Thread: Waterfurnace DHW Hot/Cold

Post Likes

Waterfurnace DHW Hot/Cold

Hi, I have a WaterFurnace geo unit and have a question regarding the DHW system. When the DHW system is turned on the cold side line from the "T" at the water heater becomes extremely hot and the return line to the bottom of the hot water tank from the geo unit is warm at best. Shouldn't the water going to the geo unit be cold water and the water returning from the geo unit be warm? What could be causing this? The way I am understanding this is that the hot water heater is actually working against the geo unit due to the water that is returning to the hot water heater being cooler than when it left. Thank you!

Post Likes
    Could be piped backwards, or your pump is running when it's not supposed to.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    You need to have an unpowered buffer tank installed between the geo unit and the powered water heater to get significant benefit from the DHW output. This also stops the WH from working against the DHW output.

This is especially true in summer, as your geo's DHW output might not get above 85-90 degrees, as is the case here on the east coast.

4. Likes ksefan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by polarisfctyrcr1 View Post
    Hi, I have a WaterFurnace geo unit and have a question regarding the DHW system. When the DHW system is turned on the cold side line from the "T" at the water heater becomes extremely hot and the return line to the bottom of the hot water tank from the geo unit is warm at best. Shouldn't the water going to the geo unit be cold water and the water returning from the geo unit be warm? What could be causing this? The way I am understanding this is that the hot water heater is actually working against the geo unit due to the water that is returning to the hot water heater being cooler than when it left. Thank you!
    I am not sure what your problem is but a buffer tank is needed to work right. I have seen my unit for an air lock when the water co was fixing a leak. Its like an air bubble gets in the way. I run the hot water at the tap while opening and closing the water valves between the tank and geo unit and it clears it.