+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TACO Self Sensing Pro Balance

Post Likes

TACO Self Sensing Pro Balance

Anyone have any experience with TACO Self Sensing Pumps, namely the Pro Balance feature? Marketing fluff/brochures say it eliminates balancing for the secondary/variable flow system. From what I can tell, you have to define a duty point and establish a control curve (that represents system resistance) and the Pro Balance algorithm supposedly finds a "true" system resistance. It's vary unclear of how this works and what's really unclear is how this eliminates balancing all together.

I was wondering if any T&B folks have worked with this pump system yet.

Post Likes
    If you're lucky @ Wayne will chime in being his specialty. 😉

Post Likes
    I have worked with a lot of Taco pumps etc. but not familiar with this one. Having said that there are ways the pump can be feed enough info to control total flow but the system is not self balancing. To self balance every coil needs the controls to balance it.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    I wonder if it's similar to ECM motors overcoming static.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    2 cents....

I didn't do any real research, but from what I've found, it's pretty simple. It appears to be a self contained pump and drive unit.

Likely carries an onboard pressure sensor to control the drive to a setpoint.

Kinda like a first cousin to a full blown primary variable.

This still would not eliminate the need to balance the field.

Unless the engineering and install were perfect.

Post Likes
    Bell gosset has a similar product.

We talked about it in a balance class. The instructor said he contacted Bell Gosset about how it works.

What they told him was essentially its monitoring the horsepower via very closely monitored amperage.

The amperage was either calculated, or otherwise added to the pumps design curve. More amps, more flow.

As far as how to set it, I could not say. Never worked with either one.

This was a few years back. But from my experience, anything like this, never works as intended. Either cause its never really set up right, or a design flaw, or a combination of the 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    These systems can work well but are often not set up (calibrated) properly. I balanced a courthouse several years back that had never worked right since installed. I was called to balance it after the second or third attempt to redesign and make it work right. The first problem I had was the engineer tried to tell me how to do part of the balance. He got upset when I told him I was going to balance my way and pointed out a major design error he made. I explained why the controls didn't work properly and that the pump current draw should be the same on all the pumps that were running but wasn't. The top dog was a lady with some brains and had the contractor modify the screwup my way and the system worked perfectly.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

8. Likes heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Armstrong sensorless work?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in