+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another

Post Likes

Another

Another downflow/upflow due to height limitations. Media sideways. Wasn't complete but it came out ok I think?

2. Likes STEVEusaPA, heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes

Another

Man after my own heart. Turning vanes!!!!

My metal shop makes fun of me. Says I’m the only person that does resi work that puts them in.

I love them.

Why not rip out the metal above each unit for clean seams all the way up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes R600a, kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhenergy View Post
    Man after my own heart. Turning vanes!!!!

My metal shop makes fun of me. Says I’m the only person that does resi work that puts them in.

I love them.

Why not rip out the metal above each unit for clean seams all the way up?

We just transitioned to what was there. Time is money I suppose, we have plenty of time if they have plenty of money. In this case their part was a failure on their part

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

6. Likes jbhenergy liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Is that how tall coils are now?

What was there before?

Low boy, heat only?

Post Likes
    Why waste time with the turning vanes and go for quality when you just scab and tape the old connections?? All that tape and how the tubing was ran looks pretty unprofessional.

I know you can do better. Not busting chops just reacting to what I see.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    Is that how tall coils are now?

What was there before?

Low boy, heat only?

The house had a 4 ton undersized system as there was an addition added several years ago and we installed a 5 ton. The old system was a low seer smaller indoor coil (that was wedged into the plenumn with the top of the coil touching the top of plenumn)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Adlerberts-Protege View Post
    Why waste time with the turning vanes and go for quality when you just scab and tape the old connections?? All that tape and how the tubing was ran looks pretty unprofessional.

I wish we didn't have to tape but code requires us to and the red lettering is required to be shown. Mastic isn't a thing around here. I may see mastic a few times a year. We did add a few standoff clamps to the vinyl. I appreciate the feedback

Post Likes

I think Mastic looks unprofessional , like a 4th grader did the install

I love Red/ Blue/Green Lettering on the Foil ....
    Tell your Cat I said "Psst Psst Psst"

It seems like everywhere I go the AC is broken

12. Likes kangaroogod, joemach liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    I think Mastic looks unprofessional , like a 4th grader did the install

I love Red/ Blue/Green Lettering on the Foil ....
    You're telling me that lettered tape looks better than this?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

14. Likes R600a, heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Several years ago we did mastic on a job which looked descent i thought. The customer demanded we tear it all out, mask it all off and have absolutely perfect lines...

Post Likes
    I do as much clear silicone as possible. I dislike both tape and mastic. So there.

17. Likes R600a, heatingman liked this post.
    R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kangaroogod View Post
    Several years ago we did mastic on a job which looked descent i thought. The customer demanded we tear it all out, mask it all off and have absolutely perfect lines...

That is nuts. What did you do? I assume you didn't kill them and bury them in the back yard since you are posting about it.
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes

Educate them on the value of proper duct sealing and what PTCS is, and the potential savings it brings. I let me customers know beforehand how I will be sealing their ducts and they are smart enough to know the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    That is nuts. What did you do? I assume you didn't kill them and bury them in the back yard since you are posting about it.
    We bent over. We sent a helper back for a full day with like 10 rolls of painters tape and replaced a bunch of ducting. I dont think we have been back to the home since.
    It was a referral from a good customer so we didn't want to burn too many bridges

21. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Excellent job! Turning vanes are a necessity in a 90*.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    I was talking with another sub at the supply house one morning years ago and he said he was subbing from a company that required straight lines like that all their rough ins....... better you than me...... I always kept things neat and clean but, masking off with paint/masking tape, not gonna do it.

Post Likes
    It is pretty hilarious how everyone knows that mastic is the way to go, yet many come on and defend lettered metal tape, lol.

Let us all be honest here and admit you would be much happier with the way my project looks than that tape abomination.

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    It is pretty hilarious how everyone knows that mastic is the way to go, yet many come on and defend lettered metal tape, lol.

Let us all be honest here and admit you would be much happier with the way my project looks than that tape abomination.
    Oh I'm totally with you mastic is the best.
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    I always thought it was funny how you hear about how "efficient" sealing ducts is, until I realized that most of the world is not Wisconsin. Around here furnaces are almost always in the basement, and the basement is part of the conditioned area. And there are always supplies cut into the main trunk line on unfinished basements to condition the basement, so spending a bunch of time sealing the duct is a waste, as your going to be cutting in supplies that dump air into the exact same area. The only times we spend seriously sealing ducts are in unconditioned areas, or if there is zoning going on, and a finished basement happening. We still seal the obvious stuff right at the furnace mostly to keep it nice and quiet, and especially around the filter rack past the filter to keep unfiltered air from sucking through the system.
    As to mastic versus tape, I personally think they both have their place, and around the furnace, and coil I think mastic is a horrible idea, some day a guy is going to have to take that apart, and we all know how hard it is to peal out a drive that is mastic in. I agree that mastic makes for a better and longer lasting seal though.
    To the OP, I like the idea sort of, but why not just go horizontal? My biggest problem with turning vanes in resi is that people like to get duct cleanings these days, and turning vanes are worse than hand dampers to hit with a brush inside a duct....
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

27. Likes doc havoc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelbaron View Post
    I always thought it was funny how you hear about how "efficient" sealing ducts is, until I realized that most of the world is not Wisconsin. Around here furnaces are almost always in the basement, and the basement is part of the conditioned area. And there are always supplies cut into the main trunk line on unfinished basements to condition the basement, so spending a bunch of time sealing the duct is a waste, as your going to be cutting in supplies that dump air into the exact same area. The only times we spend seriously sealing ducts are in unconditioned areas, or if there is zoning going on, and a finished basement happening. We still seal the obvious stuff right at the furnace mostly to keep it nice and quiet, and especially around the filter rack past the filter to keep unfiltered air from sucking through the system.
    As to mastic versus tape, I personally think they both have their place, and around the furnace, and coil I think mastic is a horrible idea, some day a guy is going to have to take that apart, and we all know how hard it is to peal out a drive that is mastic in. I agree that mastic makes for a better and longer lasting seal though.
    To the OP, I like the idea sort of, but why not just go horizontal? My biggest problem with turning vanes in resi is that people like to get duct cleanings these days, and turning vanes are worse than hand dampers to hit with a brush inside a duct....
    Great point and something I hadn't considered. We too have basements here which are in the thermal envelope of the home 95% of the time and your right, sealing is a pretty big waste of time. When the customer *****es about a small Air leak from a seam and also wants a supply register in the basement 10' away in the same sentence it can be comical

29. Likes doc havoc liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in