Thread: Anyone know what this jumper is for

Post Likes

Anyone know what this jumper is for

On a call for a Carrier 58DHC110 furnace, had to replace the circuit board, and found a used one that had this strange jumper on it. I know the red jumper is the delay time selection, but the other white jumper is from one of the test terminals to one of the delay terminals??? I know you can test the system by shorting the two test terminals and it will put the system through a cycle of running each component for a few seconds, then return to normal operation. I just have no idea what the other jumper is for, as the original board did not have it at all. The furnace runs fine with it as is.

http://pages.suddenlink.net/bchannell/carrier.jpg

Post Likes
    I think it’s just parked there…not saying that’s correct though
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    The way those circuits work you could in theory do that with the white jumper without affecting anything. I’m a little tied up right now but will try and elaborate later.

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by channellxbob View Post
    I just have no idea what the other jumper is for, as the original board did not have it at all. The furnace runs fine with it as is.
    Looks to be just an easy way to short the test pins if you don't want to pull your screw driver out of your tool bag.

The follow on control board to this one (CESO110057-02), had one "Test/Twin" terminal with a short piece of wire that was suppose to be shorted to 24v common terminal to start the test sequence.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Post Likes
    Ok so most of the time these circuits work by sending out a logic voltage and the pins will pull it down by different amounts. Design wise I would expect test pin 1 to be source and test pin 2 to be ground. Now since the max blower delay is also probably ground, a jumper from test 2 to max blower delay would just be connecting ground to ground. This of course is all theoretical. I’d need the board to actually know for sure what’s going on.

If you want to know a little more about how these circuits work I did a video on how to trick a meter where I explain it. I did make a stupid error in explaining it but fixed it in the pinned comment.