+ Reply to Thread

Thread: YCAV0157 Motor current overload

Post Likes

Confused YCAV0157 Motor current overload

York YCAV unit, stuck in Motor current overload. Cannot get unit to reset from control panel. Tried powering down system, but instantly returns on power up. Help !!

Post Likes
    With compressors off does your motor current display read 0?
    Have the motor overload pots on the logic board been adjusted/played with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Bc guy. Not sure on readings not onsite now. Don’t believe pots have been touched

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab26 View Post
    York YCAV unit, stuck in Motor current overload. Cannot get unit to reset from control panel. Tried powering down system, but instantly returns on power up. Help !!
    Just to clear it up… have you gone into system switches and set to reset?
    These chillers do not respond to a power cycle. The codes from previous will be saved.
    It won’t go into alarm unless the CKT tries to run

Post Likes
    Iamwildbill
    Yes I tried the standard reset method but could not clear alarm which I found odd. Did some reading and realized the battery back up on powering down unit.

Post Likes
    When you return go to your history tab and compare what that compressor was pulling vs RLA. See if compressor was actually over RLA. Also check whether RLA during alarm was different than RLA at idle.

Alarm should reset in system switches. Find system, scroll to reset, hit ENTER, then scroll back to on, hit ENTER. This is a super common alarm, never seen one not reset

Post Likes
    That’s why I’m stumped. Never had panel lock me out. I did check history and wrote notes but it’s onsite

Post Likes
    That’s why I’m stumped. Never had panel lock me out. I did check history and wrote notes but it’s onsite

Finally back at chiller site. Winters are long here !
    Condition still exists. Motor current overload. Have tried system switch resets but it does not change status.
    Fault history shows a unit single phase input fault. Wondering what that might trigger downstream.
    Have checked voltages and all fuses. VSD has input power but power and fault leds are not lit. RCV led. Blinks as doesXMT led.

Post Likes
    Finally back at chiller site. Winters are long here !
    Condition still exists. Motor current overload. Have tried system switch resets but it does not change status.
    Fault history shows a unit single phase input fault. Wondering what that might trigger downstream.
    Have checked voltages and all fuses. VSD has input power but power and fault leds are not lit. RCV led. Blinks as doesXMT led.

Also have noticed. 105% cur led is lit

Post Likes
    Check bleed resistors, if it shows voltage after shunt down it throws alarm. Use a wiggy meter to discharge voltage and it should reset

Post Likes
    there are 2 likely causes for this issue.

1. the logic board has failed in some way. try turning the 105% current pot just a turn or two...the pot may have a dead spot in it.
    2. one or more of the CT's has failed. ohm out the CT's.

my money is on the Logic Board. what is the Logic Board part number? begins with 031... i did not see anything related to this in the software bulletins.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

12. Likes Lab26 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    there are 2 likely causes for this issue.

1. the logic board has failed in some way. try turning the 105% current pot just a turn or two...the pot may have a dead spot in it.
    2. one or more of the CT's has failed. ohm out the CT's.

my money is on the Logic Board. what is the Logic Board part number? begins with 031... i did not see anything related to this in the software bulletins.
    When you say a turn or two...is there a detent or are these actual full turns??

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I have one of these with this fault. When I rang out my CTs I had around 90 on all 3 which is low per the spec. Out of curiosity I rang out the next circuit which is running and they are similar. I will likely recommend replacing them but I hesitate to determine them as my main fault. When I go back I am panning on switching compressor leads at the IGBTs and try to determine if it is in the compressor or LCD. My compressor has megged fine.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by motojo646 View Post
    When you say a turn or two...is there a detent or are these actual full turns??....
    actual full turns, there are no detents. you may want to check the CT plug for loose connections and especially the jumpers on the same plug as that is how the Logic Board determines which compressor is being monitored as well as the compressor size.

the odd part is that it trips at power up instead of when it is running. that is why i suspect a faulty logic board.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    actual full turns, there are no detents. you may want to check the CT plug for loose connections and especially the jumpers on the same plug as that is how the Logic Board determines which compressor is being monitored as well as the compressor size.

the odd part is that it trips at power up instead of when it is running. that is why i suspect a faulty logic board.
    That is the case with mine as well and it has me leaning towards the logic as well. Mine begins the start sequence but trips instantly one the compressor is energized. First impression for me was locked rotor, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I have worked through the troubleshooting steps and have my manager coming to assist next week. Thanks for the info and Sorry to the OP for the short term hijack.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in