Thread: How to start Hvac business in Wisconsin

Post Likes

How to start Hvac business in Wisconsin

I've been working for an Hvac company in Wisconsin for 22 years, and am thinking about starting my own company. I have most of the tools I would need, I've been buying my own tools for years, and I'm going to be receiving an inherentance that would pay for a truck, parts, advertising, etc. Does anyone know what licensing I would need to start a business? The only thing I found online is an Hvac Contractor License or an Hvac Qualifiers license. Do I need both or either one? Is that all I need to start a business?
    Just need to know what I need to be legal in the State of WI.
    Last edited by MoBrewing; 10-26-2021 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Add more info

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Maybe this also? Page 20

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...UnfVXwm9bPtqsz

Curious, doing what? Refrigeration, Heat Pumps, Gas Heat, Air Conditioning, Sheet Metal, Oil Heat, Electric Air Handlers, Restaurant equipment, Installs, Services, etc.

Post Likes
    PM's, repairs, installation of Gas Furnaces, Boilers, Heat pumps, AC's, and ductless mini splits. Mostly residential some light commercial.

Post Likes
    Clicked on that link, it says to download. I click download and nothing happens.

Post Likes
    There’s a phone number to call, thinking Department of Consumer Protection Trades can give you direction.

Post Likes
    You need an HVAC contractors license. There is no state required personal licensing in Wiscosin for HVAC or refrigeration anymore. The refrigeration license went away a few years ago under Scott Walker.

The HVAC Qualifier is required by a few cities, Eau Claire I believe, and possibly Madison. Ive never worked anywhere where its required. I did have a friend who got his HVAC Qualifier and he said it was a difficult test.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joe View Post
    Theres a phone number to call, thinking Department of Consumer Protection Trades can give you direction.
    Almost.. would be the DSPS (Department of Safety and Professional Services)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joab View Post
    Almost.. would be the DSPS (Department of Safety and Professional Services)
    As Maxwell Smart would say in this situation…..

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...8aNWJYcKSHImks

In my state licensing is under the Consumer Protection Agency.

10. Likes Joab liked this post.
    Post Likes
    You need an HVAC contractors license. There is no state required personal licensing in Wiscosin for HVAC or refrigeration anymore. The refrigeration license went away a few years ago under Scott Walker.

The HVAC Qualifier is required by a few cities, Eau Claire I believe, and possibly Madison. Ive never worked anywhere where its required. I did have a friend who got his HVAC Qualifier and he said it was a difficult test.
    Waukesha also requires it. I think the test is easier now, but when I took it, there wasn't enough time to get it done. I failed it the first time I took it. For reference, I passed the test for the Designer stamp with a 96%!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MoBrewing View Post
    I've been working for an Hvac company in Wisconsin for 22 years, and am thinking about starting my own company. I have most of the tools I would need, I've been buying my own tools for years, and I'm going to be receiving an inherentance that would pay for a truck, parts, advertising, etc. Does anyone know what licensing I would need to start a business? The only thing I found online is an Hvac Contractor License or an Hvac Qualifiers license. Do I need both or either one? Is that all I need to start a business?
    Just need to know what I need to be legal in the State of WI.
    You need the contractor registration and a seller's permit I believe. Then call your insurance company and buy lots of insurance, lol. If you do work for general contractors, you will probably need work comp even if you are a one man band, but they'll give you most of your money back at the end of the year

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DesMech View Post
    Waukesha also requires it. I think the test is easier now, but when I took it, there wasn't enough time to get it done. I failed it the first time I took it. For reference, I passed the test for the Designer stamp with a 96%!
    What experience requirements did you need to sit for your designers? Ive considered sitting for it on and off for several years.

Post Likes
    I'm glad your going off on your own. I started my own business 11 years ago and it was the best decision I ever made

Post Likes
    What experience requirements did you need to sit for your designers? I’ve considered sitting for it on and off for several years.
    It's been awhile, but I think you need another designer or engineer to sign off that you have experience, and then you can take the test. I worked with an engineer from a supply house a lot, and he signed off for me.