Thread: Taking ACR Certified Technician Exam in Austin, TX. Need Help!

Post Likes

Taking ACR Certified Technician Exam in Austin, TX. Need Help!

Hi everyone,
    I have been a member on this forum for couple years and have learned a lot from this site. I'm currently a ACR registered technician in Austin, TX and ready to take the ACR certified technician exam. I just have the following questions and hope someone already did the exam can me some advice to prepare for the exam.

What is the best way to prepare for this exam.
    Is Modern Refrigeration and Air Conditioning all I need to read?
    Is a calculator required to do the exam?
    Is there any practice exam that I can buy?

Much appreciate your help!

Post Likes
    Do you mean for a TACL license or for registration with TDLR?

The great professors of the art are not immune from the malignancy of matter and the eternal cussedness of inanimate objects.

Post Likes
    Hi Chainik,
    It is the certified technician exam with TDLR not the TACL contractor license. I can take the contractor license exam after being a certified technician with TDLR for 1 year.

Post Likes
    Maybe things have changed over the last few years, but...
    yeah, so there's no test, that I am aware of. Are you sure that you have to take a test? Because to register, it's just pay the fee and get the card sent to you. Registered means just that, that you registered with the state and that you clicked the box saying that if you have a criminal background that you disclosed it. Certified means you went through a certified program, like at school. But when I selected "certified" on the website, it's not like there was any verification, I just had to pay a higher fee.

That said, my registration has been lapsed for several years, and the state doesn't even notify me. Not once, in 10 years, has an employer, customer, or inspector asked to see that card, so I just forgot about it. The fee to renew an expired card is more than double the renewal price, so I just said meh.

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/
    Maybe they would be more helpful than me.

The great professors of the art are not immune from the malignancy of matter and the eternal cussedness of inanimate objects.

Post Likes
    I guess thing have changed now. There is no test to register but to become a certified technician you need to take a test. I was talking to the Program Chief of ACR at TDRL and he was saying that there are currently no training programs that have applied and meet the requirements of 2,000 hours combined classroom and on the job training. Currently the only path to the Certified Technician Exam is 24 months working as a Registered Technician under the supervision of a Licensed Contractor. Attachment is the content outline of the exam.
    Certified Technician Exam Content Outline.docx