Thread: Replacing both AC units

Post Likes

Replacing both AC units

I live in Southern Louisiana and we need AC year round. I'm at the point where I'm gonna replace both of my units (I have a two story house). Details below. Asking opinions on specific brands/what would you do situation.

My upstairs unit is 2.5 ton copper coil system original to the house. It does not run as hard as our main unit, but it is at the end of its life (got 30 years!). Been having smaller issues more and more frequently, so we will proactively replace later this year or early next year. Amana unit.

Main unit is 4 ton aluminum coil single stage (Amana also). Its either 12 or 14 SEER. It's about 10 years old. We've had numerous problems with the inside coils over the life of the AC. I think the inside coils have been changed 4-5 times during its lifetime. Always some sort of leak inside the coils. Different areas, but it happens every other year like clockwork. My current AC guy has no answers. Even said it could be things we cook that get into the attic and corrode the metal (30 year old unit is in the same attic). He tried a few things over the years, but they invariably fail. I don't have high confidence in him, so I will be moving on to another contractor.

I've narrowed down my search to two local companies (both small family businesses). Both are recommended by some of my peers. One company installs Heil ACs. They are the cheapest overall, but they also do plumbing work and other jobs. The other company installs Goodman or Carrier systems. Both the Goodman and Carrier prices are similar (but more expensive than the other contractor), but Goodman has 10 years parts AND labor warranty. So if I have problems, I would not pay for anything for 10 years. This company exclusively deals with HVAC and has a good reputation.

My house is a little over 30 years old with regular insulation. It is not super air tight like newer homes. I'm thinking about a single stage 16SEER for upstairs, but I think I could benefit from a two stage unit downstairs where it runs more. Folks on another sports forum told me to stay away from variable speed compressors due to problems with moisture (and sometimes those are expensive to repair). I'm not super knowledgeable in HVAC. I just know we have problems far too often for my liking.

I know I'm all over the place with this....but wanted to give a lot of info. I'm asking opinions of what would you do in my situation. Both in regards to brand and single/two stage units for downstairs.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sosaysmorvant View Post

I live in Southern Louisiana and we need AC year round.

I'm at the point where I'm gonna replace both of my units (I have a two story house). Details below.

Asking opinions on specific brands/what would you do situation.

My upstairs unit is 2.5 ton copper coil system original to the house. It does not run as hard as our main unit, but it is at the end of its life (got 30 years!). Been having smaller issues more and more frequently, so we will proactively replace later this
    year or early next year. Amana unit.

Main unit is 4 ton aluminum coil single stage (Amana also).
    Its either 12 or 14 SEER. It's about 10 years old.

I know I'm all over the place with this....but wanted to give a lot of info.

I'm asking opinions of what would you do in my situation.
    Both in regards to brand and single/two stage units for downstairs.
    17 SEER, Two-stage systems
    AND DEHUMIDIFIER.

DB 78.4 HR 147.5 MCDB 83.2

CLIMATIC CONDTIONS __ Most Difficult in the US
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    The 10 year extended labor warranty on the Goodman is a nice feature on the bid. Gives you some piece of mind if you went that route. Hopefully Goodman is backing the warranty ( called Asure ) and not the Contractor, as if the Contractor goes out of business your extended labor warranty expires.

If you where to go with Goodman in a single stage 16 SEER besides a 10 year Copeland compressor warranty there is the parts and coil warranty, you also get a 2 year new whole outdoor unit if the compressor fails within the 1st two years. Course you need to register each piece of equipment they install, as manufacturers warranty decreases if never registered.

If you go two stage for the 1st floor those start at around 16 SEER and come in whole tonnage numbers such as 2,3,4 tons no .5 ton.

If you where to go with the Goodman two stage 16 SEER besides the 10 year coil and parts warranty, the compressor is warrantied for the life of the system to the original registered owner. Also if the Copeland compressor ever fails within the 1st 10 years ( registered original owner ) you get a complete new outdoor unit.

