+ Reply to Thread

Thread: That FC9C changeout

Post Likes

That FC9C changeout

As per usual, I always get in a hurry and get no before pics. Here are the afters.

Now before you critique. This is a quick swap. I'm not responsible for some weird gas flex stuff on the furnace and/or water heater. I swapped the furnace, built a transition, wrapped the ducting properly, and brought the vent up to code (insulated). She is happy and I am happy to finally get this done for her.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

2. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Oh, and I know the drip leg is wrong. I fight the plumbers here all the time on it. Is what it is, I needed to get in and out on this one.

Post Likes
    Why does the flue pipe have to be insulated? I've never heard of that before.

I have heard of needing to insulate portions of exposed outdoor pvc flues that might have the possibility of freezing up during very cold weather, but insulating the indoor portion makes zero sense to me.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

5. Likes kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post

I have heard of needing to insulate portions of exposed outdoor pvc flues that might have the possibility of freezing up during very cold weather, but freezing the indoor portion makes zero sense to me.
    A garage is not indoors.

7. Likes Servicepro liked this post.
    Post Likes

I have heard of needing to insulate portions of exposed outdoor pvc flues that might have the possibility of freezing up during very cold weather, but freezing the indoor portion makes zero sense to me.
    It looks purty
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Adlerberts-Protege View Post
    A garage is not indoors.
    Interesting. What about the secondary heat exchanger & condensate trap, and/or the drain piping? Or the entire water heater and water piping for that matter. I'm from Minnesota. Installing stuff like that in an un-conditioned space makes no sense to me. Or is that (does it need to be) a heated garage?
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    Interesting. What about the secondary heat exchanger & condensate trap, and/or the drain piping? Or the entire water heater and water piping for that matter. I'm from Minnesota. Installing stuff like that in an un-conditioned space makes no sense to me. Or is that (does it need to be) a heated garage?
    I do like to insulate the drain normally, but there is no external trap and it exits into a trap inside the utility room. She had it piped this way the previous 12 years in subzero temps multiple times without any issues. I will go with it. Thanks for the comments.

Post Likes
    Is this a common place to have systems in your area? We see 80% furnaces in garages here once in a great while, but never see a water heater in a garage here. But we do see a lot of condos and apartments where they have a little room built off of the back patio or deck, door opening outside so the tenant has no access, with the furnace installed, then the darn water heater installed right in front of it. So that to change a blower, they have to remove the stupid water heater first!
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

Post Likes
    We have to provide a vent on the condensate drain so pressure from the coil does not cause furnace condensate to drain slowly and trip a pressure switch. It’s not always a problem but it happens often enough that we just vent it to prevent the issue.

Your work looks good but the plumbers should be ashamed.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    Well you already mentioned everything I was going to critique 😃

Post Likes
    This was another Saturday job . I tend to not do my "best" stuff on Saturdays . System has been working well for the customer, better than that crappy York mod that was there before. POS's.

15. Likes Wheelbaron liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in