Thread: Root Causing Tri-level Home Heat Issue

Post Likes

Root Causing Tri-level Home Heat Issue

I have a tri-level home with a sub basement.
    -Floor 3 (top floor with bedrooms) sits over Floor 1 (garage, family room, laundry & HVAC).
    -Floor 2 (living room, kitchen and dining room) sits over the sub basement.

HVAC has 2 distribution trunks (A, B), with no trunk dampening but has necessary HVAC returns on Floor 1, 2 & 3.
    Trunk A feeds floor 3 (4 bedrooms) and some floor 1 space (laundry room, bathroom) next to the HVAC unit via 6” takeoffs.
    Trunk B drops down into the basement and feeds Floor 2 with several 6” takeoffs and one 8” takeoff that circles back into the slab for Floor 1 family room which has 3 registers in series.

All registers work well except the 8” takeoff that feeds 3 registers in the Floor 1 family room slab. The registers in the slab are useless. I have looked inside and found no blockage. Not sure what the problem is? All other 6” takeoffs from that same trunk have good airflow.

I understand the chimney effect in a tri-level, being on a slab and two exterior wall makes the family room cold.... but I hardly get any heat from the 3 registers in series coming from the only 8" takeoff in the entire system

Post Likes
    Tri levels are the hardest.
    Static pressure tests to see what the ducts can handle.
    Maybe a small mini for the basement.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in