they let kids smoke

Post Likes
    Did you say RO, as in reverse osmosis? Is this what the machine uses to make ice with? If so, there shouldn't be any minerals on the plates to have to deal with.

I'm guessing this isn't the case though, and even with hoshizaki water filters the plates tend to get nice and crusty. Why is that?

Anyways, try some non nickel-safe cleaner on it. Also get one of these long brush thingys if you you don't already have one.

If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

10. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    Did you say RO, as in reverse osmosis? Is this what the machine uses to make ice with? If so, there shouldn't be any minerals on the plates to have to deal with.

I'm guessing this isn't the case though, and even with hoshizaki water filters the plates tend to get nice and crusty. Why is that?

Anyways, try some non nickel-safe cleaner on it. Also get one of these long brush thingys if you you don't already have one.

Second vote for the brush
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Whatcha guys got for this ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Whatcha guys got for this ?
    A lot of Vodka!

Post Likes
    Local Pizza place has a Hoshizaki Square Cuber. We have to wash everything 2X a year due to all the yeast in the air.

Post Likes
    Owner had this restaurant for 15 years and recently sold it.
    However the last month before he sold it this problem came up.
    I was there for the new owner and have my suspicions.
    No other equipment is experiencing this like sinks, dishwasher, hot water tank etc.
    Has the pre filter and expensive second filter all changed since.

Post Likes
    RO doesn't necessarily remove minerals. Just particulate down to a certain size. So if the minerals are "dissolved", then they'll pass right on through.

Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    RO doesn't necessarily remove minerals. Just particulate down to a certain size. So if the minerals are "dissolved", then they'll pass right on through.
    RO water "should" be about as mineral free as anything.

Post Likes
    Run salt water through one and tell me how it tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    RO water "should" be about as mineral free as anything.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    No.

Post Likes
    I would never represent myself as an ice machine tech but I use a lot of muriatic acid in my swimming pool & cleaning concrete. If the OP does use the stuff just remember you never add water the acid, only add acid to water . If you don't follow that #1 rule it will hurt you.