+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Natural gas cooling unit for off-grid hunting

Post Likes

Natural gas cooling unit for off-grid hunting

I've been looking online for a refrigeration unit to build an off-grid butcher shop. Everything I've found is electric only. The hunting property I own has free natural gas and I'd like to use that to run my refrigeration. I know some companies offer gas fridge/freezers but I can't find anything large-scale. Does anyone know of a company that produces this or would it have to be custom built?

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    How about a natural gas generator running traditional equipment?
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    I've thought of that. My original plan was to have all electric appliances being fed by a generator and only needing a chest freezer and refrigerator to be gas powered. My only concern would be if the generator shuts down I'll lose all power to the cooler and appliances.

Post Likes
    Natural gas powered refrigerators are a very rare thing. If you were to find anything bigger than your typical motor-home/RV refrigerator it would probably cost ALOT of money.

If you're worried about the generator breaking, get 2 generators. Hook the 2nd one up to an automatic transfer switch so it only comes on if the first one fails.

Either that, or wire up an alarm to send you a message if your fridge starts getting warm.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

5. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Lehman hardware in Ohio sells gas and kerosene chest freezers and refrigerators. Supplies the Amish community.
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

7. Likes R600a, ksefan liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in