+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HVAC-Talk search feature

Post Likes

HVAC-Talk search feature

It seems whenever I search for a topic of interest, I get a lot of diatribes political in nature and rarely information on the specific items I searched for. When I do the same search in google, I'll get hits from many sites, Reddit and so forth, but I'll also get HVAC-Talk hits that are very relevant. Is the Local search feature on HVAC-Talk bad or am I doing something wrong?

Post Likes
    I find it to be completely worthless.
    If by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people-their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights and their civil liberties-someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal", then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal.”
    ― John F. Kennedy

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    It works fine for me but usually I'm looking for specific threads not just topics.
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    It is bad.

Search by typing “your query site:hvac-talk.com” in google
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    The search feature has it's problems, likely from 20 years of database crashes. Only so much we can do with it.

Post Likes
    You can do a site search on DDG and google. In example, if you're looking for posts pertaining to R410a:

site:hvac-talk.com R410a.

Unfortunately, the google/DDG site search function won't search the pro forums.

When I use the H-Talk search function, I select the "search titles only' option in the drop down list next to the Keyword(s) field. Unfortunately, the results aren't sorted by date (I'm not sure how they're sorted). I also use firefox's 'find on page' feature to speed things along.

Post Likes
    Yes, it really is a weak part of the site.

Hurst11 is offline Professional Member/Membership Committee
    Post Likes
    I find it doesn’t work very well either but when I’m looking for something I’ll do this for example in google search, Igniter resistance hvactalk and click search and it’ll bring up lots of stuff from this site and I start going through them. Works very well for me that way.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    Typically they are apparently sorted by least relevance first. <g>

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by vin lashon View Post
    You can do a site search on DDG and google. In example, if you're looking for posts pertaining to R410a:

site:hvac-talk.com R410a.

Unfortunately, the google/DDG site search function won't search the pro forums.

When I use the H-Talk search function, I select the "search titles only' option in the drop down list next to the Keyword(s) field. Unfortunately, the results aren't sorted by date (I'm not sure how they're sorted). I also use firefox's 'find on page' feature to speed things along.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

10. Likes R600a, vin lashon, crazzycajun liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in