If you want rebates ( money in your pocket ) you would need to make sure they install AHRI rated matched systems that meets the minimum threshold for rebates in your state.

One source for rebates, ( your local utility company would be another contact ) Certainly the bidding Contractors should know all this also.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...iQc0GVu13UMfK_

There is also the Federal Tax Credits if your system meets a minimum SEER and EER for a straight A/C unit and adding HSPF if this is a Heat Pump.

https://www.energystar.gov/about/fed...ty_tax_credits

Should do a load calculation to see what sizes you really need especially if you tightened up your residence over the years. If you presently have hot/cold spots or whistling return or supply noises from registers now would be a good time to get those area addressed. May need modifications, sealing etc.

Here’s a free one ( donations accepted to support site ) https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...wxqi0c65CNPb1r

Make sure what the Contractors are bidding, that they can get those pieces, may want to have the model numbers listed on the contract, as homeowners have come here and mentioned that a piece was changed without being given options, and many times they installed a lower tier less expensive piece ( such as a furnace as an example only ) and had the gall to never tell the customer.

Heil brand has a no hassle warranty, meaning if compressor fails in a certain time period ( thinking it’s up to 5 years depending on model ) you get a new outdoor unit, not a replacement compressor to registered original owner. Besides the usual 10/10 warranty. Certainly Heil offers extended labor warranties also up to 10 years
    Last edited by Bazooka Joe; 09-23-2021 at 11:03 AM.

4. Likes sosaysmorvant liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Just for clarification, these are the warranties that were given to me:

Heil - 1 year parts and labor, 10 year parts
    Carrier - 1 year parts and labor, 10 year parts
    Goodman - 10 year parts and labor

BTW - not sure what all those numbers mean, dan! But I agree we live in a challenging climate....that's for sure.

Post Likes

Heil - 1 year parts and labor, 10 year parts
    Carrier - 1 year parts and labor, 10 year parts
    Goodman - 10 year parts and labor

BTW - not sure what all those numbers mean, dan! But I agree we live in a challenging climate....that's for sure.
    That’s not much clarification, depending on the Goodman model it was explained to you in detail what the manufacturers give you for the two 16 SEER models.

Heil, may want to get clarification of what that means as they are contradicting themselves, they say one year parts warranty then say 10 year parts warranty. As you know a Heil is under Carrier umbrella.

Same with the Carrier, need to ask exactly what they mean. Typically it’s a one year labor warranty and what ever the manufacturers offer for warranties such as 10/10 ( compressor, parts, coil )

Now you mention Carrier, but the Heil has a better manufacturers warranty as they offer a no hassle warranty.

You need to make sure your system gets registered to get the full manufacturers warranty, if not it drops.

What did they say about rebates and the Federal Tax Credits?

What did they say about your existing ductwork?

Post Likes
    Definitely get full model # of anything quoted. If they just say Carrier, there could be 4-5 different units of each size ranging from bottom feeder to Infinity variable speed.

8. Likes Bazooka Joe liked this post.
    Post Likes

P R E L I M I N A R Y

BTW - not sure what all those numbers mean, dan!

But I agree we live in a challenging climate....that's for sure.
    At some point, you have to GET TO STEP # 1 - Construction Details

HR - Humidity Ratio of 147
    is as high as possible in US.
    Latent Load is overwhelming.
    _________ ... ... Could be > 14,000 BTU/HR

ZIP _ _ _ _ _ ?
    Built 1989 ?

First Floor ___ 2,100 or ___ Sq Ft
    Second Floor _ 2,100 or ___ Sq Ft

Perimeter: ____ ' Width
    _____________ ' Depth

Wall Height: 8' ?

___ Total Sq Feet of Glass ? 550 to 800 ??
    or
    # of Windows
    North ___ #
    South
    East
    West

Type: Double or Single Pane
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in