+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oil tank repair

Post Likes

Oil tank repair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Guy was a body man at a repair shop?

AND in a basement I presume... Flame on!
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Post Likes
    50 year old tank. Now when it fails, he probably will be fully responsible for the cost of clean up.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Helpful Calcs, tips, tricks on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgm...TUTAdKmqRiTDEg

4. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Southerner here. Is something wrong with that?
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    I've never understood why oil tanks don't have a sump drain. They are installed with a tilt to the rear so that all the water and sediment settles away from the outlet. Eventually, however, it will build up enough to start collecting in and clogging the filter. This probably doesn't take too long for a tank situated outside or where there is a lot of temperature change causing condensation inside the tank. Just like in diesel fuel, the water causes "slime" growth which further clogs the filter, not to mention rotting out the bottom of the tank. It's pretty ugly when the weakened tank busts and fills up your basement with a few hundred gallons of stinky oil.

8. Likes Juan Madera liked this post.
    Post Likes
    They did a good job , its not dripping ....

Post Likes
    Now let's wait and see what happens when they fill it 🤔

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Viewsaver View Post
    I've never understood why oil tanks don't have a sump drain. They are installed with a tilt to the rear so that all the water and sediment settles away from the outlet....
    Then they weren't installed properly. By code they are to be installed 1/4" per foot fall toward the drain. The one pictured with the side outlet, and the end seamed hasn't been made since the late 70's simply because the seam fails and the outlet on the side is the weakest part of the entire tank.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Helpful Calcs, tips, tricks on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgm...TUTAdKmqRiTDEg

12. Likes Viewsaver liked this post.
    Post Likes
    When I first got involved in hvac I saw a gut cut up an oil tank with a cutting torch. I expected a fire but it didn't lite up.
    Thinking about the first guy that tried that. "I wonder what would happen if I took my torch and..........".
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

14. Likes R600a liked this post.
    R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    When I first got involved in hvac I saw a gut cut up an oil tank with a cutting torch. I expected a fire but it didn't lite up.
    Thinking about the first guy that tried that. "I wonder what would happen if I took my torch and..........".
    It was probably somebody like me who tried it first and thought hey that'll make a cool boom and was sorely disappointed.
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    They cut them long ways, burn them out, make grills out of them. Probably don't want the first dozen bbq'd items off them.

17. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVEusaPA View Post
    They cut them long ways, burn them out, make grills out of them. Probably don't want the first dozen bbq'd items off them.
    They can hold the whole hog.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    some farmers cut them open for cattle feeders.

some one near here was scrappin a large gasoline tank, wasn't dry enough, people heard the explosion nearly two miles away.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

20. Likes STEVEusaPA liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by billygoat22 View Post
    some farmers cut them open for cattle feeders.

some one near here was scrappin a large gasoline tank, wasn't dry enough, people heard the explosion nearly two miles away.
    Yeah for a few dollars for some dry ice…

22. Likes R600a, sammyray liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in