Thread: New Member, Recently Changed Careers

Post Likes

New Member, Recently Changed Careers

Hey All!
    Im not sure if this is the right place to post this, so mods feel free to move it.
    I was laid off during the pandemic and was able to get a part time job in my previous industry(DoD contractor, Cybersecurity/IT Analyst). I loved working with sailors, vets and contributing to their ability to keep us safe/come home. However, I am not an office job person and took a job as an HVAC laborer doing commercial cooling tower disinfection. Even doing the grunt work, I feel right at home.

I applied for an apprenticeship for my UA Locals Commercial Division and did very well on my Workkeys assessment. The last step is my interview in a couple weeks and Im really nervous about it.

If anyone has suggestions, tips, or anything else that could help me with the interview, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretm View Post
    Hey All!
    I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this, so mods feel free to move it.
    I was laid off during the pandemic and was able to get a part time job in my previous industry(DoD contractor, Cybersecurity/IT Analyst). I loved working with sailors, vets and contributing to their ability to keep us safe/come home. However, I am not an office job person and took a job as an HVAC laborer doing commercial cooling tower disinfection. Even doing the grunt work, I feel right at home.

I applied for an apprenticeship for my UA Local’s Commercial Division and did very well on my Workkeys assessment. The last step is my interview in a couple weeks and I’m really nervous about it.

If anyone has suggestions, tips, or anything else that could help me with the interview, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again!
    Good luck on the interview and congratulation.

NYC UA 638 retired.

Post Likes
    Don't be nervous. Liking the work indicates you are good at it so far. Be confident and the nerves will all but go away.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

4. Likes dieseldude liked this post.
    Post Likes
    This Profession is and always will be a life long learning experience. One day at a time. You fit in very well. The Best to you.

Since you are starting on Cooling Towers, I suggest you read up on what a Cooling is/does and how it functions. And for sure read up on Legionella Disease.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    This Profession is and always will be a life long learning experience. One day at a time. You fit in very well. The Best to you.

Since you are starting on Cooling Towers, I suggest you read up on what a Cooling is/does and how it functions. And for sure read up on Legionella Disease.
    Thanks for the kind words and advice!

A big draw for HVAC is how many different areas of practical knowledge you need to learn. Learning why and how things work is something i find fulfilling. As a high schooler, I fixed Xbox’s, iPods, and computers since I couldn’t afford to buy a new one. Hell, I put Linux on a laptop I bought in 2009 and it still works.

Even though it’s a small shop, they give us unlimited tykveks, respirator filters, insulated free chemical resistant and every 6 months steel toe calf/knee high “duck boots.” I had to get a respirator fit test done before I could even start. Thanks for the warning anyway, Before this job I think I heard of legionnaires from an episode of House lol.

I always try to ask questions and studying for my 608 universal has allowed me to recognize some of the machinery and how it connects to the chiller on the roof.

Post Likes
    Your employer is responsible for ALL PPE.

Even those steel toe boots

Post Likes
    My last facilities job I got 2 pair -40*F boots.

Love them black fishing.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    My last facilities job I got 2 pair -40*F boots.

Love them black fishing.
    Yea, because of OSHA requirements. I wasn’t very clear, I meant to convey that they give us quality PPE and don’t skimp on it. I worked in a few factories that did the absolute bare minimum.

On a side note, hey New Yorker! I lived in Brooklyn and queens for 4 years before moving to South Jersey close to Philly. UA 322 will hopefully be my local soon

Post Likes
    *deleted* getting to grips with the forum software
    Last edited by Bretm; 01-11-2022 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Double post

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretm View Post
    Yea, because of OSHA requirements. I wasn’t very clear, I meant to convey that they give us quality PPE and don’t skimp on it. I worked in a few factories that did the absolute bare minimum.

On a side note, hey New Yorker! I lived in Brooklyn and queens for 4 years before moving to South Jersey close to Philly. UA 322 will hopefully be my local soon
    Awesome

Post Likes
    I love me some brackfeesh pecmsg. Nothing like hopping a jig w a chunk of crab 😁

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by worldclasshvac View Post
    I love me some brackfeesh pecmsg. Nothing like hopping a jig w a chunk of crab 😁
    Hey man, Im not quite following you. I think you might have responded to the wrong thread by accident. It sounds like youre talking about saltwater fishing lol. Which if you are, do you ever fish from a kayak?