Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New recommended system vs old system: looking for your expertise

Post Likes

New recommended system vs old system: looking for your expertise

Hi guys, i'm replacing my current coil and air handler set up as my current evap coil just went and I require a new one.

Here is the situation: old broken system was all mismatched and a bit of a Frankenstein set up.

3 ton Lennox XP-14 HP with 4 ton York Evap Coil and 3.5 ton York Blower. System is 12 years old. It has leaked 3 times so far and just recently the new contractor says the evap coil is done. (seems premature to be done already)

New recommended set-up: Keep the 3 ton Lennox XP-14 HP (compressor working fine) and replace the rest with a Lennox 3 Ton CBA27UHE Air Handler/new coil with Electric Strips Aux heat.

Contractor says no point in replacing HP since it's working fine. Replace the rest and put in matched system (3 ton condenser, 3 ton evap coil and 3 ton blower). Says it will dehumidify better and will be a quieter blower because other was oversized for house.

1st Question: what would cause my evap coil to go in 12 years ? Seems premature. Just bad luck ?

2nd Question: Do the benefits off this new recommended set-up makes sense to you ? Better dehumidification vs the old mismatched set up ? Old contractor said oversized coil was more efficient and better dehumidification. New contractor agrees with efficiency claims but says complete opposite in terms of dehumidification and comfort. Says matched coil will dehumidify better because colder coil and also lower fan speed of 3 ton blower.

3rd question: Do I need to replace Lennox XP-14 HP as well ? Or no problem keeping it and integrating new coil and AH into system.

Looking for your expertise here. Thanks very much in advance !

2. Likes AdamStanley liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Replace everything!

Post Likes
    Heat Pump as well ? Can you help me understand ?

Post Likes
    For peek efficiency all components need to be matched.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris99 View Post
    Heat Pump as well ? Can you help me understand ?
    Because you will hate it in 3 months when the heat pump dies and need to replace it.

Do it all at once and get a proper matched system with a warranty.

Is the old system R-22 or 410A? If 22 then ABSOLUTELY no question but to do it all now.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    R-410 installed in 2009 - so only 12 years ago. Do you agree with the benefits of the matched system versus the mismatched system ?

Post Likes
    Also, it will be matched because the HP is a Lennox 3 ton - so everything will be 3 ton

Post Likes
    Lennox Lennox
    Goodman Goodman

Post Likes
    Yes I agree but that is what the new system will be after replacing the Air Handler and Coil to a Lennox CBA27UHE - my current HP is a 3 ton Lennox XP-14 with R-410. My main question is do I need to replace HP now as well ? It's 12 years old and was working perfectly before the York mismatched evap coil went (4 ton coil). So now replacing indoor units to Lennox 3 ton matches.

Post Likes
    Matched system or Frankenstein.
    All components need to be matched.

Post Likes
    Am I to understand that the 2009 Lennox XP-14 3 ton HP will not match well with a 2021 3 ton Lennox Quantum Coil ? It that what you are saying ?

Post Likes
    Am I to understand that the 2009 Lennox XP-14 3 ton HP will not match well with a 2021 3 ton Lennox Quantum Coil ? It that what you are saying ?
    Exactly!

Post Likes
    Ok, weird that the Lennox dealer did not recommend a new HP as well ? He seemed to agree with me that it was fine to keep. In terms of the matched system being all 3 ton. Are there real benefits versus a differently sized system within the Lennox family ? Like a 3 ton HP with 3.5 ton coil and blower ? Better dehumidification when all sized the same 3 ton ?

Post Likes
    Questions to ask your dealer:

What is the expected life of a heat pump?

Is the system going to be AHRI matched with the old unit?

What does Lennox list as matched indoor equipment for the old unit?

What warranty does the old/new system have versus a completely new system?

After he answers these questions it should make the decision even more clear/easy(new of course).
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Your unit is 12 years old. Has run short of refrigerant 3 times, each time taking more life out of it. Average life of a "System" is 10 - 15 years.

Fairfield and NewHaven Counties in Commecticut
    Post Likes
    I would think of that compressor has been running with lower refrigerant charge that the compressor is suffered severe oil degradation and has been running very hot. I would dump the compressor it is bound to fail soon. Life expectancy of a heat pump in Connecticut area is 12 to 15 years.

Sent from my motorola razr (2020) using Tapatalk
    Quality and Value Service and Repair

Fairfield and NewHaven Counties in Commecticut
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Your unit is 12 years old. Has run short of refrigerant 3 times, each time taking more life out of it. Average life of a "System" is 10 - 15 years.
    I agree

Sent from my motorola razr (2020) using Tapatalk
    Quality and Value Service and Repair

Post Likes
    Guys on the internet here won't know. Find someone you trust and look them in the eye. Tired of these posts.

Post Likes
    Hi guys, i'm replacing my current coil and air handler set up as my current evap coil just went and I require a new one.

Here is the situation: old broken system was all mismatched and a bit of a Frankenstein set up.

3 ton Lennox XP-14 HP with 4 ton York Evap Coil and 3.5 ton York Blower. System is 12 years old. It has leaked 3 times so far and just recently the new contractor says the evap coil is done. (seems premature to be done already)

New recommended set-up: Keep the 3 ton Lennox XP-14 HP (compressor working fine) and replace the rest with a Lennox 3 Ton CBA27UHE Air Handler/new coil with Electric Strips Aux heat.

Contractor says no point in replacing HP since it's working fine. Replace the rest and put in matched system (3 ton condenser, 3 ton evap coil and 3 ton blower). Says it will dehumidify better and will be a quieter blower because other was oversized for house.

1st Question: what would cause my evap coil to go in 12 years ? Could be lack of fresh air ventilation and build-up of indoor pollutants like H2S/Cl2. Seems premature. Just bad luck ?

2nd Question: Do the benefits off this new recommended set-up makes sense to you ? Better dehumidification vs the old mismatched set up ? Old contractor said oversized coil was more efficient and better dehumidification. New contractor agrees with efficiency claims but says complete opposite in terms of dehumidification and comfort. Says matched coil will dehumidify better because colder coil and also lower fan speed of 3 ton blower. -Biggy

3rd question: Do I need to replace Lennox XP-14 HP as well ? Or no problem keeping it and integrating new coil and AH into system.

Looking for your expertise here. Thanks very much in advance !
    The only negative about the larger coil is more moisture retention at the end of the cooling cycle. When cooling, by adjust the air flow correctly to get the desired dew point from the coil, (slower air flow removed more moisture while having higher suction pressure).

Incorporate a fresh air change in 4-5 hours and a 4 lbs. of dehumidification by adding a small whole house dehumidifier, like A Santa Fe ULTRA with fresh filtered air option. Mainly for the 3 mild seasons of the year when the winds do not blow.

Your thoughts?

Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Thanks very much for the great feedback !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in