Thread: Filters..

Post Likes

Filters..

I live in the woods..(pine trees), our hvac filter getís really dirty fast..Iím assuming itís pollen.
    Should I replace it once a month with a cheap filter or should I go with the spendy filter and replace
    It once a month??
    Let's give nukes a chance.

Post Likes
    How thick is your filter now? If itís only 1Ē then just stick to the cheep filters. Most often the system is not designed for high MERV 1Ē filters, installing one often leads to more problems than solutions.
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes
    1” but I put two of them in..Ok that’s what I’ll do use the cheap ones...

Post Likes
    Not sure what quality your cheep filters are but you may be better off going with a pleated 2Ē filter (MERV 8 or less). You would probably be creating less resistance than double stacking two cheep pleated or foam filters together.

If they are hog hair filters then you should upgrade from those if you have an evaporator coil in your unit, or high efficiency gas unit.

It should be said, I am only making an assumption based on a majority of units out there. I donít know the specifics of your unit and components so I canít say for sure what filter would be best. All I can do is guess. I could very well be wrong in my assumption.

Post Likes
    Stop burning candles

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

6. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Lots of stuff can accelerate how fast filters get dirty. Not all causes are a bad thing either. Stuff like leaving windows open for fresh air, having animals, carpet, lots of people or company, nearby constructionÖ etc.

Smoking and candles or incense can cause the filter to discolour.

Often you can get by with only replacing them when they start impeding the airflow or causing odours. Special instruments are needed if you want to run them right to the manufactures limits for that unit. It would be listed in the manual. But it sounds like you have a good idea when it needs to be replaced already so keep doing what you are doing and error on the side of caution.

Allergies or select other illnesses can cause a need for more frequent changes.

8. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by primmers View Post
    I live in the woods..(pine trees), our hvac filter get’s really dirty fast..I’m assuming it’s pollen.
    Should I replace it once a month with a cheap filter or should I go with the spendy filter and replace
    It once a month??
    Do you have a dirt driveway ?

If I were you ..... I'd install a 4 inch filter or 5 inch

Post Likes
    I don’t burn candles

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    Do you have a dirt driveway ?

If I were you ..... I'd install a 4 inch filter or 5 inch
    Iím my house I run with a 5 inch filter frame so I can use a 4Ē filter and to block the rocks and boulders from fouling the expensive filter too quickly I use the cheapest POS filter in front of it and replace that one regularly.

Not to be confused with a cheep 1Ē pleated filter, although those are POS too they are not what I was referring to. Iím talking about the ones that you can look through and tell that your wife is missing a diamond on her wedding ring. The ones designed to catch hair and thatís about it. They make good pre filters because they donít add too much restriction, unless you let them build up with too much dirt, but that would never happen

Together they add up to 5Ē thick and fit the frame quite nicely. It works well and is cheeper than two separate filter racks.

Post Likes
    Hmm .... thats a good idea

Post Likes
    Why is there so much pollen in your house? That may indicate you need to tighten the house.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Site member map HERE!