Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Factory trained

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ehsx View Post
    I must have been special, in ‘72 I started at $4.50
    Ten years after that I started for $5 hour. Essentially, I had to underbid all of the other techs with no experience.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    Post Likes
    I don't know the pay scale there where you are but I guy I know had that problem: he needed to pay fines and surcharges to get his license back. He hired a friend of his as his driver and split his pay with the guy who drove him around.

Some years later that same guy was out on his own and managed to get a non-moving DUI in his personal vehicle. He hired the same guy to drive him around in his company truck for at least a year. <g>

Another option for you would be to take a stationary HVAC job: hospital, school system, industry, etc. Make it somewhere you can walk to or use public transportation.

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by RandallJ. View Post
    So I'm looking for work but my options are limited as I dont have a driving lisence or car and live on the outskirts of a large city. One place I found nearby has stuff on their van about "factory trained" with carrier. Was wondering what exactly this meant? Do they only service carrier?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of Thinking

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ehsx View Post
    I must have been special, in 72 I started at $4.50
    LOL, obviously YOU were worth it, I wasn't.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    Post Likes
    I have a question for you Randall:

You say you are not interested in what the man said to you. But you obviously Are interested because you keep responding to it. How can you expect to have it both ways? <g>

The problem is you: just put your hands down and walk away and the fight never happens. <g>

PHM
    --------

Please stop wasting my time. You're not going to tell me to act like an adult and then say you gave good advice.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Have two or three 'friends' send you certified mail to the address you want to prove - that you have to sign for. That's proof of residence in any US court.

PHM
    --------

Its for proof of residence. The way my situation is at the moment I don't have any other stuff they need like bank statements or utility bill or anything like that. I need to just redo the interlock. They didn't give me an interlock lisence when I got one installed 11+ years ago. So it just magically doesn't count. So my options are to redo the interlock and get an interlock lisence, or try walking to nearby shops and see if they can put me to work for at least 2 weeks for the pay stubs for proof of residence.
    PHM
    --------

6. Likes BBeerme liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Any prison time to go along with the DUI loss-of-license ?

In contrast to your opinion - this may be the Best time to get hired without experience. <g>

And how can you have zero experience? What have you been doing for the last ten or twenty years? Unless it was sleeping you can generally find a way to spin it into 'experience'. Most of successfully having a job is life-skills - not so much strictly job skills.

PHM
    --------

Damn, what a pain. I guess all I can do is all I can do. Probably will end up getting the interlock lisence and maybe maintenance. I don't think its very likely to get hired with no experience what so ever. Even though I'm sure I can rough it through the learning phase on my own and be able to maintain at least an apartment complex. Its just really having the tools. I can figure the rest of the service stuff out by trial and error.

Or install if it means I dont have to drive a company vehicle.

Really bums me out sometimes when I tried like hell to get out of the rut I've been in to just have stuff like this come back and bite me.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    I've always said that a rut is a grave that you've kicked the ends out of.

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    This reminds me of a joke, sorta.

What is the difference between a rut and a grave?

5.5 feet!!!

You may be in a rut but you are not in a grave yet. Keep working hard, don't get down on yourself and find someone to hold you responsible so when you slip you have a hand to get you back on track. Nothing worth while is easy. I think most on this site will tell you HVAC is worth while, but it won't be easy. Grow a think skin and come back here when you have questions. We can be tough on a guy but we can also offer good and divers advice which is never a bad thing.

Good luck!
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    LOL, obviously YOU were worth it, I wasn't.
    First job out of hs was at nuclear power plant construction, turbine crew, millwright apprentice. 3.5 years later York Factory services @ $6.55, two years later union scale foreman for York @ Savanah River Plant, nuclear r&d.
    Was a ball buster back then.

Post Likes
    I made quite a bit more money per hour at age 12-18 than I did in my early 20's on my first HVAC job.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I have a question for you Randall:

You say you are not interested in what the man said to you. But you obviously Are interested because you keep responding to it. How can you expect to have it both ways? <g>

The problem is you: just put your hands down and walk away and the fight never happens. <g>

PHM
    --------
    The problem is that he isn't acting like an adult. Using the excuse of not working because you can't prove residence is very juvenile. I have a 12 year old niece that can figure that one out.
    "Life, Liberty, and Levin!"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234