+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Does your company drug test before hiring

Post Likes

Does your company drug test before hiring

There’s no nothing new about drug abuse in Hvac industry. We see more and more techs jumping from company to company because accidents took them to drug testing on emergency room. My company test before hire to weed out that problem . Have you encountered and how you deal with it?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nwdave View Post
    There’s no nothing new about drug abuse in Hvac industry. We see more and more techs jumping from company to company because accidents took them to drug testing on emergency room. My company test before hire to weed out that problem . Have you encountered and how you deal with it?
    Clean techs create clean installs

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

3. Likes R600a, Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    We don't nor do any reputable companies. Funny. Its the guys that test that have the guys that look like tweekers.

Post Likes
    I know the union does when you go in for the apprenticeship and every company I worked for did when first hired. Usually you only get tested after that if you get hurt and try to claim it. Personally testing for weed is dumb because you could have smoked a couple days ago and be completely sober and it will still come up. And most alcolohics can suck it up for a day to pass to get a job.

What people do in their own time is not my problem. So long as they don’t come to work drunk or high I don’t care if they do it after work.

6. Likes ksefan, doc havoc liked this post.
    Hurst11 is offline Professional Member/Membership Committee
    Post Likes
    Rather any companies do or not when a new hire comes in, they are way too easy to beat. I think a lot of it comes down to liability and insurance and if they can show they have done the testing I bet they get a break. Obviously if there is an accident then there should be one immediately afterwards and if one fails for weed well they have to know the risks of doing it. I also don’t care what anybody does on their own time and the weed stays in the system for awhile so that’s kinda slippery slope. Somebody may have smoked the week prior and had an accident but still fail a piss test wich would really suck but what does one do in that situation?

Post Likes
    Our Union has a contractual obligation to provide licensed, drug tested journeymen or women to the job.
    Today the Federal rules are followed.
    Difficult problem. At the Nat. Lab in Los Alamos hair samples have even been taken. The system really
    needs a weed test because of it's pervasiveness. Weed is legal in NM (as of April I think) so there's the problem.
    Most guys don't want to work with someone's impaired. Contractors don't want to lose good hands when they
    might not be affected at the time. Most here know how hard good help is to find. The Local has the good help
    but also has Fed rules.
    As it is, even if the Fed legalized weed the impairment rule would still be there. Probably there will be a weed test in our future. I would much rather work with a guy that had been stoned the night before than a guy with a hang over. The hang over guy will still have poor reactions and could still be stumbling. The stoner might still be digging the sunshine.
    One feels like crap and the other feels fine.

In the book, Brave New World, the writer talks about a pill called Soma. It seems a perfect fits all drug. Maybe the world needs Soma. The world will continue to get high. No matter how stiff the law is, even to the point of death, people want to take something. Many reasons. No Government can completely control it's people. Regardless of what they claim.
    But most governments are OK with alcohol. Argumentatively the most destructive drug out there.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

9. Likes ksefan, doc havoc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kangaroogod View Post

Come on can’t get too strict. I enjoy finding beer cans from the 50’s laying up in the attic.
    Sent from a mechanical closet!

11. Likes Zamoramax, crazzycajun, BALloyd liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kangaroogod View Post

Kanga are your new bosses testing too?? with all the money they spent buying you they may not be able to afford it anymore
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    Our Union has a contractual obligation to provide licensed, drug tested journeymen or women to the job.
    Today the Federal rules are followed.
    Difficult problem. At the Nat. Lab in Los Alamos hair samples have even been taken. The system really
    needs a weed test because of it's pervasiveness. Weed is legal in NM (as of April I think) so there's the problem.
    Most guys don't want to work with someone's impaired. Contractors don't want to lose good hands when they
    might not be affected at the time. Most here know how hard good help is to find. The Local has the good help
    but also has Fed rules.
    As it is, even if the Fed legalized weed the impairment rule would still be there. Probably there will be a weed test in our future. I would much rather work with a guy that had been stoned the night before than a guy with a hang over. The hang over guy will still have poor reactions and could still be stumbling. The stoner might still be digging the sunshine.
    One feels like crap and the other feels fine.

In the book, Brave New World, the writer talks about a pill called Soma. It seems a perfect fits all drug. Maybe the world needs Soma. The world will continue to get high. No matter how stiff the law is, even to the point of death, people want to take something. Many reasons. No Government can completely control it's people. Regardless of what they claim.
    But most governments are OK with alcohol. Argumentatively the most destructive drug out there.
    I quit alcohol, drugs, tobacco, etc over 30 yrs ago but agree I’ll take someone who had smoked the night before anyday over a hungover person. Alcohol is one of the worst drugs out there imo.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    Kanga are your new bosses testing too?? with all the money they spent buying you they may not be able to afford it anymore
    The show goes on with essentially zero change

Post Likes
    Just reading in a trade mag about differences.
    Mass Supreme Ct. ruled 2017 that the disability discrimination law can be used to challenge a dismissal of an employee.
    The court found an employer has a duty to engage in an interactive process to find a reasonable accommodation.
    CT, NJ, RI followed.

Nevada ruled an employer can't deny a job based on a pre-employment drug test.

CA, WA, MT, CO have ruled employers don't have to accommodate an employees' medical pot use.
    So again the lawyers will do OK.

Post Likes
    I am retired now, I was appalled at the blatant weed smoking by so many in the HVAC industry. Obviously the insurance companies have decided to just absorb their ignorance. One bunch smokes on top of the police department when servicing it. They have friends inside.

Las vegas wish I owned hell... I'd live there and rent vegas out since it'd be cooler...
    Post Likes
    Well mine didn't test me but If I have an accident and I test positive for something then I can kiss my job goodbye so that's my incentive to be clean.

Post Likes
    pre employment testing and testing upon any accidents. A good practice IMO

Post Likes
    I started testing after one tech just suddenly went from super tech to a constant F&$)up. Tested everyone includeing me except for you know who . He refused to take a test & I explained my reasons and assured him we would help . I was not looking for a way to terminate but a way to get him back to his former abilities. He chose to leave.
    I went back to work for one of the larger guys here in East Tx and right before I re-retired in June they rehired a dude that had per employee scuttlebutt been arrested in a company truck doing drugs. This company doesn't even do the background check required by the State.

Post Likes
    There's nothing like that in our company. We trust each other enough to know, that nobody will have such an idea to take anything before coming for the job. Same thing with alcohol. It's a small company, so maybe that's also why.

21. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fliks View Post
    I quit alcohol, drugs, tobacco, etc over 30 yrs ago but agree I’ll take someone who had smoked the night before anyday over a hungover person. Alcohol is one of the worst drugs out there imo.
    A guy I worked with used to get the shakes bad. He was fine on new construction because there was enough going on that nobody could tell he was hiding in the truck for some refreshments or could smell the booze on him but on residential re and re's he really struggled. I remember once dropping some sheet metal off for him and he asked me to braze in the AC lines because his hands were shaking like Michael J fox with a jackhammer.

Post Likes
    If any of y'all that get fired and you like your job, the decision might be challenged in some States.
    This is especially true with pot because of a likelihood the person might not be effected at the time.
    Some companies don't care about fairness and will claim Fed law. In that case maybe another job is
    a better choice.
    The company that fires a person for a drug test can't say why when another company inquires about
    the termination but some do elude to the why. Pauses, coughs, delay in an answer gives the caller a
    fair idea as to why.
    Companies almost give the assumption that there is no drug use except the people that actually do the work.
    Ya, right.....

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in