+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HVAC Controls and Low Voltage Wiring License

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianOmarPerez View Post
    In New Mexico, I think you get one License No., and as many Certificates/Classifications as you pass the tests for. I believe you are only required to display the License No., but you are supposed to carry the paperwork for all Certs/Classifications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Our State license is also two parts. The license holder (administrator) and the qualifying party who has a license in their specialty.
    In my case I was both.
    Before licensing became what it is now, we all that have the miles know what was happening especially with resi.
    I also know things can get out of hand. Example: A home owner in NM can't legally run duct work but can get a homeowner license to run electric or build a house. NM follows the NEC but with 4 pages of exceptions.
    Passing the mechanical license was very difficult. Two parts, business and the mechanical.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    4 Licenses?! Is that also 4 Permits?

Out here, “a Resi HVAC - what’s that?”.

It depends on which city. If the job is outside the city you'll need a Class B electrical permit, and a mechanical permit. If it's in the city you'll need 3 permits if there's refrigeration. The best part is when the inspector shows up he often has no idea what he's even looking at.

Post Likes
    Was left like that for a week. It even rained over that weekend. Another guy went to finish it off. And even like that, the unit is 1/2”-1” crooked on the pitch. The HVACR trade(s) have taken a beating, but this is beyond ridiculousness.

Sneezed at 5 pm on a Friday. Unhooked and went home.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    What's worse, having an electrician that did 4 or 5 year apprenticeship or an electrician with no schooling at all.
    Remember it wasn't the Union that wrote the regs, it was the State. The Union offers drug tested qualified journeymen.
    Something that's badly needed.
    A electrical contractor with a license can have employees with no training at all. The employees ride the contractor's license. A dangerous loophole.
    At least that's not legal here, and it's enforced. All tradespeople need their own licence, the company usually needs a separate licence. No permits needed for straight re and re here.

Post Likes

HVAC Controls and Low Voltage Wiring License

Kind of how R600a said, Mechanical (HVACR), Electrical, and Plumbing should be all that’s required for the MEP’s and complete Install Resi shops. An HVACR License should cover all Mechanical, tie-in to existing line voltage (if previously adequately installed), and tie-in to existing condensate drain/drain line (if previously adequately installed). One permit, one inspection.

6. Likes supers_5 liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in