Thread: Surprised by plumber buddy

Post Likes

Surprised by plumber buddy

My neighbor friend is a licensed plumber does heating too. He was 1 man show w helper now has 2 guys and 2 trucks post covid he got busy. Anyway he got 2 boilers in a 2 family he's busy and asked if I would do them and leave some meat for him to profit. I did them yesterday and wrapped up 2day. I was checking gas pressure w my fieldpiece Mano when he stoped by to approve the installs and was like what are you doing? Doesn't own a Mano and never adjusted pressure on a gas unit said just leave it they are pre set. Mind you he does gas hydronic boilers only on the heating side. I was surprised by this

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by worldclasshvac View Post
    My neighbor friend is a licensed plumber does heating too. He was 1 man show w helper now has 2 guys and 2 trucks post covid he got busy. Anyway he got 2 boilers in a 2 family he's busy and asked if I would do them and leave some meat for him to profit. I did them yesterday and wrapped up 2day. I was checking gas pressure w my fieldpiece Mano when he stoped by to approve the installs and was like what are you doing? Doesn't own a Mano and never adjusted pressure on a gas unit said just leave it they are pre set. Mind you he does gas hydronic boilers only on the heating side. I was surprised by this
    Tell him you are starting it up properly.

Post Likes
    Manometers are for sissies....
    Tell your Cat I said "Psst Psst Psst"

Post Likes
    Doing it wrong for 20+ years is nothing new!

5. Likes kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Doing it wrong for 20+ years is nothing new!
    Company I used to work for was a Father n son ... and I was the helper

He used to remove A12-700 type thermostats (factory ones) and throw in a regular Ambient style stat .... then a few months later when the coil iced up he would get more money on a service call for thawing the coil

Im like "dude, why dont you purchase coil sense thermostats like its supposed to have"

He chewed my ass for 5 minutes how he's been doing refrigeration for 40 years and I dont know half what he does

We never saw eye to eye after that .... and soon after I left
    Tell your Cat I said "Psst Psst Psst"

Post Likes
    We care about the customer, he cared about the money.

My competition still cuts the cap tube on head masters and installs a fan cycle. That’s the way he was trained!

Post Likes
    This is an interesting topic. I have seemed to notice installations that are completed by a "plumbing/heating" contractors are simpler and less efficient designs for example cast iron boiler rather than a more complex but efficient system etc... . I have also taken many

variables into consideration but I have always wondered if it were because they weren't familiar with the technical stuff that's involved with making sure it's installed properly and going to last. I'm not saying there aren't plumbing companies that are very

knowledgeable about the latest technology and tech savy.

Yes I've witnessed people call things junk or bad equipment just because they don't understand them.

Post Likes
    I mainly do controls and service and I'm amazed at how little effort some companies put into a proper start up. A while back I was doing controls on a building with a dozen roof tops and the installing company did the start ups. 2 guys went on the roof for less than an hour and said they bled the gas so they're good to go. Rotation was wrong in 3 I found.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cbannor View Post
    I mainly do controls and service and I'm amazed at how little effort some companies put into a proper start up. A while back I was doing controls on a building with a dozen roof tops and the installing company did the start ups. 2 guys went on the roof for less than an hour and said they bled the gas so they're good to go. Rotation was wrong in 3 I found.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Sounds Normal to me.

thats the problem, no one's accountable!

11. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    That's a good point on simple installs. I don't think I've ever seen a non standard install on a boiler from a plumbing/heating outfit. I will say many do nice pipe work

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    I get paid a lot more on installs because I hang around for a few hours after everyone else is done and do the startup that used to get ignored. My boss noticed and doubled my pay.
    It has seriously cut down on callbacks from our installs.
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.

14. Likes ksefan, mofotech, JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    For years equipment sent here was engineered for sea level to 2000' alt so adjustments were necessary.
    Either change the orifices or the pressure. But even then there are contractors that don't own a gauge.
    Don't know how many but overfire is on the check list.
    Or the mini split that was running for 2 weeks with the valves closed.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

16. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I used to do sidework for this guy that owned a service based company. He didn't want to do anything but push-pulls so he gave me everything else.

He would leave about 30 boxes of 6" flex and a base can and tell me to do some very crappy things. His thinking was, it is going to move the 80K btus, the duct doesn't matter. I did him some learnin.

18. Likes R600a liked this post.